Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Ignore the (site-wide theme) Mess
No problem - thanks for following up on this. Unfortunately I am seeing some weird shifting on my IE8 machine so there is definitely something wrong. It is good to know that it's not all IE users seeing this weird phenomenon

PS: The new homepage is up and lookin' good.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:No problem - thanks for following up on this. Unfortunately I am seeing some weird shifting on my IE8 machine so there is definitely something wrong.

I do also have weird shifting in IE8 - the worst on the home page - see attachment: at first the page seems ok, then the image scrolls - font changes, sometimes just to GetSimple, sometimes to garbled GetSimple as in attachment.
On the about page the GETSIMPLE text changes to GetSimple and back.

In Firefox on each page change, e.g from home to about the logo first flashes first as GetSimple - maybe only with slow connection - I'm currently using a WLAN.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Yep, i'm seeing the same thing... I think it's a bug in the CSS somewhere, but I can't find it... I will keep investigating.
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Ok, it was the stupid bullet-proof @font-face syntax that fontspring supposedly created. I removed all @font-face declarations for IE and dumbed it down to Ariel font instead. This should be fixed now...
- Chris

ccagle8 Wrote:PS: The new homepage is up and lookin' good.

I like the slideshow but didn't realize it was one! (ADHD, could not sit on the page for more than 5 seconds Wink )

Does the slideshow you are using allow for navigation dots?
(o) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )

-Rob A>
in regards of the slider, add to its container overflow:hidden
otherwise all content of this container is seen with jscript turned off.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
@chris Nice job on the homepage! If you don't mind me suggesting one small thing; some controls for the main slideshow?

And this might be a weird question; but what's that "email marketing" link doing on the home page? I noticed on the old site as well...
Just reading the topic back now and I'm rather surprised to see how this thread turned from being about the site wide changes to being about our themes (our themes looking like TemplateMonster? Seriously Matt, what does this opinion contribute to this topic?) ... Anyway, guess I'll better refrain myself from touching apparently sensitive topics in the future...
Good idea on the controls guys - I will get that done tomorrow.

@Matt - its a nice monthly ad payment Smile
- Chris

He he... Smile
That was a little unnecessary, actually I'm pretty sure I contradicted myself within the same post by making a comment about your themes.

I hate to be blunt but thats what I see, I can't locate it now but I have seen a theme almost identical to your PixelStudio theme and Simplicious theme. I'm definately not saying your themes are of poor design, I actually really like a couple of them; they just remind me of mass produced themes.

Now lets get back on topic. I am running IE and am currently seeing some text jumps. If I could, I would submit a screen shot.

getsimplethemes Wrote:Just reading the topic back now and I'm rather surprised to see how this thread turned from being about the site wide changes to being about our themes (our themes looking like TemplateMonster? Seriously Matt, what does this opinion contribute to this topic?) ... Anyway, guess I'll better refrain myself from touching apparently sensitive topics in the future...
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
Chris, is there any particular reason why you have chosen to put the ads in the footer on the forums? This seem to hurt the visibility a bit (obviously talking from the point of view of an advertiser here Smile). I was actually expecting a decrease in click-throughs after that change, but so far it seems to be ok (I guess the ads on the homepage are making up for lost click-throughs from the forums).
I felt they were a little too in your face in the header, and since not every part of the site has the ability to have a sidebar, the footer was the only other option. I tried to decrease the $ on the ads, but it's already as low as BSA allows it.
- Chris

Great work Chris - site looks very nice. One minor issue with dropdown "About" menu - it appears without transition, but disappears with transition. And maybe screenshots could be displayed using facybox or similar script?
I see. Understood!

You wouldn't be willing to try some other ad positions/sizes? I would be happy to pay more for better positions and a different (larger) size ad. I also understand you don't want to overdo the site with advertisements; just wanted to let you know I would happy to pay more for better ads.
I am glad that the adverts are not so prominent but still visible...

the main audience for the site are the existing and the future-users and not the customers of adverts, I think

it is no good experience to find ads more prominent than content...

as adverts are necessary but not the MAIN content, and as the ads are still very visible, the position is ok
in my opinion

I respect the whishes of advertisers (and I really estimate getsimplethemes.com) but content and ads must stay in relation ... content is king ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Wow, I got on the slider... :-)
@oleg: only important people get to be on the homepage!

@matthew: Im not seeing any more text shifting in IE... can you verify you are still seeing it? What version of IE? What is shifting?

@joshas: thanks... i will look into that...

@connie: agreed... that is the exact reason why the ads are where they are. Sorry Matt, at this point I don't want to give any more prominence to the ads - Hopefully they still convert for you... if not, I completely understand why you would pull out of the advertising...
- Chris

Chris. new design for the website is looking good.

One thing that bothers me in the forum is, that there is no pagination at the bottom of the posts. Is this something that can be enabled? It's frustrating to have to go to the top of the page to go to the next page.

Also, regarding extend. I also had problems with markdown and the description of the plugin. Is there a way you can provide a preview or something, because the page seems to be cached, and I'm blindly editing without knowing how the description is going to look.

And again, keep up the great work. I'm a supported of GetSimple and believe in it. I think it's rock solid, and to the point!
- Julian

My GetSimple Plugins: Simple Image Gallery | TweetMeme reTweet Button
Thanks for the vote of support Julian! Extend should now clear the cache everytime a plugin is updated, so you can now preview as soon as you hit Save.

In terms of Markdown... not sure what we can do here since many extend pages use it - and if i change, all those plugin pages will break. What specifically needs to change with the Markdown support?

Pagination at the bottom of the forum is a great idea... i will look into it.
- Chris

Yes, I recently noticed missing pagination on forum too. And I get the feeling it was there some time ago. I might be wrong.
On extend page there is a "bug" to put your extension on top of the list by just opening it and pressing Update file, without making any real modifications. Not a big problem now, but it might be later.
yeah, i guess all it will take is a check to see if anything changed... but then again, if someone was determined, they could just add a space to the description, and circumvent that check...

I feel that if a plugin is updated, it should be at the top of the list... i hope everyone else agrees. I think once Extend gains more traction it won't be such a problem. (we will see)
- Chris

ccagle8 Wrote:Thanks for the vote of support Julian! Extend should now clear the cache everytime a plugin is updated, so you can now preview as soon as you hit Save.
That's great Chris, this will help a lot when updating description of plugins. Smile
ccagle8 Wrote:In terms of Markdown... not sure what we can do here since many extend pages use it - and if i change, all those plugin pages will break. What specifically needs to change with the Markdown support?
I don't have anything against markdown. My problem was, I was not able to view the changes right away, so I did not know if they looked fine or not (solved). As for the problem with function names that have underscores such as myname_is_getsimple then I have no idea what the fix would be. Maybe provide the ability to turn off markdown, and allow the most widely used html elements.
ccagle8 Wrote:Pagination at the bottom of the forum is a great idea... i will look into it.
Hopefully this is something that it's easy to integrate, and will look forward to it.

New Look of Website
-----------------------------
I'm also experiencing the jumping/flickering of the GETSIMPLE and Download Latest button.
In both chrome and firefox. I'm using linux (ubuntu)
- Julian

My GetSimple Plugins: Simple Image Gallery | TweetMeme reTweet Button
ccagle8 Wrote:In terms of Markdown... not sure what we can do here since many extend pages use it - and if i change, all those plugin pages will break. What specifically needs to change with the Markdown support?

Markdown formatting that does not work is e.g. using <url> and escaping with backslash does not work, e.g. for "get\_i18n\_component"

I think that <, > and \ are incorrectly removed or filtered out before saving (could of course also be before displaying by markdown).
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I also was wondering where did the pagination below last post on a thread's page go.

In regards of extend section, GS Version drop down list should contain v3.0 beta, as we shouldn't assume that updates and new things created for 3.0b will work flawlessly with 3.0gold without the need of additional changes.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad