Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
News Manager (updated)
(2014-01-08, 17:39:35)D.O. Wrote: Hi Riianna,
for showing recent news from specifig category
I used News Manager Addons by Carlos for a site and it works wonderfully.

e.g.
PHP Code:
<?php nm_list_recent_by_tag('good-news',4); ?>

But I dunn
o if nm_list_recent_by_tag will work again with the new NM version

I will reply later and will let you know.

(2014-01-08, 10:13:54)Riianna Wrote: Add news categories function and snippet to show recent news from specifig category Big Grin

I try that. I´m trying to show 4 latest news in boxes and older news under those in same page (front page). Here is my playground http://getsimppeli.kummallista.net
Perfect. It works and it's even responsive.

(2014-01-09, 00:05:47)Riianna Wrote: I try that. I´m trying to show 4 latest news in boxes and older news under those in same page (front page). Here is my playground http://getsimppeli.kummallista.net
My website made with GetSimple CMS is

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

An indipendent website about Italian Contemporary Visual Arts
in all of the post in news manager im write in bottom text:
(% external_comments %)

ps: how to use
- componentbottompost
- componentafterpost
where i can write it?
to do it auto (external comments) in all of news posts?

how to add a comments free like
http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/pag...ments/427/
or
http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/ext...enting/73/

comment from original
external_comments are require a login add email... or register.
it's posible to add a simple comments whithout registering add email and else..?

and in name of news its posible to add how much is comments on this post like
name posts [ 2 comments].
I'm sorry for my amateur level in programing, and language.
i'm just want use this plugin and i dont know how to use it.
user plugin: scroll to top
(2014-01-12, 02:25:04)xxdex Wrote: in all of the post in news manager im write in bottom text:
(% external_comments %)

No, that doesn't work with News Manager. That shortcode is for normal GS pages.

(2014-01-12, 02:25:04)xxdex Wrote: ps: how to use
- componentbottompost
- componentafterpost
where i can write it?
to do it auto (external comments) in all of news posts?

Those are custom settings you can use in NM 2.5 beta. Example usage for the External Commenting plugin here: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...8#pid41878 (look for "componentafterpost")
If you don't use the beta but the stable version, there's another way to do it (I posted about this some days ago). If you're interested let me know.

(2014-01-12, 02:25:04)xxdex Wrote: how to add a comments free like
http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/pag...ments/427/
or
http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/ext...enting/73/

With the Pages&Comments plugin I think you have to enable comments for the news page in its settings page, and then enable them for each post. If you have any trouble please ask in the P&C support forum: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3068
With External Commenting, see my link above.

(2014-01-12, 02:25:04)xxdex Wrote: and in name of news its posible to add how much is comments on this post like
name posts [ 2 comments].

Sorry but that's not possible right now (unless you patch the plugin in some way). But I have it in mind for some future release.
Example: i have 3 menu
Techno | Lifestyle | Health

I need to update that page, what suppose i do??
(Each post have a pictures)

For now, i use 2 news manager plugin:
-news manager updated (for techno's page),
-GS Blog (for lifestyle's page).

Is there any other way how to make more news manager??
Please really need help. Ty...
(2014-01-12, 16:51:49)n4shru11 Wrote: Is there any other way how to make more news manager??

You're using very unhandy solution, I wouldn't recommend using two different news managers.

I think you might use what D.O. proposed here http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...3#pid41693, simply add a tag to each post which will serve as a category, and for each page, call the function nm_show_tag() with the proper tag name (I have tried it myself yet, but it should definitely work).
Then, you might come in trouble if you wanna use just one template, you can solve it by adding a condition like if(return_page_slug == "techno") { nm_show_tag("techno"); } or something like that. Tell us if you need more details how to achieve that.
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
Hi n4shru11,
I agree with TeeJay, it's not good using two different news managers in the same CMS: they may conflict...
I had your same problem and it was driving me crazy: this led me to discover this trick. So, follow what TeeJay told you: add this short script in your template. I use them in my sites and everything works perfectly.

PHP Code:
<?php 

if (return_page_slug()=='techno'nm_show_tag('techno');
   if (
return_page_slug()=='lifestyle'nm_show_tag('lifestyle');
   if (
return_page_slug()=='health'nm_show_tag('health');

?>

(2014-01-12, 16:51:49)n4shru11 Wrote: Example: i have 3 menu
Techno | Lifestyle | Health

I need to update that page, what suppose i do??
(Each post have a pictures)

For now, i use 2 news manager plugin:
-news manager updated (for techno's page),
-GS Blog (for lifestyle's page).

Is there any other way how to make more news manager??

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

There are some possible issues if using nm_show_tag or other (internal) nm_show_* functions as sidebar/template tags with the beta versions.
I realized this some days ago, and TeeJay has already found one. I'll try to address them for the next beta version.
Hi Carlos,
Thanks for telling me, tho it sounds weird to me because I am using
GetSimple Version 3.2.3 +
News Manager 2.5 beta 10 +
News Manager Addons 0.8.1 beta +
Romance Languages Transliteration
on a IIS WebServer.
Until now, no problem seems to happen with my magazine and it is not a simple personal page. No Reader complained for now :-P
Bro, we have to find a solution together that function is VITAL to me!

(2014-01-19, 19:41:33)Carlos Wrote: There are some possible issues if using nm_show_tag or other (internal) nm_show_* functions as sidebar/template tags with the beta versions.
I realized this some days ago, and TeeJay has already found one. I'll try to address them for the next beta version.

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

Only with the latest beta versions, where I have made a lot of internal changes (and no longer uses some gsconfig settings for images, etc). NM 2.5 beta 10 is not affected.
During doing my site multilingual, I also had one issue inexperienced user might have problems with.

The thing is that you have to show the posts by nm_show_tag() function, but when you want to open them, you have to do it via get_page_content(); this time. That's why I had to do a little conditional snippet. It's for tags 'cz' and 'en', depending on language.

It just uses the get_page_content() everywhere except the main news page. On the main news page, it uses nm_show_tag('cz') or nm_show_tag('en'), depending on the language.
Code:
<?php if (!nm_is_home()) { ?>            
  <?php # CONTENT ?>
  <?php get_page_content(); ?>                          
<?php } ?>

<?php # POSTS ?>        
<?php if (nm_is_home()) { ?>
  <?php nm_set_custom_excerpt(440) ?>
  <?php if ($language == 'cs') { ?>
    <?php nm_show_tag('cz'); ?>
  <?php } else { ?>
    <?php nm_show_tag('en'); ?>
  <?php } ?>
<?php } ?>
Drafts. It would nice to have this, of course. Like other possible new features, I'm leaving this for later (I want to have some other stuff done). I will probably get ideas from GS when the it has this for normal pages. ;-)

For now, this is a workaround: create the post with a date in the future so that it's not shown in the site but you can preview it. When you're done and want to publish it, leave the date and time fields empty so that it's posted at the current time.

Of course this workaround is only valid if you don't display scheduled/future posts (e.g. in the sidebar with NM Addons)
Good, I am glad it's not a "lethal" issue.

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

I just wanted to say thank you for supporting News Manager. I'm currently using the latest beta version. I really like the improvements.

There was a post earlier in this thread talking about the %parents% tag for custom permalinks. I know you said you had no current plans to support it but I just wanted to show interest in it. I would appreciate a patch if you get time for it.

Thanks for everything.
(2014-01-24, 19:51:01)Trak Wrote: I just wanted to say thank you for supporting News Manager. I'm currently using the latest beta version. I really like the improvements.

You're welcome.

(2014-01-24, 19:51:01)Trak Wrote: There was a post earlier in this thread talking about the %parents% tag for custom permalinks. I know you said you had no current plans to support it but I just wanted to show interest in it. I would appreciate a patch if you get time for it.

Thanks for everything.

I may add this but in the future, depending of how GetSimple finally handles the multilevel thing.

For now, instead of patching News Manager to support I18N's %parents% placeholder, I think it may be better to patch GS itself. This way we'll probably fix not only "broken" URLs generated by NM, but also those generated by other plugins (I hope - I've not tested).

Edit admin/inc/basic.php, find this (near the end of function find_url):
Code:
$plink  = str_replace('%parent%/', $parent, $PERMALINK);
replace the whole sentence by:
Code:
$plink  = str_replace('%parent%/', $parent, str_replace('%parents%', '%parent%', $PERMALINK));

Note that this will not make NM or other plugins support multilevel URLs (so better not use a sub-sub-page as news page), but URLs should no longer be broken.

Also note that if you upgrade GS you'll have to re-do this patch.
Is there an easy way how to translate the "Read more" in multilingual sites?

I think could make another string in the lang file and then in the NM code, I would use a condition like if ($language == 'en') { NM_READMORE_EN } else NM_READMORE_CS, but it's not very handy.
Try this... Insert in your gsconfig:
Code:
if(isset($_GET['lang'])) {
  if ($_GET['lang'] == 'en') {
    $nm_i18n['READ_MORE'] = 'Read more';
  } else {
    $nm_i18n['READ_MORE'] = 'Číst dál';
  }
}

(this works since 2.4.0)
(2014-01-26, 02:25:49)Carlos Wrote: Try this... Insert in your gsconfig:
Code:
if(isset($_GET['lang'])) {
  } else {
  }
}

Thank you again, Carlos, works like a charm and also checks if the site is multilingual, right? Smile

I added the same for the rest of the strings that need to be translated - "Published on xx.yy.zzzz" and "<< Go back to the previous page".
Code:
# NM Translations
if (isset($_GET['lang'])) {
  } else {
  }
}

$nm_i18n['PUBLISHED'] = 'Published on';
  } else {
    $nm_i18n['PUBLISHED'] = 'Publikováno';
  }
}

$nm_i18n['GO_BACK'] = '&lt;&lt; Back to the previous page';
  } else {
    $nm_i18n['GO_BACK'] = '&lt;&lt; Zpět na výpis článků';
  }
}
Same but shorter:
Code:
# NM Translations
  } else {
  }
}
(2014-01-26, 08:17:29)Carlos Wrote: Same but shorter:
Code:
# NM Translations
  } else {
  }
}

Definitely, could have come into my mind Smile this is much more effective, thanks for the tip.
I installed NM 2.4.4 and the latest 2.5 beta, but both give 'an error occured' when activating, after that, my site goes blank (nothing is returned any more_.

Any ideas, I'm on the latest GS on Ubuntu 12.04 with Dutch translation.
Try enabling debug mode, should at least throw some errors.
(2014-01-28, 00:37:40)Carlos Wrote: Try enabling debug mode, should at least throw some errors.

Hi Carlos

I did, but when enabling the plugin it shows nothing, after that the pages don't load (so the debug window is gone)

(2014-01-28, 00:49:09)gvs77 Wrote: I did, but when enabling the plugin it shows nothing, after that the pages don't load (so the debug window is gone)

Also found no entries in errorlog or apache errorlogs
(2014-01-28, 00:37:40)Carlos Wrote: Try enabling debug mode, should at least throw some errors.

Do I need to have i18 installed?
(2014-01-28, 00:57:51)gvs77 Wrote: Do I need to have i18 installed?

You mean the I18N plugin? No. No other plugin is required.

It's strange that you don't get any errors in the frontend with debug mode enabled. Just in case, look at the source html code of the blank page you get.

Do you have other plugins installed?
Does GS admin > support > health check show any non-green notices or warnings? (without News Manager installed, I mean)