Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GS "Approved" Scripts & Components
Chris - I propose you can approve 3rd party Scripts and Components that should not break upon GS updates... then add these approved scripts/components to the GS Site instead of having to poke around here in the forums posts... This would also allow the author a simple way to keep their own links/code updated.

Anyone else?
A strong 'second' here.
I agree, but I would like to see a graphical representation (model/flowchart/diagram) of how GS core will always encapsulate function sets. ie. Content Editing, Content Editing Interface, User Management, etc. We can all make assumptions as to how the application seems to operate - but a direct output by the developer, explaining the separation of process patterns could standardize the logic we use to integrate these "Approved" Scripts & Components.

-Ryan Gensel

twitter.com/readysetproject
@Ryan - I would like to see that too - i just dont have the time. It's maybe not the optimal situation for everyone, but right now - I am just focused on getting the bugs out, and most it not all feature requests are going to have to wait.

Ryan, i wouldn't even have a clue as to where to start with some of the diagrams/etc. you ask for. I know they are necessary, but having never done most of that, I would be lost before I even began.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
I sneeze rainbows and strategy. Abstracting and decomposing concepts into information hierarchies is my forte. I don't program full time anymore, but since I managed/mentored a development team for the past five years (as CCO), I have a good handle on the process. I'd like to help, and I understand if strategy/documentation collateral is not your specialty. Would you like me to put together a template to organize Get-Simple's business case, organization, and evolution so that we can work to incrementally improve the thoughts together? I'm extremely up to date in concerns relating to: Web Development Process, Information Quality as Method, Browser Evolution, Message Optimization, and Market Strategy.

I'm always revising my consulting firm's (Ready Set Project) processes, knowledge management, and outlook, so any secondary research will no doubt improve the content quality of my primary RSP work. Open-source should allow all developers to practice their skills on projects they ENJOY, and GS represents a simplification (and re-prioritization) of content management - I enjoy that.

Let me know,
-Ryan Gensel

www.readysetproject.com
Thank you so much for the offer Ryan! I don't even know where to ask you to start at... haha. What are the first steps we need to lay out here?
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Get a sheet of paper, or open your favorite spreadsheet tool.

Create this table:
Columns (What we Say, What we Think, What we Do)
Rows (Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitor, Close)

Now, duplicate this table onto another sheet. Label one - Product, the other - People (or Organization).

Now, let's fill in a couple cells.

In the People table, column "What we Think" and row "Initiation", we'll add:

-Choosing a Content Management System should be easier.
-Installing a CMS should be easy.
-Integrating custom functionality into a CMS should be straightforward and non-breaking.

In the People table, column "What we Think" and row "Planning", we'll add:

-The need to collaborate is obvious, what parties and at what times require/demand/expect input and outputs? (Even if it's the same person, the concerns of Owner, Operator, Builder are different.)

In the People table, column "What we Think" and row "Execution", we'll add:

-Site development should be progressive, having to start "afresh" should be a decision the developer makes, not a consequence of additional insight, features, or function. Create data infrastructures that are as defined as the concepts explained.

In the People table, column "What we Think" and row "Monitor", we'll add:

-CMS should facilitate content improvement (by quality or conversion).

In the People table, column "What we Think" and row "Close", we'll add:

-CMS should be simple enough to transfer development responsibilities.

So this is just one column, filled with assumptions, but using what we know as a foundation, we can elaborate and improve on a granular level.

If you've created this spreadsheet, fill out a couple other cells with relevant context. Use cell background colors to notate fundamental concepts, concepts to improve, etc.

This is just an informal outline and the language used should communicate topic not elaborate. Let's refine what you want, before you decide how to get it.

Fill in what you can and send it to me / post it.

I've tweeted you my email address.

-Ryan Gensel

www.readysetproject.com