Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
convertion of chars in friendly URL's
Hello
When a user adds a new page, and doesn't enter its name in file/url input field, file name is generated automatically from page's title.
The problem is with special chars. If title or url name contains special chars, they are cut off, making the filename odd.

What I'd like to ask is to add an array of special chars in a config file, where users could define which special char should be converted to an ASCII one.
For example in gsconfig.php
/* convert special chars in URL to ascii */

ü => u
ó => o
é =>e
ź => z
ß => ss
č => c

It could be as well added to GS installation process.

Then page titles containing national special chars wouldn't look odd, and could be still readable. I think that SEO could even benefit from such solution.

ps. this solution would be dedicated mostly to non technical users, who use special chars in filenames or in urls.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
I believe this is already in place for certain characters. (I believe ü, ó, é and ß to be covered at least.)

A discussion about this is going on in a different topic and a plugin to let people specify specific arrays is published.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!