Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using GetSimple as a Wiki, Blog and general site?
Hi,

Not really a development related question, but I'm thinking of making a deep change in the way my personal site works. Currently I have a wiki using PmWiki, a blog using Wordpress, a site with some personal info coded without any CMS and an image gallery using Picasa. I would like to change all these different systems and use GetSimple to manage most, it not all, these systems.

So, my requirements are:
- Ability to create/edit pages easily
- Ability to have downloads on some pages (software I develop, mostly)
- Contact form
- Blog
- Image Gallery
- Portfolio with images and description

What are you thoughts on using GetSimple to accomplish this? I would like to keep code changes to a minimum, and the blog part is what's worrying me most. Any thoughts on how difficult or any pitfalls in what I want to do?
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
1. sure thing
2. you can achieve it by several methods
- easiest method is to upload files from within admin panel and paste links to them on a page
- fetch certain directory content and show it automatically on dedicated page; you'd have to upload files manually via ftp, or install manually ckfinder (you can find a howto on GS forums)
- post a direct link to ftp
- develop own script/function/plugin
3. sure thing -> p01's contact form plugin
4. sure thing -> news/blog like plugin
5. sure thing -> p01's simple gallery plugin
6. look pt 5.

Just install a testing instance of GS, search for and install needed plugins and look by yourself if GS is capable to fulfil your needs.

But there's no way you can easily embed wiki system on any existing CMS (maybe some jomla-shmomla or wp has a plugin), but you can always try to load whole wiki into an iframe. But it's not an elegant solution.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:- fetch certain directory content and show it automatically on dedicated page; you'd have to upload files manually via ftp, or install manually ckfinder (you can find a howto on GS forums)
I'm inclined to go this way, though I'll probably use one other file manager for ckeditor instead of ckfinder.

yojoe Wrote:3. sure thing -> p01's contact form plugin
4. sure thing -> news/blog like plugin
5. sure thing -> p01's simple gallery plugin
Don't really like any of those Sad. The contact plugin feels awkward to use and is not easy to modify.

Though I tested it some time ago and it may have change a lot, at least I've seen some development in the corresponding topic.

yojoe Wrote:Just install a testing instance of GS, search for and install needed plugins and look by yourself if GS is capable to fulfil your needs.
Already doing that, but it's always a good thing to hear from those who have more experience Wink

yojoe Wrote:But there's no way you can easily embed wiki system on any existing CMS (maybe some jomla-shmomla or wp has a plugin), but you can always try to load whole wiki into an iframe. But it's not an elegant solution.
I'll probably remove the wiki system. I first used the wiki because there was no easy way to add pages and change content, I had only the personal site with static info, but if I change to a CMS creating pages or correcting existing content easier.
Knitter Wrote:I'm inclined to go this way, though I'll probably use one other file manager for ckeditor instead of ckfinder.

You can always use 3rd party uploaders. But it is a bad idea to have decentralized content administration.

Knitter Wrote:Don't really like any of those Sad. The contact plugin feels awkward to use and is not easy to modify.
Though I tested it some time ago and it may have change a lot, at least I've seen some development in the corresponding topic.

Depends on version you used. 8x is fantastic, but I haven't touched 9.x since it's html form code differs significantly, and I hadn't time to stylize it from beginning.

But you can believe me, it's one of (if not the) best contact plugins I've ever used in world of CMS in its simplicity, and amount of configurations possibilities.
It's way simpler than implementing stand alone contact form.

If you have any suggestions about usability, you can always post them in proper thread.
I've posted a website where I created couple contact forms with this p01's contact plugin, and they're working like a charm.

Knitter Wrote:Already doing that, but it's always a good thing to hear from those who have more experience Wink
I didn't had the need to use news/blog plugin yet. But I'm thinking how could I create a small site and a blog (located in subdomain) using only 1 GS instance.
This would need some proxying for sure.
Nah, it's not a thread about this Wink

Knitter Wrote:I'll probably remove the wiki system. I first used the wiki because there was no easy way to add pages and change content, I had only the personal site with static info, but if I change to a CMS creating pages or correcting existing content easier.
but wiki systems are supposed to easily add and manage content :]
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:But you can believe me, it's one of (if not the) best contact plugins I've ever used in world of CMS in its simplicity, and amount of configurations possibilities.
It's way simpler than implementing stand alone contact form.
HTML mixed in the plugin, forces me to use what the plugin thinks is good not what I need for the site, the standard image captcha is ugly, and I find it hard to change. No translation without changing the code. This were some of the issues I faced when I used it in a site two months ago.

yojoe Wrote:If you have any suggestions about usability, you can always post them in proper thread.
Of course Smile, this is not the proper thead for comments on the plugin.

yojoe Wrote:but wiki systems are supposed to easily add and manage content :]
I no, but the requirements I had when I started using PmWiki changed a bit and they are completely fulfilled using just GetSimple and it's pages. So I guess the wiki systems will be dropped, and all content transformed into GetSimple pages.