Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugins that Should be Core
Ok, so i am going to just throw out a general question and see what people think.

Are there any plugins that are so good and almost "essential" to GetSimple that we should consider adding them to the core instead?

Remember, we don't want to bloat the software - and we already removed things such as the Contact Form because it "should" be a plugin instead.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this... Thanks!
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Zegñats navigation plugin!

ccagle8 Wrote:Ok, so i am going to just throw out a general question and see what people think.

Are there any plugins that are so good and almost "essential" to GetSimple that we should consider adding them to the core instead?

Remember, we don't want to bloat the software - and we already removed things such as the Contact Form because it "should" be a plugin instead.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this... Thanks!
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
BIASED Smile

I would love to see my "admin tab loader" plugin as core functionality. That way I don't have to bundle it with some of the plugins I've created.
- Julian

My GetSimple Plugins: Simple Image Gallery | TweetMeme reTweet Button
I agree juiliancc!
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
The admin tab loader for sure!
Hi there

If I can maybe ask if you can look at adding this enhanchement for the page edit dialog boxes

http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/1048/...th-images/

Just will save me the time to update the edit.php file with new versions etc and I believe it is a small change and does not really take alot of resources etc..

But is more open to the community.. dont like suggesting my own stuff but it will really help.

thanks
Stopped developing on GS Plugins. Anybody welcome to take the projects over. Thanks for all the support all.
I'd go with ckfinder, and as somebody mentioned about using jquery to sort pages in page management in a drag&drop way.

Customfields and simplegallery plugs are interesting as well, although c.fields need to be updated firstly.

I was thinking about hacking components, and add to them ckedits, so customfields wouldn't be needed that much. But then couple additional plugins would have to be used to raise usability of component boxes.
That would complicate it too much.

But I like the idea of providing 2 GS version: basic - for geeks, and an archive containing most popular plugins, such as gallery, news, blog etc. Maybe even with additional skins.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
- Julian's Admin Tab Loader
- Zegnåt's Creation Date
I know this is an old post but I wanted to add to it anyway. As a web designer one of the most common requests I get are for form creation. I never quite understood why the contact form would be removed when enhancing it would have been a benefit to the CMS.

A popular script with some of my clients are ones that allow them to create web forms such as quote requests, contact etc. I am no programmer by any stretch of the imagination, I am simply a designer but having the ability to generate forms built in to the core would make Get simple one of my top CMS's to work with.

Even if the enhancement was to just take the p01 contact form and make it internally customizable. The ability to contact a webmaster is critical to any web site. Just a thought.
Because forms are a pain in the ass.
And highly personalized
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2012-12-06, 18:02:19)bhwebco Wrote: I know this is an old post but I wanted to add to it anyway. As a web designer one of the most common requests I get are for form creation. I never quite understood why the contact form would be removed when enhancing it would have been a benefit to the CMS.

A popular script with some of my clients are ones that allow them to create web forms such as quote requests, contact etc. I am no programmer by any stretch of the imagination, I am simply a designer but having the ability to generate forms built in to the core would make Get simple one of my top CMS's to work with.

Even if the enhancement was to just take the p01 contact form and make it internally customizable. The ability to contact a webmaster is critical to any web site. Just a thought.

The contact form was never removed, also never added. There are multiple contact form plugins available. I don't see what is the major improvement of adding this to the core, if a plugin allready exist, I agree this should be a "core-plugin"
There is a discussion in this thread:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3693
I think it's better to ad your opinion there.

The functionality you ask can allready be done with p01 contact (not tested), info is here (click in menu at Syntax -> Advanced):

http://nliautaud.fr/wiki/travaux/p01-contact
(2012-12-06, 23:30:50)datiswous Wrote: The contact form was never removed,

(Just FYI) GetSimple had a built-in contact form until 2.01. It was removed in 2.03.

(2012-12-06, 18:02:19)bhwebco Wrote: I never quite understood why the contact form would be removed when enhancing it would have been a benefit to the CMS.
[...]
having the ability to generate forms built in to the core would make Get simple one of my top CMS's to work with.

Each thinks that a certain feature should be in the core. Some think a blogging system, others the contact form, a gallery, etc.

(Another more recent thread about this: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3693 )

(2012-12-06, 18:02:19)bhwebco Wrote: Even if the enhancement was to just take the p01 contact form and make it internally customizable. The ability to contact a webmaster is critical to any web site. Just a thought.

I don't use contact forms so I don't know what decent plugins are available right now. p01-contact seems to be popular though it isn't being updated. If it's so good maybe someone could ask the original author if he doesn't mind, and release an updated version (to start, with several fixes/patches that have been posted in the support forum) and continue developing it.
Contact forms are also massive security holes, so it really needs to be up to the user to configure and setup.
Or just use many of the services out there that do it for you.
(2012-12-07, 05:52:19)shawn_a Wrote: Contact forms are also massive security holes, so it really needs to be up to the user to configure and setup.
Or just use many of the services out there that do it for you.

I think the user can just use a plugin, as long as a simple, nice, and secure one is available from Extend. If there is why are we worrying about it?
(2012-12-07, 06:38:25)shovenose Wrote: ... as long as a simple, nice, and secure one is available from Extend. If there is why are we worrying about it?

Because, imo, there is no contact form plugin in Extend that satisfies all three of your criteria. p01-contact appears to, but it's a nightmare to modify (e.g., the message html (yuk), the e-mail address regex) and a far from robust solution. It's popularity doesn't make it good.

shawn_a Wrote:Contact forms are also massive security holes ...

Agreed. But surely that's a good reason to have a reliable one in Extend?
--
Nick.
For not more than a single simple contact form the Contactable plugin would be ok (?):

http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/get...table/290/

It doesn't seem to have any spam defense in it though.
So we need a contact form plugin that:
-is easy to install and use
-has spam protection
-is (at least somewhat) secure
-looks nice
-customizable
(2012-12-14, 05:44:21)shovenose Wrote: So we need a contact form plugin that:
-is easy to install and use
-has spam protection
-is (at least somewhat) secure
-looks nice
-customizable

...and if it's not too much to ask for:

coupled functionality with the n00dles-DM_Matrix plugin so form info can be saved/logged.

n00dles-DM_Matrix plugin isn't officially available in Extend but seems working and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/n00dles/DM_Matrix
A form builder would be nice.
hi shawn,

i'm doing some work on "Item Manager" by mikeh... i think that -- once the security concerns are solved -- it should be possible to let it evolve in some sort of form builder...