Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugins NOT showing up in plugins tab
I have recently installed GS and also tried uploading the News Manager (Updated) plugin. This didn't show up in the plugins tab and I have been waiting over a week for a response to a question to Carlos in that plugins thread.

Since there has been no answer yet, I decided to try insdtalling another plugin, GS Blog 2018, and after downloading it, extracting it to a folder on my laptop, I proceeded to upload it to the GS installation plugins folder which is cms/plugins on the site I am trying to get this stuff working on.

The plugin did not appear in the plugins tab. This means there is something preventing plugins from appearing here. I need help with this as this is not covered anywhere that I can find.

The two default plugins that come with GS 3.3.16 do appear there, but not any that are uploaded.

The server is running PHP 7.2 and there are two issues when checking the health of the installation. Here they are:

Directory Permissions

File Name: /data/other/plugins.xml
0755 Writable - OK
/data/pages/
0755 Writable - OK
/data/other/
0755 Writable - OK
/data/other/logs/
0705 Not Writable - Error!
/data/thumbs/
0755 Writable - OK
/data/uploads/
0755 Writable - OK
/data/users/
0755 Writable - OK
/data/cache/
0755 Writable - OK
/backups/zip/
0755 Writable - OK
/backups/pages/
0755 Writable - OK
/backups/other/
0755 Writable - OK
/backups/users/
0705 Not Writable - Error!

When checking the folder permissions via FTP & the back office of the actual account on the server, all folder permissions were correctly set (i.e 0755) yet the script flagged the above.

How do I fix that? And is this the issue that is causing the problem of plugins not appearing in the pugins tab?
To fix the problem you must also check the ownership. Your files may have the wrong owner, or Apache, PHP or FTP is running under the wrong user.
Hi Bigin,

Thank you very much for responding.

Do I have to ring my hosting company up and ask them about it or is it something I have to do with my FTP program? I must admit I have never come across this problem before and am a bit lost as to how to resolve this and where I need to go to do something.

"Your files may have the wrong owner, or Apache, PHP or FTP is running under the wrong user."

I am not even sure how this would happen or even why. 
Via Filezilla I looked at the permissions of the folders of the plugins that were showing up in the plugins tab, made note of the checkboxes that were checked and then did the same with the two plugin file and folder permissions. Still not showing up. I even cleared my browser's cache. Still not showing up.

I checked the permissions of the files inside the problematic plugin folders and made sure the permissions matched those of the files in the plugin folders that are working or showing up in the plugins folder.

Still nothing. I also edited the xml files and added the two plugins there. Still nothing.
This has been resolved by myself.

What had happened was that for some reason there was a restoration done on the site and a folder was created for this restoration with the site folder inside that. Then the server redirected all browser requests to this new folder. So I thought I was working with the original folder which was in a separate location. So anything I uploaded 'didn't work' because the folder I was working with was the wrong one.

I discovered this when I tried to figure out what was wrong with the installation by uploading the CMS to my Matrixfiles site. Everything worked with the plugins showing up in the admin area of the installation. So I deleted the cms folder from the Forensic Nurse website which is when I discovered that it was still showing up in my browser (after emptying the cache). Obviously it shouldn't have which is when I found that the restoration folder was being used as the 'live' folder. I rang up the hosting company and they corrected that and now everything works as it should.

I am a bit pissed that no-one apart from Bigin even bothered to help. I had to go to another forum entirely to get any assitance, even though I figured it out by myself. The other forum (codingforum.net) was more helpful.
Quote:I am a bit pissed that no-one apart from Bigin even bothered to help. I had to go to another forum entirely
to get any assitance, even though I figured it out by myself. The other forum (codingforum.net) was more helpful.

Hi,
Credits go to Bigin, but there is really no need to be pissed. Either you get help or you don't.
There is no guarantee. That is simply not personally but only technically. Let's keep on sharing
our contributions and code to keep the GS diamond shining.