Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
News Manager
Hi,

how can I use "news manager" plugin with the index page, but have a different template for the single news?

I've a "slideshare" into the index page, and I don't know have it into every single news too.

Thank you very much,
AL
alfonso Wrote:Hi,

how can I use "news manager" plugin with the index page, but have a different template for the single news?

I've a "slideshare" into the index page, and I don't know have it into every single news too.

Thank you very much,
AL

Using a thing similar to "if (empty($_POST) and empty($_GET)){".... in the main template... is not very nice! Smile
This News Manager has made the news posting for me easier, and thank you for that, but I have encountered some imperfections as well.. So these are the things that are bothering me:
  • How to change the page title so that every time someone looks at the news (not the news.php page, but exact page for certain news like - "news.php?post=important-news") the title of the news would be the title of the page aswell? otherwise i can't get the twitter button to work correctly.
  • And the other things is how the posts look at the news.php, and how can i change their look in news.php?post=important-news without using excerpt?

Help would be really appreciated.
Thank you.
Janky Wrote:How to change the page title so that every time someone looks at the news (not the news.php page, but exact page for certain news like - "news.php?post=important-news") the title of the news would be the title of the page aswell?

http://get-simple.info/forum/post/15133/#p15133
Carlos Wrote:
Janky Wrote:How to change the page title so that every time someone looks at the news (not the news.php page, but exact page for certain news like - "news.php?post=important-news") the title of the news would be the title of the page aswell?

http://get-simple.info/forum/post/15133/#p15133

i tried it, but all it does - it gives me an error, and the page doesn't load. all i needed was the news title to show in twitter share button, and i managed to do it, editing the inc/site.php using the $title variable in the button, but still cant get it to work in the page title.
Janky,
I should have tested again this old patch, made time ago for an older NM version, sorry.

EDIT: Tested with News Manager 2.2.4, and it works.
Carlos Wrote:Janky,
I should have tested again this old patch, made time ago for an older NM version, sorry.

thank you anyway, i went through all the topic, but somehow missed your post.
you are obviously better at php than me, so maybe you can give me some tips on how to work on the other problem that i have?

i have index.php, where the news are located, but there is a image slider too, which i don't want to include in index.php?post=news-title.. Sad
Janky Wrote:i have index.php, where the news are located, but there is a image slider too, which i don't want to include in index.php?post=news-title.. Sad

Code:
<?php if( return_page_slug()=='newspage' and !isset($_GET['post']) ){ ?>
    ... slider or whatever...
<?php } ?>

Replace newspage with the slug of your news page. If it's the homepage (your case), it will be index.
Janky,

I've installed the latest NM plugin in a local GS 3.0 test site, tried my old patch, and seems to work fine.

What error did you get?
Hi, I made a clone news module manager in the article manager. I needed two such plugins to 2 different categories. News manager does not have to create categories of news so I put my solution, it may be useful to someone. The module works the same as news manager, the only change is the sidebar tags:

Code:
nm_list_recent = am_list_recent
nm_list_archives = am_list_archives
nm_list_tags = am_list_tags
nm_search = am_search

and css:

Code:
.nm_post = .am_post
.nm_post h3 = .am_post h3
.nm_post p = .am_post p
.nm_post_title a = .am_post_title a
.nm_post_title a: hover = .am_post_title a: hover
. nm_post_date = . am_post_date
. nm_post_content = . am_post_content
. nm_post_meta = . am_post_meta {
. nm_post_back = . am_post_back
. nm_post_back a = . am_post_back a
. nm_post_back a: hover = . am_post_back a: hover
. nm_page_nav. left = . am_page_nav. left
. nm_page_nav. right = . am_page_nav. right
aside. section and, aside. section and = aside. section and, aside. section and
aside. section a: hover, aside. section a: hover = aside. section a: hover, aside. section a: hover
aside. a.large section = aside. a.large section
Hi there,

A website I am currently working on needs to be multi-lingual, which obviously can be solved very nicely using the I18N plugin, however for this project a news page is also needed.

My first thought was 'news manager', since I've used this plugin before and it works very nicely. However I am at a loss to think of a way to screw this into a multi-language site, since it doesn't support multiple languages to my knowledge.

Without any code changes using the I18N plugin and the news manager plugin would result in a news page that is in just one language for the entire site, no matter which language is selected. Correct?

UPDATE: did some testing, but that doesn't seem to work either, since news manager needs to be pointed to a specific page to be displayed on, whereas the I18N plugin will create a page with a different name (the _ + language code) for the additional language, so the news will not display on the different language version of that page (or I made a mistake, that's possible too of course).

However, it is much preferred to have a news page for each language used (let's say one in English and one in Dutch).

As this plugin doesn't support that the only way I can think of is having multiple instances of the news manager installed, each for a different language.

Reading through this thread I get the impression that this indeed is a possibility (though I am not totally sure yet how), however an important point would be how to make sure the various languages get served the correct news page. Perphaps with some sort of category solution.

@vixrealitum, reading your post it would seem you did something similar to what is described above. Though I am not sure what you did exactly, can you elaborate what you did?

All in all I think if we can think of a sort of solution of doing multilangual news it would come in handy for quite a few people.
Draxeiro Wrote:Hi there,

A website I am currently working on needs to be multi-lingual, which obviously can be solved very nicely using the I18N plugin, however for this project a news page is also needed.
I'm facing the same problem as you do, with creating a simple page with news in 2 languages.
I was thinking about using other CMS, but as development wouldn't be that much time consumer, then everything else would take much more time than finding a solution for GS.

As for now the only out of box solution is Mvlcek's i18n + search plugins.
It would be fantastic if search plugin would have an additional tab for news management (along with a dedicated dir to store pages), but I can live with lack of this functionality.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Hello,

is it possible to include galleries in posts by using I18N Gallery plugin? I've tried creating a post with {% gallery name %} (the same way as I do in regular pages) but it doesn't turn on the gallery.

Also, making this plugin fully compatible with I18N would be a blast!
yojoe Wrote:I'm facing the same problem as you do, with creating a simple page with news in 2 languages.
I was thinking about using other CMS, but as development wouldn't be that much time consumer, then everything else would take much more time than finding a solution for GS.

It would be fantastic if search plugin would have an additional tab for news management (along with a dedicated dir to store pages), but I can live with lack of this functionality.

The i18n search plugin did cross my mind too, as that does seem to offer the option right off the bat. Only problem there is that it isn't as inituitive as the news manager plugin and as such might confuse the end-user.

If it could be extended to include more news management-esque functionality it would really be ideal. News manager is great but lacking functionality like this, plus Roog is mighty silent the last few months...

@mvlcek: I'd be willing (and I am sure some of the other guys too) to provide you with some donations to encourage you to further extend your plugin along these lines. Would you be interested in developing it in this direction?
Hi,
I've translated News manager to czech. You may find it useful.
SG Wrote:Hi, anyone knows how to make the excerpt doesn't cut by letter ?
Code:
apple pie i...

I need it to cut by word, so it's still readable
Code:
apple pie is...

You can try to replace nm_create_excerpt function in the functions.php file by this code:

Code:
function nm_create_excerpt($content, $slug){
    global $NMEXCERPTLENGTH;
    $len = intval($NMEXCERPTLENGTH);
    $content = strip_tags($content);
    $url     = nm_get_url('post') . $slug;

if (strlen($content) > $len){
        while ($content[$len] != " " && ++$len < strlen($content)){
            $excerpt = substr($content,0,$len).'... <a href="'.$url.'">read more</a>';
        }
    }
    else
        $excerpt = $content.' <a href="'.$url.'">read more</a>';

return "<p>$excerpt</p>";
}

and also change line 99 in nm_show_post function in the site.php file to:
Code:
if ($excerpt) $content = nm_create_excerpt($content, $slug);
(it's optional, only to be able do display correctly "read more" link)
I really like this plugin but it's causing me problems. The fancy urls don't work - instead of parent/post the output is parentpost. After many hours of research and testing, I still can't fix that problem so left it alone meantime.

However, I now have a related problem, in that the html doesn't validate with &post in the url. Once again I've spent a long time trying to figure out a way to get &amp; in there instead but my php knowledge is very limited and I'm going round in circles.

Both of these questions have been asked a few times in the forum, and there's still no obvious answer. Can anyone please help me solve this? If I'm guessing correctly, fixing the fancy url problem will fix the validation? If not I'd settle for help with the second bit.

Using GS3.0, News Manager 2.2.4, tested in Wamp and on a live site. Same problems in GS3.1b too.

Thanks
Kate
i am also very happy with news manager. it is very easy to use and configure.

one thing i miss however, is the possibility to control the order of publishing: i use the manager as announcement board for upcoming events, therefore it is important to have them ordered by the date they take place - at the moment, the news are ordered by the publishing date i set.
another thing i miss is the possibility to set the date on which each of the news should be moved from the "recent" page to the "archives" page. right now, i cannot edit this setting (as far as i can see).

can i configure the plugin to meet my wishes, or is there a plugin that has these features pre-set?

thanks
pigsound
If you are interested i have released a new version of my plugin "ARGuestbook" with News Manager 2.2.4 support and Word Filter
My Site: The Harad's Forge
Do you want a guestbook on pages or on news manager articles?Download my GS plugin: ARGuestbook
Alessio_roma Wrote:If you are interested i have released a new version of my plugin "ARGuestbook" with News Manager 2.2.4 support and Word Filter

thank you alessio,

but arguestbook doesn't seem to offer the features i am looking for in news manager. i don't need the possibility to comment news with postings, but i am looking for a possibility to determine when news are going online and offline, no matter when i entered them in the backend.
pigsound Wrote:
Alessio_roma Wrote:If you are interested i have released a new version of my plugin "ARGuestbook" with News Manager 2.2.4 support and Word Filter

thank you alessio,

but arguestbook doesn't seem to offer the features i am looking for in news manager. i don't need the possibility to comment news with postings, but i am looking for a possibility to determine when news are going online and offline, no matter when i entered them in the backend.
my message was sent to everybody,not to you Smile
My Site: The Harad's Forge
Do you want a guestbook on pages or on news manager articles?Download my GS plugin: ARGuestbook
Quote:However, I now have a related problem, in that the html doesn't validate with &post in the url. Once again I've spent a long time trying to figure out a way to get &amp; in there instead but my php knowledge is very limited and I'm going round in circles.

If it helps anyone for future reference, I managed to solve the validation problem by adding this line to the nm_get_url function:
Code:
$url = str_replace('&', '&amp;', $url);
return $url;

Still can't solve the fancy urls for news manager, but at least my site validates.

Kate
Hi,

i take some trouble to use this plugin.

Do you know where i can fine a documentation because the author seams out.
Hi,

my problem is simple a configuration probelm :

don't activate this in gsconfig.php

Code:
# Enable Canonical Redirects?
#define('GSCANONICAL', 1);
Draxeiro Wrote:
yojoe Wrote:I'm facing the same problem as you do, with creating a simple page with news in 2 languages.

The i18n search plugin did cross my mind too, as that does seem to offer the option right off the bat. Only problem there is that it isn't as inituitive as the news manager plugin and as such might confuse the end-user.

If it could be extended to include more news management-esque functionality it would really be ideal. News manager is great but lacking functionality like this, plus Roog is mighty silent the last few months...

@mvlcek: I'd be willing (and I am sure some of the other guys too) to provide you with some donations to encourage you to further extend your plugin along these lines. Would you be interested in developing it in this direction?

@Draxeiro, @yojoe: I've finally finished the I18N Special Pages plugin, which simplifies multi-language news management with the I18N Search plugin.
(further discussion and feature requests here)
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.