Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic download of language files
To simplify the language configuration for new users, I suggest to:
  • improve the Extend API with a function to return all language files, and
  • put all CKEditor language files into a publicly accessible area on get-simple.info

in order to implement a GetSimple core functionality to select and download languages from the admin settings:
  • new sidebar entry in Settings: Add language
  • which shows a list of languages from Extend, appropriate for the installed version of GetSimple
  • user can select one language and press a button Download
  • language ZIP is downloaded, unzipped and put into /admin/lang/ (overwriting older files)
  • based on the name of the file put into /admin/lang/ the language file of CKEditor - if it exists - is also downloaded and put into the appropriate directory.

This way it doesn't matter that much if only a view languages are distributed with GetSimple and the user can always easily get the newest language files.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
This isn't a bad idea, but would take a lot of planning to get it right and flawless. We might consider it for 3.1 as I think we might use that release to start using the GetSimple API more:

- Check for GS Updates - not only within HealthCheck (which is kinda hidden if you never go there)
- Check for updates to Plugins
- Maybe this suggestion to download languages
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:- Check for updates to Plugins

The problem with that is that currently there is no way to find the plugin in Extend - in GetSimple you have the plugin's file name (the plugin name) and it's title, as specified in register_plugin - in Extend you just have the name given by the developer on upload (which can be different from that in the plugin) and an ID.

I suppose, on upload of a plugin by a developer Extend would have to unpack the zip, get the filename(s) of the php files and store them, so that they can be accessed by filename via the API. Shouldn't be too hard.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
yeah, theres a lot of thinking going to be involved here - including caching API requests. You can go by either the filename (but there is no guarantee that it is going to be unique) or by Extend ID. But then with ID, you only know it after you upload to Extend...

So many things to think about...
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!