Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pagify Plugin
abayomi222 Wrote:Hello Yojoe,
I have now tried the i18n_gallery pagination functionality but it is not working.
I selected 5 as my page size under the paging but it is not reflecting any impact cos all my gallery images still display fully.
Please help
Look into i18n_g thread.
Check paging checkbox.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Is it possible that another indicator can be added for page splitting? For example, splitting the page according to a horizontal line:

Code:
<hr class="pagify">

This way pages can be divided according to certain content blocks rather than just paragraph/byte count (so certain pages can have more content on them than others without being split awkwardly).
Pagify version 1.1:
  • will split the content on <hr> or <hr />, if you don't specify a size with the tag (@AngryBoy)

You can add the 'HorizontalRule' button to the CKEditor to make inserting <hr>s easy.
The <hr> are removed, when you display the complete page with the URL parameter complete.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
CSS and ckeditor already has page breaking support.

It uses this
The ckeditor button does this
Code:
<div style="page-break-after: always;">

I've seen other cms uses this for exceprt and page breaks.

http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/page-break-after
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
shawn_a Wrote:CSS and ckeditor already has page breaking support.

It uses this
Code:

Yes, I saw it, but the editor button looks grayed out (although it works), the div looks strange in CKEditor, it's rather for printing and - most important - it's harder to parse than a simple <hr> ;-)
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:
shawn_a Wrote:CSS and ckeditor already has page breaking support.

It uses this
Code:

Yes, I saw it, but the editor button looks grayed out (although it works), the div looks strange in CKEditor, it's rather for printing and - most important - it's harder to parse than a simple <hr> ;-)

Yeah but its universal, Ive used it in drupal and others and has a nice editor support for displaying the break.
HR are for layout, some people use hr under headers.

hmm, harder to parse ?, its all the same as far as regex is concerned.

Its grayed out because the skin image is missing it, maybe ill add mine to core so we can have all our buttons back.
shawn_a Wrote:Yes, I saw it, but the editor button looks grayed out (although it works), the div looks strange in CKEditor, it's rather for printing and - most important - it's harder to parse than a simple <hr> ;-)
Joomla has an editor button (not wysiwyg) inserting hr with class, where in a popup user provides page's title and TOC link.
Output code looks like this:
Code:
<hr title="page title" alt="toc link" class="system-pagebreak" />
I haven't logged on in a while to see this: thanks for adding the functionality mvlcek! :-)
I wanted to try pagify 1.1 with hr tag and fURLs.
Unfortunately, with furls links in pagination menu lead to 404.

Used config:
- gs 3.1.2
- i18n with custom link structure: %nondefaultlanguage%/%parent%/%slug%
- nested page (2nd lvl) contains only _pagify tag to be used with ckeditor's hr button
- tried with different separator chars

With disabled furls in GS, deleted rewrite rules and w/o gsconfig entry, pagify works nicely generating working parent/slug?page=X links.

ps. there an additional / in rewrite rule inside pagify.php howto, which is not included in plugin's description in GS extend.
(2012-03-24, 02:37:46)mvlcek Wrote: Doesn't it work with

Code:
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+);(\d+)/?$ index.php?id=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?$ index.php?id=$1 [QSA,L]
?

Used config:
- gs 3.1.2
- i18n with custom link structure: /%slug%html
- nested page (2nd lvl) contains only _pagify tag to be used with ckeditor's hr button

I followed the instructions for the Pagify plugin (modify gsconfig, htaccess, etc.) and have had some success. I can get the plugin to work when I turn off fancy URL's. However, when I enable the fancy URL's the second, third, fourth pages (etc.) do not appear and I get the message "Oops! Page not found!".

My rewrite condition differes slightly. I have the rule enabling html as an extension.

I believe the rewrite rule is where the issue is. The resulting URL generated is: "http://localhost/usedconecrushers/test.html;2"

I would welcome any feedback as to what the issue might be that is preventing secondary pages from appearing.
I found a problem with this plugin:

The second and subsequent generated pages are not included in the sitemap (sitemap.xml), as well as for them does not change the value of link rel = "canonical"

Ie, for example, the page

Code:
http://somedomain.com/info/example;2

is as follows:

Code:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://somedomain.com/info/example" />

But it's a different page!

For this reason, I think, a site can be indexed not properly by search engines.

Is there a solution to this problem?
(2013-02-07, 21:13:26)AlexStarnavsky Wrote: The second and subsequent generated pages are not included in the sitemap (sitemap.xml), as well as for them does not change the value of link rel = "canonical"

Ie, for example, the page
Code:
http://somedomain.com/info/example;2
is as follows:
Code:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://somedomain.com/info/example" />

For this reason, I think, a site can be indexed not properly by search engines.

I'll try to fix this in the next version.
(2013-02-07, 22:52:24)mvlcek Wrote: I'll try to fix this in the next version.

OK. Thank You! Smile
In the meantime, a workaround is changing <?php get_header();?> by <?php get_header(false);?>
This way you simply remove the canonical link.

@mvlcek I'm very curious about how yo intend to fix this. I can only think of using an alternative template tag, to be used like:
<?php get_pagify_header() or get_header(); ?>
(This is what I'll probably do with a plugin that has the same issue)
Carlos, I think that disable the display of canonical links - is a bad idea, if you use "Fancy URLs".
When the "Fancy URLs" is enabled, the same page will be available with different URL. For example:
Page 1: somedomain.com/service
Page 2: somedomain.com/about
Also, "page 1" will be available at URL:
somedomain.com/about/service
somedomain.com/service/index/about/service
somedomain.com/index/about/service
somedomain.com/service/service/about/about/service/about/servie
etc.
In turn, "page 2" will be available at URL:
somedomain.com/service/about/about
somedomain.com/about/service/about/service/about/about
etc.
If not specified in header canonical link, and search engine suddenly somehow "know" about such links - the site may be penalized for spamdexing (in this case - for different pages with the same content).
Sorry for my bad english.
(2013-02-08, 01:41:23)Carlos Wrote: @mvlcek I'm very curious about how yo intend to fix this. I can only think of using an alternative template tag, to be used like:
<?php get_pagify_header() or get_header(); ?>
(This is what I'll probably do with a plugin that has the same issue)

That's why I answered with "I'll try...".
I18N already uses the approach mentioned: get_i18n_header() - but what do you use if you have both I18N and Pagify?

I suppose that I could do a hack like this (argh):
  • on index-pretemplate set globals $PRETTYURLS to 1 (if it isn't already) and set $PERMALINK (if it isn't already), then modify the $PERMALINK to contain the page number - or alternatively the parameter complete for the non-paged version.
  • on theme-header reset $PRETTYURLS and $PERMALINK
  • hope that in between no plugin wants to create a link to another page :-(
(2013-02-08, 02:15:54)mvlcek Wrote: That's why I answered with "I'll try...".

:-)

(2013-02-08, 02:15:54)mvlcek Wrote: I18N already uses the approach mentioned: get_i18n_header() - but what do you use if you have both I18N and Pagify?

I suppose you could have another function get_i18n_pagify_header() for those using I18N:
<?php get_i18n_pagify_header() or get_i18n_header(); ?>

Obviously this requires that get[i18n]_pagify_header functions don't echo anything and return false if not in a numbered page.

What do you think about this "... or ..." approach? (different to get_i18n_header's, that replaces get_header instead of complementing it)

(2013-02-08, 02:15:54)mvlcek Wrote: I suppose that I could do a hack like this (argh):
  • on index-pretemplate set globals $PRETTYURLS to 1 (if it isn't already) and set $PERMALINK (if it isn't already), then modify the $PERMALINK to contain the page number - or alternatively the parameter complete for the non-paged version.
  • on theme-header reset $PRETTYURLS and $PERMALINK
  • hope that in between no plugin wants to create a link to another page :-(

Very clever hack! hadn't thought of that, thanks. But it's too... argh :-)
I don't know, maybe better wait for GS having a hook/filter for this as I requested in another thread.
@AlexStarnavsky
Sorry I missed your post.

(2013-02-08, 02:09:09)AlexStarnavsky Wrote: Carlos, I think that disable the display of canonical links - is a bad idea, if you use "Fancy URLs".
When the "Fancy URLs" is enabled, the same page will be available with different URL. For example:
If not specified in header canonical link, and search engine suddenly somehow "know" about such links - the site may be penalized for spamdexing (in this case - for different pages with the same content).

I don't think you are going to be penalized for this. See here:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin...wer=139394

So you're helping Google select your preferred url, but there's really no problem if you have duplicate pages in your site (it would not be the same if it was across different sites), Google will select one of them (which will normally be the one you have linked in your site) and ignore the rest.

However: if you have several pages with different content but sharing the same canonical link, all but one will probably be ignored by Google.
I've seen this happen with some site using GS.
Hi,

I am using both pagify and faq and both are great. Thanks for creating both these plug-ins. The only problem is that they don't seem to work together.

I have some faqs with long answers which will fit on one page with autoclose, but if a user does not have JavaScript enabled, it will overflow.

Is there any easy way to get pagify to page this?

Phil Tarr
(BB Mountaineering Club)
Hi,

I use gs 3.1.2

.htaccess
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+);(\d+).html$ index.php?id=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+).html$ index.php?id=$1 [QSA,L]

Custom Permalink Structure: %slug%.html

in this configuration, the link takes the form "/link.html;2" and result not found

if default (empty) gs permalink structure and correct .htaccess that works correctly.

what needs to be done to link was correct "/link;2.html" with %slug%.html
My read more hyperlink stays blank. I added in the gsconfig constant, modified my htaccess file as above, and added
Code:
<?php pagify_set_size(200); ?>
just above get_page_content() in my template. What am I missing?

http://sic-parvis-magna.com/

I just realized that it was separating my pages correctly, but not my blog posts, which is what I want to have broken up. My homepage lists only blog posts.

I commented out the pagify function in my template until I figure out how to have it work on the blog.
Hullo Martin,

I've decided to integrate pagify for a plugin and noticed one tiny correction that needs making on line 146:

Change:
PHP Code:
return $pages[$pageNum] . "\n" return_pagify_navigation(count($pages), $pageNum); 

To:
PHP Code:
return $pages[$pageNum] . "\n" return_pagify_navigation(count($pages), $pageNum$link); 

Otherwise the new links will never be shown in the paginated navigation.

Thanks again for the extendable nature of your plugins.
Time to bump this thread, as pagify works great and is a must have for websites having walls of text.
It would even work greater if it took advantage of
Quote:# Enable auto meta descriptions from content excerpts when empty
define('GSAUTOMETAD',true);
Did that change affect this plugin ?
(2014-02-01, 10:08:38)shawn_a Wrote: Did that change affect this plugin ?

Unfortunately no. All pages created using pagify plugin get meta description taken from beginning of first page content.

btw. exactly 155chars are being taken, no matter if the word is being cut in half (hope there won't be problems with 2byte special chars). AFAIR one of excerpt script or plugin I posted long time ago was properly handling too long strings.