Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File upload problem (IO error)
I'm running WAMP2 on Windows XP, SP3. PHP v5.3.0, Apache v2.2.11. In File Management, when I click on "Add files and/or images", I get the usual browse window where I select the file and click OK. Then, back in GS, I get an IO error e.g.: html_css shortcuts.pdf (18.49KB) - IO Error. Can't get around it.

Another thing, someone mentioned that their upload cap was 10megs. Why does this version (2.03) only have 2meg upload limit?
The 2MB limit that you see there is a limitation of your server, not GS. Can you goto Support->Website Health Check, and see if all your folders are writable?
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
All folders are writable. Funny thing is it only happens on the laptop, not on the PC. Oh, duh. I'll check the laptop now ;(

Nope, everything is fine there. I take it this is what we're looking for: ../data/uploads/ 0777 Writable - OK

Then there's this: ".htaccess Existance" which gives: ../data/uploads/ Good 'Allow' file - OK.

Strange, as the files on the PC are direct copies of the ones on the laptop. Could it be some internal error?

Another thing. I can upload files on the PC, but cannot see them once I've refreshed the page. Where do I look for them?
If you cant see them, then i doubt they are being uploaded successfully. Can you check on the server inside the /data/uploads/ folder?
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
There is a .htaccess file there. Contents:
Options -Indexes
Allow from all

<Files *.xls>
ForceType applicaton/octet-stream
</Files>

<Files *.csv>
ForceType applicaton/octet-stream
</Files>

Okay, lets go back a bit first. Where can I expect to find the files once I've uploaded them? There doesn't seem to be a way of selecting where they go on the page exactly. There is also not a save/update button like there is on the other pages. Is that right?

I've mentioned that the files on the PC are copies of those on the laptop. The PC uploads the files to the /data/uploads/ folder but then doesn't display them once I go back to "Pages" or refresh. The laptop is another story. It gives me that IO error, and yet accepts the files when I 'force' (i.e. copy/paste) them into the uploads folder. Yet once I refresh there is still no evidence of them.

When I click on a file (in the Files page) on the laptop it gives me the download window (Open with/Save). When I do the same on the PC it opens a .txt file as raw HTML in a clean page, and an image in something called the Image Control Panel (which, I'm afraid to say doesn't give me much control over the image). It won't let me edit the HTML, either. And there is again no way to save anything.

There, that should keep you busy while I go make a cup of tea.
Any files you upload should be put in /data/uploads/. If they’re not there, they have not been uploaded.

Galen777 Wrote:There is a .htaccess file there.
The .htaccess file is there for security reasons, keep it.

The I/O error I don’t know anything about, but might be related to Uploadify. Please make sure you can upload at all. Open your gsconfig.php file and look on line 34 for this:
Code:
#define('GSNOUPLOADIFY', 1);
Uncomment it, (take away the #-sign). Now you’ve disabled Uploadify, please return to your Files tab and try uploading something.

Galen777 Wrote:Where can I expect to find the files once I’ve uploaded them? There doesn’t seem to be a way of selecting where they go on the page exactly.
All files in the /data/uploads/ folder will be displayed on your Files page in the admin section. This page should automatically refresh after you successfully upload a file. No searching or knowledge required. Remember, this is supposed to be simple.

Galen777 Wrote:I go make a cup of tea.
I hear ya. *Stumbles off towards kitchen*
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Damn, you're good! Both machines are showing the Browse/Upload bits now. Thanks.

Now, what I mean about viewing the files is this; if I were a visitor to the site and wanted to View/Download a PDF for instance, where would I look considering that I don't have access to the admin side of things?
Galen777 Wrote:if I were a visitor to the site and wanted to View/Download a PDF for instance, where would I look considering that I don't have access to the admin side of things?
You will need to find the link to the PDF to access it. This is done so you as the website admin have full control over what files you want to share.

If you want to open up your uploads you can remove the “Options -Indexes” from .htaccess. That will open up /date/uploads/ for visitors. If they point their browser at that folder, that is. Or you could write a plugin that generates a list of all the files in /data/uploads/.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!