Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update GS
My admin says I need to update to the latest GS but there is no upgrade info. I downloaded the latest and do I just dump files like initial instal? What about my site files, site is already built will it jack anything up? Thanks, L
You don't have to update.
But you can just install over your site, it will remove the install files if the site already exists.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
If you upload everything over, be careful if you are using Cardinal or Innovation theme and you had customized them, you would lose those changes.
Back up everything before upgrading anyway.
Always rename theme folders when customizing them,
(2013-06-20, 06:50:12)Scribbit Wrote: My admin says I need to update to the latest GS but there is no upgrade info....

http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation:upgrade
Yeah it's right there on the download page when you click the link.
Uploaded most recent release 3.3.0 to upgrade 3.2.2. Followed documented instructions but the CMS doesn't appear to have been changed in anyway. Still reports that a newer version is available. Huh
Either you did not upgrade properly or your api is failing, or api is still cached, try flush cache in settings.

Also the extend api is cached on the gs servers.
(2014-01-30, 00:22:06)shawn_a Wrote: Either you did not upgrade properly or your api is failing, or api is still cached, try flush cache in settings.

Not upgrading properly - if I understand this correctly, consists of extracting a zipped archive of files into the root of my current installation so that the new files overwrite the existing. Do I have that right? That is exactly what I did for the last update to the GS CMS. If I missed something please let me know.

Which API is it that you are referring to?

Definitely not a cache issue - already checked that.
The api is http://get-simple.info/api/start/v3.php?v=3.3.0
The gs data/cache folder contents are the cached responses
Upgraded quite a few sites to 3.3.0 today without any problem at all. They all required me to log in to admin to complete the upgrade. Does that apply to every upgrade now? only I should add it to the wiki.
Yes, see the changelog for 3.3.0:
Quote:[!] IMPORTANT: You must visit /admin after upgrading, front end will be temporarily closed now after updates/installs until update/install is completed
I added it to the install page, but i do not think I edited the upgrade page

Also you shouldn't have to actually login, visiting admin should be good.
(2014-01-29, 17:06:55)rcswm Wrote: Uploaded most recent release 3.3.0 to upgrade 3.2.2. Followed documented instructions but the CMS doesn't appear to have been changed in anyway. Still reports that a newer version is available. Huh

When i experienced this exact thing it was because i had messed up fileZilla's Site Manager (when adding sites by duplicating existing settings) so that the Site Manager said ThisSite but actually connected to OtherSite. Obviously uploading seemed to leave my site unchangedHuh

Not saying you would do anything dumb like that.
(2014-01-30, 00:22:06)shawn_a Wrote: Either you did not upgrade properly or your api is failing, or api is still cached, try flush cache in settings.

Those who use custom /admin path will step into problems after update.
I lost quite some time to figure out to manually delete cached files, thus I suggest to flush GS cache before update begins.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
How so?
What kind of problems?
I use custom paths and had no issues.
I got blank page after uploading, renaming /admin -> customadmin and trying to login
I had to revert back to using default /admin dir, manually delete all cached files, launch login panel, login > logout, change /admin to custom dir. Quite alot of hassle, while earlier versions were updating instantly.
That's why I'd suggest to also automatically clear cache during update.
Do you happen to still have your error log?

And what version where you upgrading from?
(2014-02-04, 10:33:19)shawn_a Wrote: Do you happen to still have your error log?

And what version where you upgrading from?

I'm glad you asked, as I'd completely forgot about what am I upgrading exactly. Tried lately to upgrade a clean 3.2.1 version with only admin path changed, and everything works smooth.
After looking at logs (luckily I've enabled debug mode), the problem lays in lack of additional language file in uploaded 3.3.0 /admin, and maybe in installed i18n plugins. There's also a warning in basic.php.
I'm not sure about exact time of update process, thus not all below entries might be related to updade.

Taken related entries from error log
Code:
PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'type' in /dev/www/desk/inc/basic.php on line 181
PHP Warning:  array_search() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /dev/www/plugins/i18n_navigation/editextras.php on line 18
PHP Notice:  Undefined index: children in /dev/www/plugins/i18n_navigation/editextras.php on line 17
PHP Warning:  include_once(): Failed opening '/dev/www/desk/lang/pl_PL.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /dev/www/desk/inc/common.php on line 156
PHP Warning:  array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /dev/www/desk/inc/basic.php on line 652

I'll try to update my theme's page to latest 3.3.0 during weekend, and check if it isn't only a problem with non existan language file during update.
fyi, logs are always active, no debug required.

I am assuming this issue is a special instance where something is hardcoding admin path to "admin" and your hint of language file might be what I am missing to reproduce.

But your logs say nothing about any paths being "/admin" and they are not "fatal" errors.

You also just said everything worked smooth, so I am not sure what to make of this, what did NOT work smooth? Is this another instance you tested unrelated to the first report? are you jumping around, its a very hard to follow narrative.

See if your log has any "Fatal" errors or anything looking in path "/admin" not found
I just upgraded 3.2.2 to 3.3.0 with a custom admin path and language and it worked fine.

I did not test with en_US removed however.

I see no problem here, unless you have some plugin issue, nor can i imagine how clearing cache would make any difference, the upgrade script does that. Also cache is only api calls and the stylesheet.

Again no issues.

If I had to guess you forgot to rename your admin directory and copy your language over before upgrading or had some browser cache issue. shrug

For custom admin directories I would suggest making a backup of custom admin, copying the admin folder into the custom admin, so that you do not have to move any custom added files like languages

This is easier than renaming folders and moving languages etc.
Nno no, I was using custom /admin dir named "desk" in one of GS instances, and before updating I was firstly renaming current /desk dir to something like /desk_old, uploading new v3.3.0 /admin, renaming it to /desk and launching http://website/desk.

I had a smooth update with a fresh GS 3.2.1 test instance upgraded to 3.3.0 with only custom /admin dir. No additional plugins, themes, no custom changes, no content etc.

Sites recently updated, with which I had problems used many plugins and components. Thus I thought it might be also problem with i18n caching functions.

Now I'm starting to wonder what the hell was the issue. The only thing I can blame is default PHP 5.4 APC cache system - just looked a bit deeper into phpinfo() - where deleted or renamed directories aren't refreshed instantly by server. That's why I could get blank page.
Very interesting.
Let me know if you encounter this again or get bored and try to revert and reproduce.

And I will keep an eye out for anything like this.

I'll also check to see if any hooks are being called during install perhaps a plugin was trying to do something.
Also if you navigate directly to install.php you might have issues with the upgrade script not running.
That instruction was wrong ever since 3.0 , and should have never been in the wiki.