Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sendmail stopped working, password reset email is trapped!
I was working on a GS site hosted with GoDaddy (last time, I swear!) and it seems that GS has somehow stopped working with GoDaddy's sendmail. We had the excellent p01-Contact Form plugin installed, but it stopped sending form emails sometime last week.

So, to help determine whether it was a problem with the plugin or a problem with GS itself, I thought I'd try sending a password reset... and now that email seems to have disappeared into the ether, leaving me with a new, random password that I can't get to. So now I'm locked out of the admin page as well!

I need to file a bug report on that (a password reset request should never delete the existing password until the new one is used to log in), but first things first -- I need to get my admin account back! Is there anything I can do through FTP to accomplish this?
Assuming you're still on version 2.03; you could use FTP to reset your password manually. Locate the file "/data/user/xml" (this file stores your username and password). This is where it might become a bit tricky; the password is obviously encrypted (using sha1). So you'll need to find a way to encrypt the password you want to put in here first (if you're using salt on your GS, don't forget about taking this into account when encrypting the new password). Hope this helps!

- Matt