Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mutiple Installs - One host
(2014-03-11, 12:31:45)mdombrock Wrote: Once again these sites are totally separate and serve totally different purposes so i'm not sure if there is an appropriate way to have them both on the same install.

Just to be clear, you have two separate installations of GS (not two sites on a single installation)? You have two different domain names or two distinct subdomains?

A shared hosting server is not a problem, per se, as long as your hosting provider doesn't disallow multiple domains on the same account. However, it will be necessary to have your part of the server configured for multiple domains. For example, if you have cPanel, it's under Domains -> Addon Domains, where you can specify the directory for the root of each additional domain name, or Domains -> Subdomains for subdomains of the original domain name. (I hope you can follow this.)

I would expect the primary domain name for your hosting (the one you used when the hosting account was first established) to have /public_HTML as its root and this was probably also set for the root of the www. subdomain. I would also expect that subsequent (additional) (sub)domain names should be above that directory, and the Addon Domains or Subdomains configured accordingly.

As all the sites on that server have the same public IP address, this configuration is necessary for incoming requests to be directed to the right place, otherwise you get the kind of results that you are reporting.

It might be useful if you can tell us the name of your hosting provider, the hosting package you have and what the control panel is.

If you're already aware of all this, I apologise for the noise ... ;-)
--
Nick.

Messages In This Thread
Mutiple Installs - One host - by mdombrock - 2014-03-11, 12:31:45
RE: Mutiple Installs - One host - by Timbow - 2014-03-11, 18:54:15
RE: Mutiple Installs - One host - by mdombrock - 2014-03-11, 18:59:11
RE: Mutiple Installs - One host - by shawn_a - 2014-03-11, 21:58:05
RE: Mutiple Installs - One host - by mdombrock - 2014-03-12, 03:00:57
RE: Mutiple Installs - One host - by shawn_a - 2014-03-12, 03:57:00
RE: Mutiple Installs - One host - by hameau - 2014-03-13, 06:10:26