Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directory not folder
/admin/lang/en_US.php at line 28 ('CHMOD_ERROR')

Quote:Unable to continue: Unable to write config file. CHMOD 777 the folders /data, /backups and their sub-folders and retry

I think it's not right!
'Folder' - a term for Windows system where there is no CHMOD. In Linux/Unix 'folders' are called 'directories'. So

Quote:Unable to continue: Unable to write config file. CHMOD 777 the directory /data, /backups and their subdirectory and retry

IMHO. Thanks.
What if somebody uses windows server environment ? ;>
Should devs waste their precious time to detect server platform and server proper warnings ?
This would force translators to edit language files again.

ps. I agree with directory/folder names depending on OS.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
That may be true for you english centric people Smile, but other languages may not differentiate between "directory" and "folder".

In Portuguese, you can either use "directoria" (directory), "pasta" (folder), "directório" (directory if you want to be technically precise Smile). There is no distinction between folder and directory for a portuguese user, it all translates to a word that has the same meaning. Most users don't really know if there is any difference. Also, I always learn the word "directory", even on Windows™ systems, so I guess it's not something that simple and may depend on your background.

I would change the warning to something different, instead of suggesting a permission scheme of 777, which is not a very good advice, the warning should simply indicate that the server can't write to those folders. The user should use whatever method he has to correct the problem, either using chmod, a GUI or anything else.

And preferably not using 777 on any file or folder (insert directory if you wish Smile ).
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.