Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GetSimple Blog
Information 
Version 3.4.2 is now available on Extend.
This version includes the following changes:

Back End (Admin) Changes:
  • [#088] Added paging of posts list on Post Management page. Qty per page is determined by "# posts per page" blog setting. - This might still need a bit of work to make it look a bit neater.
  • [#088] Implemented Column width limiting on Post Management page; Prevents line-wrapping, making things a bit neater.
  • [#088] Removed redundant "Custom Fields" button on Post Management page.
  • [#087] Moved RSS Feed Title and Description to the correct settings page. Cleaned up layout of Main Settings page.
  • [#088] Post searching feature now available on Post Management page.
  • [#064] Sorted out the Spanish es_ES language file. Some translations may be incomplete or incorrect.

Bug Fixes:
  • [#074] Missed part of this fix... Whoops...
  • [#089] Identified and fixed inline string castings
  • [#091] Fixed PHP Warning: Constants may only evaluate to scalar values - Added an array selector to select the correct language code from the array.
  • [#092] Fixed PHP syntax error: Improperly formatted array and missing trailing semicolon.
  • [#093] Fixed PHP syntax error: Missing closing bracket for _if_ statement.
  • [#094] Fixed a reference to older code causing the <language> tag to not be set in the RSS Feed.

Front End UI Improvements:
  • [#083] Category and Date are now links to their relevant category or archive page when showing a post or in a list.
  • [#081] All list sections (categories, archives, tags, search) now include layout-listBefore and layout-listAfter files.

Code Changes:
  • [#080] Even better date internationalisation on both the front end and the backend. Creating/editing a post will now accept any date format supported by strtotime(), including "today".
Check out my website: JohnStray.com
3.4.2 install problem:

PHP Code:
WarningDOMDocument::createCDATASection() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in 
\admin\inc\basic.php on line 218
Call Stack
#    Time    Memory    Function    Location
1    0.0005    251968    {main}( )    ..\load.php:0
2    0.0318    1995936    call_user_func_array
:{\admin\load.php:39} ( )    ..\load.php:39
3    0.0318    1996464    blog_admin_controller
( )    ..\load.php:39
4    0.0318    1996968    Blog
->__construct( )    ..\adminFunctions.php:18
5    0.0320    2004312    Blog
->saveSettings( )    ..\Blog.php:110
6    0.0321    2009184    SimpleXMLExtended
->addCData( )    ..\Blog.php:567
7    0.0321    2009528    createCDATASection 
( )    ..\basic.php:218

( ! ) Catchable fatal errorArgument 1 passed to DOMNode::appendChild() must be an instance of DOMNode,

null givencalled in \plugins\gs-blog\class\Blog.php on line 567 
and defined in \admin\inc\basic.php on line 218
Call Stack
#    Time    Memory    Function    Location
1    0.0005    251968    {main}( )    ..\load.php:0
2    0.0318    1995936    call_user_func_array
:{\admin\load.php:39} ( )    ..\load.php:39
3    0.0318    1996464    blog_admin_controller
( )    ..\load.php:39
4    0.0318    1996968    Blog
->__construct( )    ..\adminFunctions.php:18
5    0.0320    2004312    Blog
->saveSettings( )    ..\Blog.php:110
6    0.0321    2009184    SimpleXMLExtended
->addCData( )    ..\Blog.php:567 
how to fix it ?
tested in new install get simple, and get simple 3.3.10 / the same's errors
user plugin: scroll to top
Thanks for the info xxdex. Could you please tell me what you were doing at the time? Having a read of the code, it looks like you were trying to save/update your settings. If this is the case, were any of the settings blank/empty?
Cant use, whole site dissapears and i get blank page after installing plugin.
Ihave news manager, news manager addon and gallery plugin activatet.
Riiana: News manager and GSBlog are unable to happily co-exist with each other. Please use one or the other.
(2016-08-16, 11:49:40)johnstray2001 Wrote: Thanks for the info xxdex. Could you please tell me what you were doing at the time? Having a read of the code, it looks like you were trying to save/update your settings. If this is the case, were any of the settings blank/empty?

My problem is the same like:

(2016-08-17, 16:11:51)Riianna Wrote: Cant use, whole site dissapears and i get blank page after installing plugin.
Ihave news manager, news manager addon and gallery plugin activatet.

New install GetSimple (clear install without install other plugins)
then install a New GetSimple Blog.
Afer going to tab "Blog" site is white -> empty | error what i was send to You 'johnstray2001' is because i was enable a debug mode in GetSimple.
-------------
I'm was find a solution: INSTALL getsimple-blog_3.4.0.zip
enable it in getsimple admin
after this: add some category:
after this: overwrite a files in plugin folder gs-blog and file gs-blog.php from the new version.

it's not recomended solving problem. but is i think is work.

johnstray2001 - you plugin is better from news manager because we can use it as a news manager by category list. multilanguage from categories. and other categories for other site's,
- this is only my opinion.
Future updated idea -
add one post to couple categories
look at the: https://select2.github.io/examples.html
seccond feature:
multilevel tree blog categories - hard one to do  Wink
Fresh GS install, no other plugins. Still i get blank page and cant add categories or anything because in admin section the "Blog" tab gives blank page too. Im using GS in local machine.
(2016-08-18, 20:19:08)Riianna Wrote: Fresh GS install, no other plugins. Still i get blank page and cant add categories or anything because in admin section the "Blog" tab gives blank page too. Im using GS in local machine.

Try my fix solution: one post above
I've figured it out. A fix will be available in the next minor update.

For now, do this:

- Open "/plugins/gs-blog/class/Blog.php"
- Find line 74: " 'lang' => i18n_r(BLOGFILE.'/LANGUAGE_CODE'), "
- add "[0]" before the comma so you have " 'lang' => i18n_r(BLOGFILE.'/LANGUAGE_CODE')[0], "
(2016-08-18, 21:24:51)johnstray2001 Wrote: I've figured it out. A fix will be available in the next minor update.

For now, do this:

- add "[0]" before the comma so you have " 'lang' => i18n_r(BLOGFILE.'/LANGUAGE_CODE')[0], "

That worket tnx, everything works now and no conflict with news managerBig Grin.
(2016-08-18, 21:24:51)johnstray2001 Wrote: I've figured it out. A fix will be available in the next minor update.

For now, do this:

where here is the like button? Thank's johnstray2001 Smile
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░
███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█░░
██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀░░░
Getting some problems here - when I try to upgrade an existing blog running 3.2.2, I either get a HTTP 500 server error, or when I click 'activate' next to Gs-blog on the plugins page I just get a red box saying 'error'.

Trying to upgrade as I'm hoping it fixes a problem I'm having with v3.2.2 - that when "Show post excerpt in meta description:" is set, the home page of the blog's meta description is the meta description of the last entry on the page - search engine suicide. I'd like it to use the site description on front page...

Many thanks for all your hard work Smile
The HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is more than likely caused by a PHP error or warning. Please check your server's error logs and report back here what you find. It may be that the error has already been fixed, but the fix hasn't been released yet. Please try downloading the source version from the GitHub page and installing that.

I've not come across the Search Engine Suicide bug yet, so this is something that I will have to look into. I will report back here with my findings and if required, add a fix into the next release.
Great plugin! Thanks!

I'm having trouble with the thumbnail function. I think there should be a browse/upload button here? This is what I see:

[Image: upload.png]

BTW, I'm using Firefox and Chrome on OSX.
Any ideas?
JaapV: From the screenshot you have posted, you appear to be using an older version of this plugin. Please update to the latest version available a see if that solves your problem.
Brick 
Version 3.4.3 is now available on Extend.
This version includes the following changes:

Feature Enhancements:
  • [#095] A few minor imrovements to the RSS generator:
    • <description> now respects the excerpt length setting.
    • Added <content:encoded> tag to include the full text including html of the post.
    • Added <pubDate> tag to each post in the feed.
    • Added <generator> tag to the <channel>.
  • [#102] Minor enhancements to the Posts Management page:
    • Search button is now hidden when there are no posts in the database.
    • The search field is now shown by default when listing the results of a search. Allows use of the 'Cancel' button to clear a search.
    • When showing the results of a search and no posts were found, a new message is now displayed instead of the default no posts message.
    • Covnerted no posts message to use the <h5> tag instead of <strong>, added centre alignment and fixed missing closing tag. <h4> used for notice on no search results.
    • The page navigation container box is now hidden when there are no posts on the page.
    • Category Admin Page: Removed the uncecessary 'Or Cancel' button in the 'Add Category' box
    • Added unversal alignment layouts and properties for the search box on the posts admin page and the add category box on the category admin page.

Bug Fixes:
  • [#097] Fixed unprotected quotes in Russian language file.
  • [#098] Fixed critical error where adding a node to the settings xml would fail because an array was given when a string was expected.
  • [#100] Fixed "Search Engine Suicide" bug where the meta description of a multi-post page would contain the excerpt of the last post on the page.
  • [#105] Corrected a spelling error in a variable name in versionCheck.php.
  • [#106] Removed a runaway closing </p> tag on the Post Editor page.

Core Code Changes:
  • [#090] Implemented a function that will read, reorder, then write the plugins.xml file so that the 'user-managment.php (MultiUser)' plugin will work as expected.
  • [#109] Rewrote the class constructor function: Added check for missing or redundant settings in the settings file and update if required.

Languages:
  • [#099] Updates to the Russian language file thanks to f30d0r.

Note: I have decided to forego the re-creation of the blog as SimpleBlog and instead focus on adding new features and fixes to the existing GetSimple Blog. This is due to the fact that I don't have as much time as I would like to be able to put into this project, so I decided that this would be more efficient. As a result of this decision, a number of older Feature issues on the GitHub page have been re-opened with the aim of adding as many as I can to the next major release (v3.5.0). A release date has not yet been set, but I will do my best to get as much as possible done within the next six months.

Stay tuned for a major new feature in 3.5.0 : PureBlog!
ACHTUNG!! I'm getting a trojan alert when downloading the plugin from this link: http://get-simple.info/extend/export/706...e-blog.zip
I get the same thing with most of the plugins on extend.

Its Windows Defender doing that. Not sure what it's got against perfectly good ZIP files from here. I can guarantee it's a false positive. If you want to be absolutely sure, download from the GitHub page. There you can see exactly what's in the zip.

Maybe try a real Internet security solution like AVG.
Hi
I have a peculiar error on my site. The words "Blog Settings File successfully written!" are written in the front page of the site. I working in a local environment... maybe is that or something else

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If this is showing all the time, you may have been one of the few that downloaded the latest update too soon. When I released the update, there was a small issue with the settings file creation being done every time the blog class was instantiated. I discovered that problem within minutes of the release, and promptly fixed it and re uploaded the file. I had hoped I had done it quick enough that this didn't affect anyone.

Try re downloading the blog and re installing it. See if that fixes your problem.
I updated to 3.4.3 with a fresh download and now I get this too: "Blog Settings File successfully written!"
And I still don't have the thumbnail upload option.

Could you please advise?

============

I tried reinstalling the plugin, but still no result.
Ok, maybe try getting a copy of the master from the GitHub project page.

https://GitHub.com/johnstray/gs-blog/
(2016-12-20, 20:58:55)johnstray2001 Wrote: Ok, maybe try getting a copy of the master from the GitHub project page.

https://GitHub.com/johnstray/gs-blog/

I got it right now from github and have the same

Quote:Blog Settings File successfully written!
Blog Settings File successfully written!
Blog Settings File successfully written!

on the frontpage. and the menu in blog admin is there, but doesn't do anything.

btw:
Which themes are reported to be working with your blog plugin?
I think I see the problem.

In gs-blog/class/Blog.php on line 75, change:
Code:
$update_settings = true;
to
Code:
$update_settings = false;