Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would like some input
My web site is about to go live this week and as such I would like some of your input in to the work ive done.

The layout is loosely based off of a theme here called mycompany. I did my own CSS styling and created the bulk of my own images including the monitor and slider ads and ad graphics with the exception of some of the icons.

I havent gone in to perform cleanup on my css code yet but will do that closer to the first ad campaign.

There still things im working on such as getting content collected and creating some childs for the services but I would like some input on the look of things.

I just used the theme as a visual inspiration all of the coding was done by hand by me.

http://www.bhwebco.com
I moved this post to the adaequate section here in the forum ;=)

There are 3 HTML-errors. see here: http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&...bco.com%2F

the menue in the footer is barely readable. too small and too dark
this grey / dark grey / dark red is a combination which is difficult to read for me, even that I am not colour-blind
it gives a somber impression, I would suggest more light colours... what do you think?
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Those validation errors are meaningless, they are just erroneous parsing errors that don't exist in my code. I don't check for errors till the very last so if thats all it kicked back then thats a plus. Would like thoughts on the visual though, i have the technical side under control
it's a really nice site Brian. Good Job!

You need to look carefully at what happens in small browser windows and small screen sizes. ATM it isn't what you intended I am sure (!). I am not getting any horizontal scroll bar which normally is good but not in this case. Only looked at FF & Opera.

Really like the graphics. Like the subtle slide show in the screen.

I can see you haven't done the SEO yet. When you do you should think about location. Took me a while to work out if you were in Australia, Bombay, Croydon or somewhere. It matters to customers, You don't want to be fielding pointless enquiries from around the World but you do want to be competing hard for business close to home. But what do I know, it's your call?
(2012-12-16, 01:02:57)Timbow Wrote: it's a really nice site Brian. Good Job!

You need to look carefully at what happens in small browser windows and small screen sizes. ATM it isn't what you intended I am sure (!). I am not getting any horizontal scroll bar which normally is good but not in this case. Only looked at FF & Opera.

Really like the graphics. Like the subtle slide show in the screen.

I can see you haven't done the SEO yet. When you do you should think about location. Took me a while to work out if you were in Australia, Bombay, Croydon or somewhere. It matters to customers, You don't want to be fielding pointless enquiries from around the World but you do want to be competing hard for business close to home. But what do I know?

Thanks, yeah I havent even touched SEO yet, did a little meta data and keywords on a few of the pages but when I go through my cleanup phase most of it will be altered, have to do another keyword research session tho. Hopefully I can get initial content loaded before working most of the SEO just
(2012-12-16, 00:11:51)bhwebco Wrote: Those validation errors are meaningless, they are just erroneous parsing errors that don't exist in my code. I don't check for errors till the very last so if thats all it kicked back then thats a plus. Would like thoughts on the visual though, i have the technical side under control

I am so sorry that I did not catch your ambitious demand ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
(2012-12-16, 04:38:44)Connie Wrote:
(2012-12-16, 00:11:51)bhwebco Wrote: Those validation errors are meaningless, they are just erroneous parsing errors that don't exist in my code. I don't check for errors till the very last so if thats all it kicked back then thats a plus. Would like thoughts on the visual though, i have the technical side under control

I am so sorry that I did not catch your ambitious demand ;=)

lol I didnt mean that to sound how I typed it. w3c always reports errors back that are never in what I have live. I have had it report unlinked images and 404's before that I didnt even have on page. Actually firebug does that to me too, right now trying to find an image its reporting an error on that is no where to be found on the entire server or code. I do think I may have a closing div someplace that I didnt track right though.
Hey there Smile
Great job with the site .... Even though the red is kinda hard on my eyes but that's a matter of taste.

But here is a few pointers u might want to consider...

1. Make logo clickable for main page.
2. In the menu make the "current li" like the hover ..Ppl like buttons...
3. css the "search this site part".
4. Recent Blog Posts - maybe make every li completely "hoverable" ...with color shift.

5. seo'wise ... The code looks nice just put the title first....
And think over your choice of keywords,

6. css a nice footer...

Good job implementing everything Smile
I guess you missed my comment about screen sizes. You still have a serious problem but it's technical so I know you will be able to fix it. Check your site in a screen size simulator or a phone. It is broken at 800 x 600 and unreadable on anything smaller.