Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple question - Editing Topbar Menu
First - A disclaimer.  I'm not a web-designer.  I can't code.  I have a general understanding of HTML, and enough knowledge to look up and implement answers when I'm stuck - most of the time.  I'm between jobs right now, so I'm helping my wife's friend update her non-profit website.

I discovered https://html-online.com, which allows me to easily write content with a more controls than the Get Simple interface.  However, I've been asked to make one update that has me flummoxed.

I hope I'm not violating any rules by doing this, but this is the website I'm working with.  I've been asked to add an item to the red navigation bar at the top, and I've no idea where the content is coming from.  Yes, I can see it plain-as-day when I "View Source," but when I go through all of the "components" in the GetSimple interface, I can't find the navigation bar content.

So if it's not under "Pages" or "Files," where should I be looking?  I greatly appreciate any help.  Like I said - I have no real training in HTML - I'm pretty much reliant on the Get Simple interface.

Thanks.
(2018-07-17, 00:04:43)Djinn252 Wrote: I've been asked to add an item to the red navigation bar at the top, and I've no idea where the content is coming from.

GetSimple is a content management system, so you can expect the navigation to be handled automatically. This page in the GS wiki should help to get you started, but there may be other features that have an effect, too, depending on which (if any) plug-ins are also installed for the site. Under normal circumstances, you make a new page, give it a title and some content, tick the box to add it to the menu (an easy step to miss) and then save it. (If you follow up on this, it would be useful to mention the plug-ins that are installed.)

There really should be no need to go to a third-party editor to provide or edit the content – I don't see anything particularly complex on the present pages. What have you had trouble with when using the built-in WYSIWYG editor?

By the way, it would be polite to include a link back to GetSimple, if not in the page footer, then somewhere on the 'About Us' page, perhaps. (I realise that it wasn't your decision to not do this, however, or not your decision to make.)
--
Nick.
(2018-07-17, 01:47:58)hameau Wrote:
(2018-07-17, 00:04:43)Djinn252 Wrote: I've been asked to add an item to the red navigation bar at the top, and I've no idea where the content is coming from.

GetSimple is a content management system, so you can expect the navigation to be handled automatically. This page in the GS wiki should help to get you started, but there may be other features that have an effect, too, depending on which (if any) plug-ins are also installed for the site. Under normal circumstances, you make a new page, give it a title and some content, tick the box to add it to the menu (an easy step to miss) and then save it. (If you follow up on this, it would be useful to mention the plug-ins that are installed.)

There really should be no need to go to a third-party editor to provide or edit the content – I don't see anything particularly complex on the present pages. What have you had trouble with when using the built-in WYSIWYG editor?

By the way, it would be polite to include a link back to GetSimple, if not in the page footer, then somewhere on the 'About Us' page, perhaps. (I realise that it wasn't your decision to not do this, however, or not your decision to make.)

Many thanks... I see the option now.  I suppose I was "over-thinking it."  As far as the editor is concerned, the one I described in my original post simply has more controls.  To be more specific, it allowed better table-management.  Using the other link, I could paste in a table from Excel, use their interface to adjust borders, spacing, etc.  And when finished, I could just copy and paste the code into GetSimple.

Here's a comparison of GetSimple:
[Image: FW8KUlv.png]

Versus Online HTML Editor:
[Image: OsEZf90.png]

Offhand, there's the indentation tools, tables, heading controls ... and it's kinda nice having the source side-by-side with the WYSIWIG display.  Of course, I'm speaking from the perspective of an amateur. Smile

I'll see about adding a "Get Simple" link to the About Us page, thanks for that too.
This is all just ckeditor, you can add whatever you want, first start off by changing from basic to advanced toolbar
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
There's an "advanced toolbar?" I'm very interested; how do I enable it? I've clicked the "Settings" button in the upper-right, and saw nothing to suggest a more robust toolbar.

Also - hameau - I successfully modified the menu, thanks again!
Gsconfig
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2018-07-17, 09:29:43)Djinn252 Wrote: There's an "advanced toolbar?"   I'm very interested; how do I enable it?

The wiki is your friend. You can customise the editor menu beyond the 'Standard' and 'Advanced' presets if you want to.

You can add table resizing, for example, but you have to manually add the plugin (from ckeditor) to your GetSimple installation, which may be more that you want to get involved with.

Edit to add: for simple tables, it's quite straightforward – and more accurate than click-and-drag – to resize manually in the source view.
--
Nick.