Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Search plugin (I18N)
I18N Search version 1.3.1:
  • fixes the "last-page" link, when having more than two pages of search results
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I18N Search version 2.0:
  • supports indexing/searching of custom fields (with I18N Custom Fields 1.8+)
  • supports indexing of non-page data, if supported by the respective plugin.
  • custom result item rendering

@Plugin Developers: see i18n_search_dummy.zip for an example on how to index and search for your plugin's data.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I18N Search version 2.1:
  • fixes some bugs with non-standard sorting and RSS feeds
  • adds RSS links to the HTML head, if a RSS link is included on the page
I18N Search version 2.1.1:
  • fixes some bugs regarding language (together with I18N plugin) and returning empty results
Hello,

I have a couple of issues with the Search plugin. I have reproduced them on a clean GS installation, with only the I18N v2.2 and I18N_Search v2.1.1 plugins added.

This is on a local Linux server and GS is installed in a sub-directory. (It is quite possible that Apache has set-up issues that wouldn't be on an Internet-facing production server, but no other problems are apparent with GS running here.)

Server is : Debian Linux 2.6.32-5-686; Apache 2.2.16 (Debian); PHP 5.3.3-7+squeeze3 with Suhosin-Patch.
  • In the search results, there is a rogue li tag appearing. This is the generated html snippet:
Code:
<ul class="search-results">
  <li class="search-entry">
  <li class="search-entry">
    (search result)
  </li>
</ul>
The html line <li class="search-entry"> is duplicated before each search result.

I see the same thing in search results at http://mvlcek.bplaced.net, but not at Oleg's chaga mushroom site, nor at http://www.get-simple.de. Any ideas, please ? It's giving me a problem, showing a list bullet next to an empty line.
  • I would also like to clarify a couple of posts from earlier in this thread, about the ?lang=en query string on links in search results. Should the i18n=0 switch prevent the query string from being appended to the link ? This is on a site with only one language : I18N is added for the menu and page management functions.
  • The i18n files for I18N_Search don't allow the use of variations on the base language, thus en_GB is not recognised and if I want to make system-wide changes to, for example, the date format, I have to modify a distributed file (en.php).

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit to add:
  • What's the difference between p and pm as excerpt specifiers, please ?
--
Nick.
hameau Wrote:I have a couple of issues with the Search plugin.
  • In the search results, there is a rogue li tag appearing. ...

Thanks for the bug report. I didn't spot this - which was introduced with the "component for display" feature.
Solved in 2.1.2.

hameau Wrote:
  • I would also like to clarify a couple of posts from earlier in this thread, about the ?lang=en query string on links in search results. Should the i18n=0 switch prevent the query string from being appended to the link ? This is on a site with only one language : I18N is added for the menu and page management functions.

Yes, that's right. Honoring this option was lost with 2.0. Corrected it in 2.1.2

hameau Wrote:
  • The i18n files for I18N_Search don't allow the use of variations on the base language, thus en_GB is not recognised and if I want to make system-wide changes to, for example, the date format, I have to modify a distributed file (en.php).

Yes, you need to change the distributed file, but that would also be the case if en_GB was supported and included in the plugin and you wanted to change it.
The reason for the language without variation is that I can't envision a (GetSimple) site where you would have different versions of english (or spanish) for your visitors.
The request language is retrieved from the browser languages and compared with the supported languages: if we had a german (default language) web site with en_GB as second language, an american would see the german default version, as en and en_US don't match en_GB.

hameau Wrote:
  • What's the difference between p and pm as excerpt specifiers, please ?

p = paragraphs
pm = paragraphs with more (i.e. a <p>...</p> is added, if there is more content)
Where did I document or use these modifiers?
I18N Search version 2.1.2:
  • fixes a bug that displayed <li> twice in the search results
  • honors again the parameter i18n:0
Thank you for the fast response, as always. I'm glad it wasn't something I had done. ;-)

mvlcek Wrote:Yes, you need to change the distributed file ... /snipped/
I understand what you say, but I'm not sure that your assertion is correct.

I set my browser language preference to Canadian French (fr-ca), with no other languages as alternatives, and go to Oleg's mushroom site. His default language is set as Russian; my browser asks for fr-CA and I am served the French version. (I agree that this is not a particularly exhaustive test, but it's a site that was immediately available to try.)

Additionally, everywhere else in GS (including your own plug-ins), language is expressed as language_locale. It was the difference in expected date and time formats between US English and British English that led me to look at making the distinction. It isn't a major problem.

Edit to add : You are right, this is not testing the same thing. Sorry for the noise.

mvlcek Wrote:p = paragraphs
pm = paragraphs with more (i.e. a <p>...</p> is added, if there is more content)
Where did I document or use these modifiers?
Not documented, as such. You mentioned them in passing in another thread, so I went looking for information in the source. They are (very lightly) commented in searcher.class.php (line 12). In fact, I see no difference between p and pm: neither has the ellipsis appended to the excerpt. It works well. It would be nice to exclude any header tags in the excerpt and only quote the contents of the <p>...</p>.

For me, an excerpt by paragraph is really useful -- please don't take this away! It makes for much cleaner presentation of the search results, imo.

Thanks again for some great plug-ins.
--
Nick.
I18N Search version 2.2:
  • supports fancy URLs containing the language, when used with I18N
  • uses the Pagify plugin for paging long result lists, if installed (includes use of fancy URLs for page number, if so configured)
I18N Search version 2.3:
  • do not show tag cloud on search form, if javascript is disabled
  • if tags are selected, all other tags that a combination with whom would yield zero results, are marked
  • the search text field will suggest words, if letters are entered

For an example see http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/search/.

To make sure that tags are grayed out, if they are not available, make sure to define CSS rules like
Code:
#content .tags .tag {
  cursor: pointer;
}
#content .tags .tag.selected, #content .tags .tag.selected.unavailable {
  color: blue;
}
#content .tags .tag.unavailable {
  color: lightgray;    
}

To adjust the auto-complete styles to your site's look-and-feel, you need to add CSS rules like this:
Code:
body .ac_odd {
  background-color: blue;
}
body .ac_over {
  background-color: lightblue;
  color: white;
}
Look at /plugins/i18n_search/css/jquery.autocomplete.css, if you want to change more.
Jesus Christ on a bicycle in Switzerland. The updates you've made that enable the customization of the displayed results are absolutely freaking fantastic, and allow you to properly make the news manager that you want. Heck, this can ultimately become a sorting machine for any sort of page: news, blog posts, article posts, the works. You've given the keys to an even more awesome thing than before, mvlcek, and I bow to you for this.

*bows meekly*

I'm tempted to make another article on how to display the results like a news plugin again with this new iteration.
Thank you, Angryboy!
I'm glad you like it :-)

Martin
Hello and thanks for a plugin that is quite essential.

I am quite a novice and before digging into the code I wanted to ask if the dead simple way to have a search page is to add

(% searchform %)

(% searchresults %)

to it. Because when I created that page and tried to search, it just took me to the home page.
If there's no that dead simple way, please pardon my ingorance.
diem Wrote:I wanted to ask if the dead simple way to have a search page is to add

(% searchform %)

(% searchresults %)

to it.

Yes, it is. However, due to a change it stopped working, if you don't use fancy URLs.
I fixed the bug and uploaded a new version: 2.3.1.
Please download, it should work now.
Many thanks for the timely response. It is kinda functioning now. Smile I say kinda, because the only results I get are the dates when the relevant post where published.
Struggled with this last night busting myself to get it working LOL I should visit here more often Smile

Now only showing the dates and no text and no clickable headers to pull up the details? with the new update

Only showing the following?

Search Results

Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 8:50 AM
Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 8:51 AM
Pete

Chefbyte Services
@chefbyte, @diem:
Do you have a link to your site for me to take a look?
mvlcek Wrote:@chefbyte, @diem:

Sure, its http://www.55002koyli.com/newsite/
Fancy URLs are off
Pete

Chefbyte Services
chefbyte Wrote:
mvlcek Wrote:@chefbyte, @diem:

Sure, its http://www.55002koyli.com/newsite/
Fancy URLs are off

... and usage without the I18N plugin was broken, too.

I18N Search version 2.3.2:
  • fixes a bug that prevents it from showing results if the I18N plugin is not installed.

BTW: You should include jQuery in your template to get a much nicer search form.
mvlcek Wrote:BTW: You should include jQuery in your template to get a much nicer search form.

Thanks for fixing this, works a treat Smile

Not sure what you mean about JQuery but will seek help
Pete

Chefbyte Services
chefbyte Wrote:
mvlcek Wrote:BTW: You should include jQuery in your template to get a much nicer search form.

Thanks for fixing this, works a treat Smile

Not sure what you mean about JQuery but will seek help

I too would be interested in a hint about this one Smile
Also, search works fine now, thnx Wink
Quote:BTW: You should include jQuery in your template to get a much nicer search form.

this was a suggestion
It means that there are many Jquery possibilities to embellish ugly forms, with Jquery you can combine
beauty and functionality
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
chefbyte Wrote:Not sure what you mean about JQuery but will seek help

If you include jQuery (a javascript library) in your HTML head, the search form will show a tag cloud (if you entered tags for your pages) and suggest words for the search, see here for an example.
mvlcek Wrote:
chefbyte Wrote:Not sure what you mean about JQuery but will seek help

If you include jQuery (a javascript library) in your HTML head, the search form will show a tag cloud (if you entered tags for your pages) and suggest words for the search, see here for an example.

Got ya and now understand, many thanks for the feedback and prompt response.

Noted since the last update you posted, in my plugins folder, I only have the following showing in the list for the I18N plugin

Plugin Description Status
Innovation Theme Settings Settings for the default GetSimple 3.0 Theme: Innovation Version 1.1 — Author: Chris Cagle Deactivate

Version — Author: Deactivate

Events Manage Events Version 2.1j — Author: Sam Collett Deactivate

Its not showing the Plugin name or the description?
Pete

Chefbyte Services
Hey there, quick question. Is there a way to exclude pages from the search so that they don't show up?