Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GetSimple Blog
Brick 
GetSimple Blog
Version 3.4.2

A simple and easy to use, yet powerful blog for GetSimple. With this plugin, you can create blog posts, sort posts by category, view posts in monthly archives, plus much more. I welcome any and all suggestions for future improvements, and if you find any bugs, then please let me know.

This version of GetSimple Blog is a fork of the original GS Blog 1.5 plugin by @mikeh and is now being actively developed and maintained by me. As many issues as I could find in the original version have been fixed now, plus a lot of functionality has been added with plenty more additions still to come.

More information about this plugin, including what the future holds for it, the changelog from when I took over, plus the main documentation can be found on my website. Just follow the links at the top of this post!

Language Support
  • English (en_US) - Maintained by John Stray (johnstray2001)
  • British English (en_GB) - Maintained by John Stray (johnstray2001)
  • German (de_DE) - Maintained by (gschintgen)
  • Spanish (es_ES) - Maintained by (ferchosj & jEsuSdA)
  • French (fr_FR) - Maintained by Tanguy Jacquet (jeckyl) & (Madvic & gschintgen)
  • Italian (it_IT) - Maintained by Nicola Laviola (nikynik)
  • Norwegian (no_NB) - Maintained by (helgesverre)
  • Polish (pl_PL) - Maintained by (Every0ne)
  • Russian (ru_RU) - Maintained by (f30d0r)
Translators are always welcome. If you speak a language that is not in this list, then please feel free to PM me ad become a translator today. I'd very much like to have this plugin translated to as many languages as possible.

Version 3.4.3
Scheduled: 30 September 2016 - Estimated: 30 November 2016
Version 3.4.2 now available on GitHub

Use this forum for FEATURE REQUESTS and SUPPORT
Any BUGS that you might find should be directed to the GitHub project page found at the link above.
Before submitting a new issue, please check that the issue doesn't already exist, both open or closed.
Check out my website: JohnStray.com
Lightbulb 
WANTED: Translators for language files.

I am looking for people who are willing to come on board as translators for this plugin. At the current point in time, languages other than English have not had their language files updated.
If you wish to participate, I will credit you in the language file and in this forum as the primary person maintaining the language.

I could use Google Translate, but that's just lazy and not overly accurate.

The primary languages I'm looking to focus on are:
  • German - DE_de
  • Spanish - ES_es
  • Russian - RU_ru
  • French - FR_fr
  • Danish - DA_da
If however, you speak any other languages, you can add those languages too.

If you are interested, please PM me and let me know.
Thanks for keeping this plugin going it's one of my favorites. I'm having some trouble with the installation. I installed it under plugins and changed to write permissions in the data and backups folders recursively. But for some reason I'm receiving the following warning once I click on the Blog tab:

Fatal error: Class 'Blog' not found in ~/plugins/gs-blog-3.php on line 47

Any help you could give would be great thanks
it's not working on wamp serwer ;( what localhost you are recommend to work with get simple ?

screen:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4998...-05-13.jpg[/php]
user plugin: scroll to top
Nice that you take over the GS Blog project.

Would be nice if you put a link to the original plugin in plugin description on Extend so that people will better understand this is the continued version, instead of based on something else.

Btw. why is it version 3 instead of version 2?
I get the following error when on the Blog tab:

FATAL ERROR: CLASS 'BLOG' NOT FOUND IN (...) \WWW\PLUGINS\GS-BLOG-3.PHP ON LINE 47

tested both in 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 beta2 online and localhost.

Actually, if I check frontend of the site I get:

Fatal error: Class 'Blog' not found in (...) \www\plugins\gs-blog-3.php on line 209
Bug 
Thanks @timenerd17, @xxdex and @datiswous for bring this to my attention. I have been able to reproduce the error. I am working on a fix for the next version. I will release version 3.1 later today.

Edit:

Temporary fix:
Deactivate the blog file in plugins tab.
Rename plugin file from gs-blog-3.php to blog.php
Rename plugin folder from gs-blog-3 to blog.

The renaming of the file to something other than blog.php in the first place was because of the Extend API and the way it works. It's so there would be any clashing with the old GS Blog 1.4.
Brick 
OK. Version 3.1 has now been released on Extend.
i have a bad luck i think ;(

plugin is crashing a get-simple...
when i click a activate on blog i have a error
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4998...vate_1.jpg

after this.. i refresh page and ... everything is disappears from back-end.. and front-end
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4998...vate_2.jpg

only when i delete files from plugins directory:
gs-blog folder and gs-blog.php files.. everythig is going back to previous (is visible)

im testing a version 3.1 gs blog
im using a 3.3.1 get-simple..

im trying activate this plugin with all plugins disabled. effect is the same
everything is disappears
John:

I installed the new version and with it activated, I am getting:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in ~/plugins/gs-blog.php on line 36

There seemed to be an extra space before 'manage' in the array. I closed it but that didn't clear the error.

What could it be?
Bug 
(2014-05-14, 19:33:48)xxdex Wrote: i have a bad luck i think ;(

plugin is crashing a get-simple...
when i click a activate on blog i have a error
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4998...vate_1.jpg

after this.. i refresh page and ... everything is disappears from back-end.. and front-end
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4998...vate_2.jpg

only when i delete files from plugins directory:
gs-blog folder and gs-blog.php files.. everythig is going back to previous (is visible)

im testing a version 3.1 gs blog
im using a 3.3.1 get-simple..

im trying activate this plugin with all plugins disabled. effect is the same
everything is disappears
Try enabling Debug Mode and see if any PHP errors show up.

I think it might be because you have GetSimple installed to a subfolder instead of the root of your website. I haven't tested this theory, but I will when I get home from work in about 3 hours. In the mean time, try the debug mode test and report what you see.
This gives the following error (tested on localhost):

Quote:Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in ~\plugins\gs-blog.php on line 36
Apart from error, page is blanc.

How do you test your plugins?

Edit:

It seems when I disable the following line in gs-blog.php
Code:
$blog_settings_button = 'Settings' // A plain old title for now.
by using /* */ it works, but I still get another error:
Quote:Notice: Undefined variable: blog_settings_button in ~\plugins\gs-blog.php on line 42
So I dissable that line as well:
Code:
/* add_action('blog-sidebar','createSideMenu',array($thisfile, $blog_settings_button,'settings')); */
Ok error is gone, but on Create post page I get 2 errors:
1:
Quote:WARNING: INCLUDE(~/PLUGINS/GS-BLOGCKEDITOR.PHP) [<A HREF='FUNCTION.INCLUDE'>FUNCTION.INCLUDE</A>]: FAILED TO OPEN STREAM: NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY IN ~\GS-BLOG\INC\ADMINFUNCTIONS.PHP ON LINE 692
2:
Quote:WARNING: INCLUDE() [<A HREF='FUNCTION.INCLUDE'>FUNCTION.INCLUDE</A>]: FAILED OPENING '~/PLUGINS/GS-BLOGCKEDITOR.PHP' FOR INCLUSION (INCLUDE_PATH='.;C:\PHP\PEAR') IN ~\PLUGINS\GS-BLOG\INC\ADMINFUNCTIONS.PHP ON LINE 692

Edit 2:

On line 692 of ADMINFUNCTIONS.PHP there is the following code:
Code:
include BLOGPLUGINFOLDER."ckeditor.php";
I think this should be:
Code:
include BLOGPLUGINFOLDER."/ckeditor.php";

All errors gone.

Edit 3:
Bug: When on the main Blog admin-page, you see some text and a link: There are no posts found. Click Here To Create One
The link points to ~/admin/load.php?id=blog&create_post instead of ~/admin/load.php?id=gs-blog&create_post . Clicking on the link gets you to the Plugins page.

Edit 4: If I try creating a post, both Save Post and Cancel buttons bring me to the Plugins page, Posts are not created. Same with Categories.

Url for cancel button points to ~/admin/load.php?id=blog&cancel instead of ~/admin/load.php?id=gs-blog&cancel (tested, works).
@datiswous is right,
its a Parse error:
syntax error, unexpected 'add_action' (T_STRING) in C:\wamp\www\2014-05-14_get\plugins\gs-blog.php on line 36
i'm was a enable debbug mode on:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4998...405-14.jpg
Forgot the following:

With a fresh install the xml files in ~/data/other still have to be made.
3 of 4 are made successfully, so you will see the following error (2 times), seems an internal error from GS or plugin (?):
Quote:Catastrophic ERROR!!! - You are going to need to copy the contents of the below file, save it as a new document namned "blog_custom_fields.xml" and then move it to the "~/data/other/" folder!
XML File To Copy: ~/data/other/blog_custom_fields.xml

namned = spelling error?

above that is the server error:
Quote:WARNING: COPY(~/PLUGINS/GS-BLOGINC/RESERVED_BLOG_CUSTOM_FIELDS.XML) [<A HREF='FUNCTION.COPY'>FUNCTION.COPY</A>]: FAILED TO OPEN STREAM: NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY IN ~\PLUGINS\GS-BLOG\CLASS\PRIMARY\BLOG.PHP ON LINE 121
The file location should have been ~/PLUGINS/GS-BLOG/INC/RESERVED_BLOG_CUSTOM_FIELDS.XML

Btw. xml file after manual copy to ~/data/other has to be renamed to blog_custom_fields.xml
My installation is also in a subfolder which is addressed as a subdomain.
Bug 
datiswous and xxdex, your issues are related to a missing semi-colon after the following code (my bad):
Code:
$blog_settings_button = 'Settings' // A plain old title for now.

datiswous, Edits 2,3 & 4 I will have to fix. It has to do with the change in plugin name from the 1.4 version (was changed because of the way the Extend API works).

datiswous, The XML file issue I would say is because of some weird permissions error? Maybe check your servers error logs, and check that you have write permissions to /data and /backups
snooze, I still need to check into that to see if its an issue.
(2014-05-15, 03:29:36)johnstray2001 Wrote: datiswous, The XML file issue I would say is because of some weird permissions error? Maybe check your servers error logs, and check that you have write permissions to /data and /backups

I tested this all on localhost so shouldn't be a permission issue.

The error (in ~/data/other/logs/errorlog.txt) says:
Quote:[14-May-2014 17:20:03 Europe/Amsterdam] PHP Warning: copy(~/plugins/gs-bloginc/reserved_blog_custom_fields.xml) [<a href='function.copy'>function.copy</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ~\gs331\plugins\gs-blog\class\primary\Blog.php on line 121

The file location

~/plugins/gs-bloginc/reserved_blog_custom_fields.xml

should be:

~/plugins/gs-blog/inc/reserved_blog_custom_fields.xml

That is the reason, I think.
Brick 
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone so far.

I have now released a bug fix version (v3.1.1) on Extend that addresses all the issues currently raised. I have done testing to check that these issues no longer occur.

All testing is done in 2 locations (for those who are curious):
- WAMP Apache 2.5 on Windows 7 x64 with GetSimple 3.3.1
- Microsoft IIS 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with GetSimple 3.3.1

Please keep the bugs coming in so that I can continue to improve this plugin.
Hi, thanks for the update. Seems to work well.

Found a bug: Go to Categories and click on rss feed. I get the following error:

Quote:You don't have permission to access /plugins/blog/rss.php on this server.

Since it should be /plugins/gs-blog/rss.php ...

Tested on localhost.

Edit: See     . If I delete the 4 xml files and refresh, they are recreated. The messages: 3 are shown of 4 (which is blog_custom_fields.xml ). First message is:
Quote:data/other/blog_categories.xml Directory Successfully Created
This is a xml file, not a Directory.
Anyway not very important, see what you do with it.
Brick 
Version 3.1.2 just released!

This version contains the following changes:
  • Fixed a URL in manage_custom_feilds.php
  • Fixed 2 URLs in the Primary Class File blog.php
  • String 'Directory Successfully Created' changed to 'File Successfully Created' for categories XML file in EN_us language file.
great job @johnstray2001 thank you!

its a possible to add a different settings for a different categories ? i mean
to do it like category name1 will be displayed on page named sports
and the category name2 will be displayed on page named eating..
options like:
"Page to display blog posts:", comments, and others.
should be a different for all categories..
"Assign This Post To A Category:"
i think the better one will be multi check area.. not only one..
what when someone want to input a post to two categories ?
its only idea for a future, but i think... this can be real awesome plugin to get a news, blogs, and products catalog list and images...
Thanks.

Found a bug: Go to Categories and click on rss feed of created category. I get the following 3 errors:
Quote:Notice: Use of undefined constant BLOGFILE - assumed 'BLOGFILE' in ~\plugins\gs-blog\inc\common.php on line 18
Quote:Notice: Use of undefined constant BLOGFILE - assumed 'BLOGFILE' in ~\plugins\gs-blog\inc\common.php on line 19
Quote:Fatal error: Class 'Blog' not found in ~\plugins\gs-blog\rss.php on line 3
(2014-05-16, 06:08:21)xxdex Wrote: its a possible to add a different settings for a different categories ? i mean
to do it like category name1 will be displayed on page named sports
and the category name2 will be displayed on page named eating..

Yeah, or with tags. And on different parts of the page (maybe this is already possible with Custom Blog Page Layout function, but I haven't figured it out yet, a bit complicated)
Bug 
datiswous,
The constant isn't defined in common.php which is the file that rss.php includes for all its information, rather it's actually defined in the main gs-blog.php file which, when you call the rss.php file directly, doesn't go anywhere near it. So I fixed the issue by adding a check in the common.php file to see if the constant has been defined, and if it has not (ie. not called by gs-blog.php) then it will define it accordingly. However, after fixing that problem, a few others arose that appear when you call rss.php when no posts exist. I will have to make some changes to the generateRSSFeed function in the primary blog class to accommodate for this. All of these issues will be fixed and checked, then I will release a new version with the updates.
Keep an eye out for the next version, v3.1.3
Question 
xxdex,
This can be done reasonably easily.

You will first need to install the DynPages plugin from Extend.
After you have installed it and activated it on the plugins tab, create a new component and in it type the following:
Code:
<?php show_blog_category($category); ?>
where $category is the name of the category for the posts you wish to display.

Next, edit the page you wish to show the posts on and add the following to it:
Code:
{% name_of_component %}
where 'name_of_component' is the name that you gave to the component in the previous step.

Save the page and watch the magic.