Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.htaccess
Just a quick question... if I'm using a subdirectory to do the install, will the .htaccess be put in the subdirectory?
Reason I'm asking is I already have an htaccess for my 'root' and I don't want to change it.
Do I need .htaccess at all if I do not want to use 'shorter' URLs? I think I read somewhere is you don't need to use the htaccess.

Thanks in advance...
I think you meant sub domain not sub directory

If so you will need the .htaccess file and it won't affect your root .htaccess.

But you do have to have the htaccess file.

Bob

akeane Wrote:Just a quick question... if I'm using a subdirectory to do the install, will the .htaccess be put in the subdirectory?
Reason I'm asking is I already have an htaccess for my 'root' and I don't want to change it.
Do I need .htaccess at all if I do not want to use 'shorter' URLs? I think I read somewhere is you don't need to use the htaccess.

Thanks in advance...
No I meant subdirectory.

My understanding is that you can put htaccess into other than the root directory and it will apply to that subdirectory and any directories lower.

I thought the htaccess was only for 'short urls'?

Truth is I have not unzipped Get-Simple yet to have a look at .htaccess... maybe I best do that before I continue the discussion.
akeane Wrote:My understanding is that you can put htaccess into other than the root directory and it will apply to that subdirectory and any directories lower.
That's right. (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/h...s.html#how)

The .htaccess is also needed to prevent direct access to the xml files. So you want the .htaccess file, because it's protecting your data. (eg login info)
akeane Wrote:Just a quick question... if I'm using a subdirectory to do the install, will the .htaccess be put in the subdirectory?
Yes, it will. GS will remain independent of the website root, but don't forget that your root .htaccess will also apply to the GS subdirectory.
--
Nick.