Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Support for multilanguage sites, Internationalization (I18N)
How can I use it with the default GS 3.0 theme (Innovation)? I can't find the get_component and get_navigation functions.
GS fan
ldac Wrote:How can I use it with the default GS 3.0 theme (Innovation)? I can't find the get_component and get_navigation functions.

The Innovation theme is split into multiple files: there is a get_component call in sidebar.php and a get_navigation call in header.php.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:
ldac Wrote:How can I use it with the default GS 3.0 theme (Innovation)? I can't find the get_component and get_navigation functions.

The Innovation theme is split into multiple files: there is a get_component call in sidebar.php and a get_navigation call in header.php.

Thanks, I got a problem with the footer but I'll try to fix it.
GS fan
Mvlcek: does your menu plugin allow to display only slugs of a certain parent ?
Supposing yes, how should I call it ?
I doubt this is going to work: <?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug("parent-url-name")); ?>
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:Mvlcek: does your menu plugin allow to display only slugs of a certain parent ?
Supposing yes, how should I call it ?
I doubt this is going to work: <?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug("parent-url-name")); ?>

If your parent slug is "parent-url-name" and it is on the topmost level (hierarchy level 0), you should be able to display all children (hierarchy level 1) like this:

Code:
<?php get_i18n_navigation("parent-url-name", 1, 1); ?>

Or replace the third parameter with null to see the whole subtree.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Thanks, it works splendidly ! Smile
May I suggest to extend a bit usage instructions on your website, with more examples on this matter ?
This one would definitely come in handy for some users, who will seek for solution how to create 2 independent menus.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Hi Sir

what about SEO URLS ?

you use : page?lang=de

but this is not google friendly

other CMS use

/site/en/
/site/es/

GS uses normally permalinks

can you change this?

please declare it on your website.

thx
generally i will say, that this function should give a modern CMS
by default !

as we see that now themes are sold , it must be a default plugin
not a step by step editing.....

5 minutes setup and how long later`?
simple123 Wrote:what about SEO URLS ?

Google works quite well with parameters.
And if you didn't notice it, normally you don't use parameters but go to a page and it will be served in your preferred language. You only use parameters to see a page in another than your preferred language.
simple123 Wrote:Hi Sir

what about SEO URLS ?

other CMS use

/site/en/
/site/es/

GS uses normally permalinks

can you change this?

please declare it on your website.

thx
I don't think that structure is practical given GS only supports two levels in its url structure www.yoursite.com/folder/subfolder/
Todo arde si le aplicas la chispa adecuada.
I18N Version 1.2:
  • Supports external links

Usage:
  • Install the I18N Custom Fields plugin.
  • Goto Plugins/Configure Custom Fields and add a text field with name link.
  • For each external link create a dummy page, check "add to menu" and enter the URL in the custom field link.
  • Arrange your pages using the options in the page edit view or use the navigation structure view.

If you created a page Google with the custom field link set to http://www.google.com, not only the menu entry will link to Google, but also the dummy page itself, e.g. http://mysite/google will redirect you to Google.
wow, cool
http://neowebtime.ru/1/
mvlcek Wrote:I18N Version 1.2:

Usage:
  • Install the I18N Custom Fields plugin.
  • Goto Plugins/Configure Custom Fields and add a text field with name link.
  • For each external link create a dummy page, check "add to menu" and enter the URL in the custom field link.
  • Arrange your pages using the options in the page edit view or use the navigation structure view.

If you created a page Google with the custom field link set to http://www.google.com, not only the menu entry will link to Google, but also the dummy page itself, e.g. http://mysite/google will redirect you to Google.

Awesome, you beat me too it. I created something like this a while ago but never converted it into a plugin.
I will check it out.
mvlcek Wrote:
Awesome indeed.

Would you consider supporting internal redirects via a dropdown of available pages? That way users wouldn't have to enter URLs/slugs, but could simply choose from a list.

I've had a few cases where customers wanted to link to a certain page from various locations of the menu, e.g. a team page.

Keep up the good work!
Angryboy Wrote:This thing is just damned beautiful, mvlcek.

Ditto.
Modern UI Admin for GetSimple
Watch the demo. Install this plugin. Use this CSS. Enjoy.
Hey, thanks for the plugin!

I have a question. Is it possible to display Breadcrumbs without the last element? I want to combine Breadcrumbs with Page title, so it looks something like this:

Quote:home » parent » Page title

Instead of this:

Quote:home » parent » page title

Page title
How about if you styled the last breadcrumb to look like your headers using CSS?

Code:
.breadcrumb:last-child { /*STYLE OF H2 FOR EXAMPLE*/ }

You would need to ensure that the 'link' (or a (anchor) related stylings are removed from it. Just a suggestion - others may have more elegant solutions.
Thanks, Angryboy. It actually helped!
Glad to be of service. Smile
How about adding a configuration page to manage languages from administration backend, like in Joomfish (Joomla translation component) http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8430/joomfish.png ? Name, short code, active, default and order columns would be necessary. That way we could have a language switching component in frontend which could list all active languages and their names. Also adding new translations could be simplified - no more manual creation of pages with _lang-code suffix.

Another important thing would be display of menu items only if they have translations in that language.
Joshas Wrote:How about adding a configuration page to manage languages from administration backend, like in Joomfish (Joomla translation component) http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8430/joomfish.png ? Name, short code, active, default and order columns would be necessary. That way we could have a language switching component in frontend which could list all active languages and their names. Also adding new translations could be simplified - no more manual creation of pages with _lang-code suffix.

You only need to add the language code suffix for the first page in this language, afterwards you can use the + icons in the language's column in the I18N pages view.

A configuration page would make the plugin much more complex:
  • should probably have a list of possible languages, maybe even flag items
  • needs additional configurations - currently it just checks which languages are used

Joshas Wrote:Another important thing would be display of menu items only if they have translations in that language.

It is deliberately done the way it is now, e.g. if your browser language settings are french, german and the default language of the site is english:
  • If there is a french version, the french page is displayed
  • If there is a german version, the german page is displayed
  • Otherwise the default english page is displayed - if you use Chrome, you can translate it automatically
In my case we need to display a bit differed information to "foreign" users, hence the shorter menu. Is there any way to hide untranslated menu items without hacking the plugin?
And how to get a list of available languages? I'm currently using $i18n_languages variable, but array order changes after I select another language (selected language moves to front of array). I'm trying to implement language switcher widget in theme.
I just tested how to use this great plugin to create a sitemap for your content and it works great.

The steps are described in this posting: http://get-simple.info/forum/post/12157/#p12157

Mvlcek, you could add this to your examples, so the list of purposes of this great plugin just grows ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
I18N Version 1.3:
  • replaced showall-Parameter with show parameter:
    • for a menu, which should only contain entries, which are available for the current language use "get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),1,10,I18N_SHOW_LANGUAGE)"
    • for a site map use "get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),1,10,I18N_SHOW_PAGES)" or "get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),1,10,I18N_SHOW_MENU)", depending on whether you want to display all pages or only the pages visible in the menu.

Connie Wrote:I just tested how to use this great plugin to create a sitemap for your content and it works great.

It's even better with the new version, as you can include all pages in the site map, even if they do not show up in the menu.

Joshas Wrote:Another important thing would be display of menu items only if they have translations in that language.

This feature is now available, too. See above.
Thanks!