Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google says "This site may be hacked"
(2017-05-19, 05:20:04)JimDakin Wrote: This started out with a call to me from someone claiming to be GoDaddy. I assumed scam.

But...
1) the Google search form my website does say "This site may be hacked"
2) I called GoDaddy back using the phone number on the GoDaddy website and they said the same thing. That call from me to GoDaddy led to the message from GoDaddy back to me which I shared above.

Meantime...
3) my simple, passive, non-interactive website seems fine.

Yes, clearly something needs to be done to clear the Google flag. As Tim says, the site can be working correctly but still have other files – active or not – in your web space.

Several of those files (at least, of the ones that can be reached publicly) certainly exist and none of them are likely to have originated from normal use of GetSimple, which will only store its data in .xml files.

I'm not familiar with GoDaddy from direct experience, and I don't doubt your reported timeline of events, but I'm still suspicious of that email message. If it really is from GoDaddy and not just coincidental with you contacting them, on what basis are they coming up with the list of 'suspicious' files? (Rhetorical question.)

Presuming that your site is hosted on a GoDaddy account that is directly under your control, I would change access passwords, completely wipe the webspace and reinstall GetSimple. Then follow the Google procedure to get your site reassessed.
--
Nick.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Google says "This site may be hacked" - by hameau - 2017-05-19, 18:48:37