Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Site backup weirdness (dir structure)
When unzipping my site_archive.zip (macOS Mojave archive utility) yield the following weirdness ?
Code:
.htaccess (* GetSimple CMS access ROOT file)
pathFromServerRoot/
  to/
    my/
      sharedHostSpace/
        myGSRootSubFolder/
          .htaccess (yes, the same one as *)
          gsconfig.php (**)
          index.php
          LICENSE.txt
          readme.txt
          robots.txt
          sitemap.xml (a nuisance if you have pages other shouldn't know about)
data/
gsconfig.php (yes, the same as **)
plugins/
theme/
Looks like this should be
Code:
[
pathFromServerRoot/
  to/
    my/
      sharedHostSpace/
]
        myGSRootSubFolder/
          .htaccess
          gsconfig.php
          index.php
          LICENSE.txt
          readme.txt
          robots.txt
          sitemap.xml (a nuisance if you have pages other shouldn't know about)
          data/
          plugins/
          theme/
I first suspected that my macOS Archive Utility.app was restoring the file hierarchy in the wrong way?
(meaning that data/, plugins/, theme/, should be at the same level as gsconfig.php, index.php, etc.)
I tried expanding with third party apps (The Unarchiver.app, Stuffit Expander.app), but got the same result.
I also see 2 copies of .htaccess(*) and gsconfig.php(**).
Isn't this a bug? Or did I miss something?

Besides, why should the zip file convey information on where everything was located on the server anyway?
Doesn't everything down from the GS root suffice? (see square brackets).

Of course, with some care, this kind of backup is very usable.
But, when migrating a site, what one would ultimately want to do, is install a shiny new version of GS, and copy the contents of the GS data/, plugins/, theme/ over it (it is probably best to apply any user changes to config.php manually, in order not to disturb any new stuff that might be in e.g., GS 3.4.x). Correct me if I am mistaken.
could be symblink ?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2019-02-10, 00:59:02)shawn_a Wrote: could be symblink ?
Yeah, that is certainly an idea that comes to mind, but still, why are these things in 2 hierarchies, and most of all, why do 2 files appear twice (once in each hierarchy). All the files and folders are mine (i.e., from a working GS site) (unless GS itself uses symlinks), except the folder sequence outside the GS structure.
I looked at GS's site backup contents when running on a different shared hosting service (with a different control panel, but with the user space also inside a dir called "customers/d/f/a/myHostingAccountName/httpd.www"), to see if the site backup zip file looks similar.
Thanks for your comment.