Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought 3 servers
What should I do with them?

I have two 2x Xeon, 2GB ram, 160GB HD.
And one Operton, 2GB ram, 160GB HD.
I am also being shipped 2 additional HD's.

I'm thinking about coloing these somewhere and allowing people to use them for whatever needs they have, but I was also thinking about taking the servers and adding 4 1.5TB drives in them and creating a nice little backup service to kick off a backup service that I've been wanting to offer for a long time. I have one HECK of a domain that I've held on to for years.

Anyway, what do you think I should do with them?
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
internet54 Wrote:Anyway, what do you think I should do with them?
hi,
as you love GS, i think it will be great to :
- host the future sites (or subsites) of the community as a site for documentation (including videos for showing how to), another for themes and another one for plugins (i am ready to build and manage with you and the community those sites).
- offer a backup service for GS users (as VIP members for the 3 above sites, wich mean after paying a very tiny fee)
- giving me a free (forever Big Grin ) 20GB backup space (i hope secure !)

maybe this could give you some ideas Smile .

bye.
Sharing is human real nature...
A GetSimple data centre? Now that feels like a bit of an overkill… (Nice, nevertheless.)

Of course you could just ship one of them to me, it will be quite the upgrade from my current PC :p

As for some more serious ideas, a personal back-up system is always great to have. I recently installed a 2TB backup server here on the home network and it makes you feel a lot better knowing you have stuff archived for later use without cluttering your own machine.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Just asking:

The colo you were thinking, are there people out there to take care of the machines? Or you're the one to manage?

Either way if you plan to make them public I think there should be support available 24/7. Just a thought.