Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User management
First of all, thanks a lot for very promising system you created. Very nice.

Although, there is one thing that would be great to have. I know that this is not under development, but i hope that someday GetSimple will have user management, where admin can add, edit, delete users. And that admin can restrict user permissions, just to avoid system hassle.

Im pretty sure that many users will need this function.

Thanks!

max
Thank you max - as of right now I don't see user management within GS's scope. If you need a CMS with different users and roles, then I think the site is not the type of site that should be using GS.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
i agree chris but what if the designer / developer still wanted access to the cms after they turn it over to the client? Say i am hosting the cms and designed the website and i give the user the login and password and a few months down the road they want me to change something within the system or add a component or something, i would need to log in and it would be a hassle asking for the login information. Any way to have two logins (even if they are the same admin features)?
i see what you mean Jeff, but right now i'm working on getting the main features that GS lacks coded... seamless media upload, thumbnail generations, ckeditor replacement, better uploads.... maybe a simple form of user management will come down the line - you never know.
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
I've just developed two GS sites for clients, one of whom is a bit more tech savvy than the other. Already the less tech savvy client has had me go into the dashboard to change something around that he couldn't figure out on his own. Because he understood that there would be one login for his GS site (from previously working with me on other projects where we used content management systems that allowed different logins), there was no problem with him providing me his login credentials.

I think this boils down to a trust issue. If they want me to help them, then they need to give me their login credentials so I can do just that. I don't really see this as a huge issue. And in fact if you need multiple user levels, then GS (as it currently stands) likely isn't for you anyway. Wink
Pixelita Designs
http://www.pixelita.com
Visit Serbia's biggest and best internet forum!
http://www.burek.com
yeah, just in case though if you design the page and host it for a client and they dont even really change much and you gave them login credentials and a few months down the road you want to automatically upgrade to the latest GS for them and dont want to ask for the pw it would be nice just to have a master login that we install in all our customers cms.
I don't know if I want to do anything "behind the client's back." Even if you are hosting them yourself, it's nice to give someone a heads up about what you're doing. And unless our clients have maintenance contracts, we don't upgrade them. So they're paying for our upgrade services and for that reason, it's no big deal to them if in the case of GS (and right now there is no other "case" since our other clients are using Expression Engine, WordPress or CMS Made Simple, which all allow multiple logins) to ask for login info if they've changed it. We only have two clients using GS right now and they're currently on 1.7, and also on maintenance contracts so they expect us to go in and perform maintenance so we don't foresee that issues. YMMV.
Pixelita Designs
http://www.pixelita.com
Visit Serbia's biggest and best internet forum!
http://www.burek.com
This CMS is just what I was looking for! The interface is beautiful, clean and simple. This is by far the nicest, cleanest open source CMS i've come across.

It would be absolutely PERFECT if there was some sort of user management. That is all it needs. Please I hope you consider this one additional feature. It can still be simple even if you add user management!

Excellent job! I wish there were more developers out there like you.
I found an easy way to prevent customers from modifying the templates and site configuration.

I replace the files admin/template.php and admin/settings.php with empty files, and when I work on the site I reload the original files.
Just showed a client who wanted to use a cms, wants to use wordpress but really its way too bloated for what they need. They have a staff and they all do different things, sure its a trust issue but really some people only NEED to do one thing. It is a NEED.

I propose a user system. I'll make it if I have to.
http://nijikokun.com
random stuff. idk.
Just a "simple" rights management within two groups: Webmasters with all rights and Moderators with the right to edit pages and media uploads without ability to change template, backups and configuration. Would be very nice in future.
Simplify, optimize, minimalize but keep the core.
I believe some sort of user management is great, but it should be a plug-in. The majority of sites that I'm creating with GS are one person sites. If anything gets screwed up, that's what the backup system is for. However, it would be nice "plugin-wise" to retain admin control and just allow the site owner to control pages and uploads.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
I 100% agree with internet54 on this subject. Right now, I am pretty sure there are not enough "hooks" distributed across GS to create something like this, but I am willing to add those needed hooks for someone who develops this plugin.
- Chris

I believe whats needed in the core for starters is that multiple user's can be added to the users.xml...

adding rights and permissions etc. should be "hook"-able...
Is it even possible to create a plugin replacing the current Login System?

The one thing I disagree with you guys is that a Multiple User system makes this CMS to complex. Just a simple user management system would be great.. In my opinion there only needs to be two groups.. 1 for the designer and as many others as the client would like (Clients should only be able to edit content not the theme...

I would be glad to work on a plugin for this, but I am not really sure of the hooks I would need to use to bypass the current User Processing System.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
There are no hooks for it I think, there is no hook inside the authentication function and I don’t think you’ll be able to skip the check by putting code somewhere outside. Though, on the other end, you might be able to create a complete new login page that and from there just create the cookie that authenticates the user to GetSimple as logged in. The problem with that would be that all users share the same cookie.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!