Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
horizontalrule
Hi,
How to add horizontalrul - 'Insert Horizontal Line' icon to CKEditor?

Thanks
Tom
A simple enough question. Sorry to say that in GetSimple it is absurdly difficult to do and there is no satisfactory answer, but here are three methods.

The easiest way is to go to Source and type <hr/> (I know, that isn't what you asked).

A fairly straightforward method is to install TinyMCE as the editor to get a button.

Ludicrously difficult and troublesome and risky is to read the wiki and attempt to configure GetSimple's CKEditor to show a button.
Wtf are you talking about ? It maddingly easy.
You just use a custom toolbar and add your button name to it in GSEDITORTOOL
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Do you want basic or advanced toolbar?
wtf am I talking about?

First - it isn't documented. I have been using GetSimple for 18months and have read the wiki from beginning to end and I don't know how to add this button or even if you can add it.

Second - presuming it is possible and once you have found some instructions it is going to involve ftp, manual backups and text editor to alter config files.

It is way more difficult than it should be, time consuming, easy to balls up, not simple to undo and totally beyond and outside of any normal idea of routine user setup. Just for a <hr/> tag
http://get-simple.info/wiki/how_to:edito...n_toolbars

How does mce make it any easier?
Yeah, that page doesn't mention hr but I suppose it does have a link to the ckeditor site where you would find the syntax for including the button. I would think all done in about 20mins for capable user if they have the patience.

TinyMCE I think provides a full set of controls by default. With the standard GS editor you can't even make a heading.
http://nightly.ckeditor.com/13-05-05-07-...olbar.html

took me 10 seconds.

PHP Code:
define('GSEDITORTOOL'"
    { name: 'document', groups: [ 'mode', 'document', 'doctools' ], items: [ 'Source' ] },
    { name: 'clipboard', groups: [ 'clipboard', 'undo' ], items: [ 'Cut', 'Copy', 'Paste', 'PasteText', 'PasteFromWord', '-', 'Undo', 'Redo' ] },
    { name: 'editing', groups: [ 'find', 'selection', 'spellchecker' ], items: [ 'Scayt' ] },
    '/',
    { name: 'basicstyles', groups: [ 'basicstyles', 'cleanup' ], items: [ 'Bold', 'Italic', 'Strike', '-', 'RemoveFormat' ] },
    { name: 'paragraph', groups: [ 'list', 'indent', 'blocks', 'align' ], items: [ 'NumberedList', 'BulletedList', '-', 'Outdent', 'Indent', '-', 'Blockquote' ] },
    { name: 'links', items: [ 'Link', 'Unlink', 'Anchor' ] },
    { name: 'insert', items: [ 'Image', 'Table', 'HorizontalRule', 'SpecialChar' ] },
    '/',
    { name: 'styles', items: [ 'Styles', 'Format' ] },
    { name: 'tools', items: [ 'Maximize' ] },
    { name: 'others', items: [ '-' ] },
    { name: 'about', items: [ 'About' ] }
"
); 

took me 30 seconds
imho there is a massive, gaping, hole in the 'best in class user interface' around the CKEditor.
Thanks guys, especially shawn_a Wink
(2013-05-06, 18:22:32)Timbow Wrote: imho there is a massive, gaping, hole in the 'best in class user interface' around the CKEditor.

Timbow, you are not fair

imho you are not seeing that the editor is NOT GS and there is no need to say "that one is better and this is shit.."

Before I had the idea that you have more understanding for coding and are able to find out things when there are enough hints

Sorry, I use <hr> in many toolbars and I never had problems, because I checked the editor documentation (and there are quite a lot of links to that documentation here!)

But I apologize that I did not document that element especially for you, I have no sooth-saying talent and my crystal ball must be cleaned ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Well the next version of gs will have this all taken care of. full toolbars and easier config. And plugins capability for a drag and drop configurator.
Excellent, it will be great.

Connie - there is nothing wrong with CKEditor and nothing better about TinyMCE afaik, I have just always found it frustrating that the editor is pretty much pointless in its default state and needs configuring like it does.
How is it pointless? Noeone ever suggests we add stuff, we make it simple for a reason.
Timbow,

that is very easy algebra:

the bigger the choice => the more the configuration => the more freedom

isn't it?
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
(2013-05-07, 07:05:53)Timbow Wrote: I have just always found it frustrating that the editor is pretty much pointless in its default state and needs configuring like it does.
Editor's default config is sufficient to provide management of essential content, and allow to maintain the page/site/webiste for a non technical users.
I always try to prepare wysiwyg editor usability to manage website's content exactly like I designed. There's no need to give users an "red alert" button. Otherwise you might just straightly ask for problems Smile

(2013-05-07, 07:26:58)shawn_a Wrote: How is it pointless? Noeone ever suggests we add stuff, we make it simple for a reason.

1. because users aren't aware of possibilities
2. because developers/designers know how to configure it in their own way
3. end-users just use a provided tool

edit:
ps. I'd add a full CKE toolbar to existing simple/advanced configs in GS (simple/advanced/full).
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
In 3.2.2 its called "none", might change it to auto or something before its final