Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Multi User 1.4' Plugin
Hello,

Nice work, very useful but.. it doesn't work at my end: if i set the "Pages" as default it just gets stuck in a loop, if i set it to "Edit" i get You Do Not Have Permissions To Access This Page.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
skiner Wrote:Hello,

Nice work, very useful but.. it doesn't work at my end: if i set the "Pages" as default it just gets stuck in a loop, if i set it to "Edit" i get You Do Not Have Permissions To Access This Page.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

If you set "pages" to be blocked, then you will need to set an alternate starting page.
If you choose "edit" as the default starting, and "edit" is blocked, you will get the message you stated above.
Hello,

You are right, I had no sleep for 2 days now and I understood it backwards I thought those are the sections the user has access to. But how about deleting users (I have too many because of all the test)?

Thank you for you time and dedication.
skiner Wrote:Hello,

You are right, I had no sleep for 2 days now and I understood it backwards I thought those are the sections the user has access to. But how about deleting users (I have too many because of all the test)?

Thank you for you time and dedication.

For now you'll have to manually delete the un-wanted xml files. They are located in '/data/users/' and are named after the username.

I will add the ability to delete hopefully tomorrow, but if not by the end of this week.
If anyone has any requests to add to this plugin, let me know.
mikeh Wrote:If anyone has any requests to add to this plugin, let me know.

Well, since you asked for it Wink --- just a FYI - i think the functionality is dead on, i just think that maybe some of the UI pieces can be improved...

1. When you click 'Edit', instead making that text disappear, allow it to be changed to a 'close' link.
2. If you disable "Pages" () you shouldn't be able to select it from the "Custom Landing Page" dropdown
3. Give the table of users the class "highlight" to give it the row striping look that every other table has in GS
4. Chnage CSS 'cursor' property to 'pointer' when clicking 'Edit'
5. The help "?" link should be disabled by jquery since a click will move the page
6. "Add New User" should be in the top-left of the white area on the page. Look at pages.php to see how it's done. hint: give <h3> a calss of floated
7. None of the checkbox labels are clickable. Normally with a label click, it also clicks it's associated checkbox.
8. Instead of maybe complicating things with a "landing page" dropdown, maybe you should not be able to disable "Pages". In reality since you can now disable 'Edit' - what would the reasoning be to disable 'Pages'?
9. Why do we need to set HTML Editor functionality on this edit/add screen? Isn't this a user preference that should be set by the user?

So take these with a grain of salt as i said before - i think the plugin does exactly as advertised - and does it very well. Thanks Mike
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:

Well, since you asked for it Wink --- just a FYI - i think the functionality is dead on, i just think that maybe some of the UI pieces can be improved...

1. When you click 'Edit', instead making that text disappear, allow it to be changed to a 'close' link.
2. If you disable "Pages" () you shouldn't be able to select it from the "Custom Landing Page" dropdown
3. Give the table of users the class "highlight" to give it the row striping look that every other table has in GS
4. Chnage CSS 'cursor' property to 'pointer' when clicking 'Edit'
5. The help "?" link should be disabled by jquery since a click will move the page
6. "Add New User" should be in the top-left of the white area on the page. Look at pages.php to see how it's done. hint: give <h3> a calss of floated
7. None of the checkbox labels are clickable. Normally with a label click, it also clicks it's associated checkbox.
8. Instead of maybe complicating things with a "landing page" dropdown, maybe you should not be able to disable "Pages". In reality since you can now disable 'Edit' - what would the reasoning be to disable 'Pages'?
9. Why do we need to set HTML Editor functionality on this edit/add screen? Isn't this a user preference that should be set by the user?

So take these with a grain of salt as i said before - i think the plugin does exactly as advertised - and does it very well. Thanks Mike

Thanks Chris!

I will incorporate most of those suggestions with the next update (along with the delete function).
Wow, that was brave!

I don't know if this request really fits in the Multi-User plugin or if it requires wider changes, though it is related.

At the moment, there is the possibility to block the page editing, but only on a user/sitewide basis. Could this be extended to select edit permissions on a per page basis? That is, a page can be marked, for example, 'Admin edit only', where perhaps 'Admin' is any user with access to 'Settings'.

The rationale behind this is to allow a site to be set up with some (more or less static, perhaps) pages that can only be changed by an admin, but still allowing other users to edit unprotected pages.

Although there is some redundancy with 'Pages' and 'Edit' blocking, disallowing editing doesn't prevent, for example, changing the menu order with I18N Navigation.

Other points:
  • Add 'Cancel' button to User Edit view, to return to the collapsed list of users
  • Change 'Edit user' button text to 'Save changes'?
  • When an account entry is expanded for editing, either disable the 'edit' link on unexpanded accounts or collapse previously expanded entries when selecting another account. (It's possible to end up with a long list of accounts opened for editing.)
  • I'd really prefer to see options enabled with a tick, rather than disabled. Just a preference for Deny as default, but there is a message on here somewhere from someone else who expected this functionality.

Multi-user capability is something that I have really been looking forward to and your plugin is doing well with that – thanks very much.
--
Nick.
Man you have gone far and beyond what I had imagined this plugin doing!

What would you think about creating some standard user classes like admin, editor, and webmaster. When these are clicked it would automatically populate the necessary check marks? This would save time when creating multiple users. However you would still want to be able to manually modify the check boxes.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
OWS_Matthew Wrote:Man you have gone far and beyond what I had imagined this plugin doing!

What would you think about creating some standard user classes like admin, editor, and webmaster. When these are clicked it would automatically populate the necessary check marks? This would save time when creating multiple users. However you would still want to be able to manually modify the check boxes.

Thats a great idea, I will try and incorporate something like that.
If you really want to get complex you could just add a settings area where you can creat roles then have a drop down with all the available roles when creating a user.

Does that make sense?
JWH Technologies
OWS_Matthew Wrote:If you really want to get complex you could just add a settings area where you can creat roles then have a drop down with all the available roles when creating a user.

Does that make sense?

Yea, that makes sense.

What do you think would be more practical and easy to use?
I think roles would be used more frequently, although they may be harder to incorporate.
I would much rather see roles then enable/disables.

Another suggestion if it's not already implemented is preparing your plugin for translation. I have a feeling this will be widely requested on the future.
JWH Technologies
i have a strange problem with your plugin,when i add a user,when i try to do login with it, the page doesn't stop loading than i can't use the cms.I have this problem on firefox and opera,i tried your plugin by localhost with xampp
My Site: The Harad's Forge
Do you want a guestbook on pages or on news manager articles?Download my GS plugin: ARGuestbook
Alessio_roma Wrote:i have a strange problem with your plugin,when i add a user,when i try to do login with it, the page doesn't stop loading than i can't use the cms.I have this problem on firefox and opera,i tried your plugin by localhost with xampp

It seems you must have disabled the 'pages' feature.. Once your session is started, try going directly to a differant admin page, for example, edit.php or settings.php
mikeh Wrote:
Alessio_roma Wrote:i have a strange problem with your plugin,when i add a user,when i try to do login with it, the page doesn't stop loading than i can't use the cms.I have this problem on firefox and opera,i tried your plugin by localhost with xampp

It seems you must have disabled the 'pages' feature.. Once your session is started, try going directly to a differant admin page, for example, edit.php or settings.php
thank you,now it works
Do you want a guestbook on pages or on news manager articles?Download my GS plugin: ARGuestbook
mikeh Wrote:

thank you,now it works
I uploaded Version 1.2 to extend today.

Changes:
Version 1.2 (4/21/2011)
  • Added 'Delete User' Link. Deletes the chosen user upon confirmation.
  • Changed 'Edit User' Button To Read as 'Save Changes'.
  • Added 'Hide' button to hide already expanded user details.

I thought I would get the delete user feature included now since I am not sure when I will be finished with version 1.3
Works as advertised. Fantastic plugin Smile

(Only thing is that it still says 'Edit User' instead of 'Save Changes', but that doesn't mean anything substantial in the slightest Tongue)
FYI - When you go to edit a user in IE9, the browser locks up. Works fine in FF4.
patriotmedia Wrote:FYI - When you go to edit a user in IE9, the browser locks up. Works fine in FF4.

What do you mean by 'Locks up'?
mikeh Wrote:
patriotmedia Wrote:FYI - When you go to edit a user in IE9, the browser locks up. Works fine in FF4.

What do you by 'Locks up'?

The IE9 browser freezes. After clicking on any "edit" in the list, it doesn't open any edit functions, and at the same time it freezes all other links inside the web page. You have have to go up and hit any of the browser buttons (stop, back, refresh) to regain control of the page/site/browser window. If you let it sit and not do anything, it pulls up the IE9 "[website url] is not responding" yellow window.

It happens 100% of the time but the "edit" works fine 100% of the time in FF, so I've ruled out my server. I don't have IE8 readily available to test, so can't say if it's just 9 or all of the IE family.
patriotmedia Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:

The IE9 browser freezes. After clicking on any "edit" in the list, it doesn't open any edit functions, and at the same time it freezes all other links inside the web page. You have have to go up and hit any of the browser buttons (stop, back, refresh) to regain control of the page/site/browser window. If you let it sit and not do anything, it pulls up the IE9 "[website url] is not responding" yellow window.

It happens 100% of the time but the "edit" works fine 100% of the time in FF, so I've ruled out my server. I don't have IE8 readily available to test, so can't say if it's just 9 or all of the IE family.

Thanks for letting me know, I will look into this today
patriotmedia Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:

Thanks for letting me know, I will look into this today
Version 1.2

This plugin just doesn't like me ...

Users which I created were not allowed to log in in Firefox, I had to clear the cache many times, delete the user, re-create the user until FF lets me in

in IE 8 no problem ...

so there must be a problem with the cache, or some delayed writing...

For example, I created login for Thorsten, he couldn't log in (totally other computer with other browser cache)
he logged in as "Standard User" and changed password etc. and now he can log in

not so nice, as I say, it does not like me ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18