Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using GETSIMPLE on existing website
Hi guys,

I've recently been asked if I'd be able to add an admin panel to a website that I built months ago for a client. I'm not 100% on anything I do if I'm honest, and most of my knowledge comes from trial and error or extensive google trawling.

The website in question has alot of content and is build in PHP but does not have a MySQL database.

Is it possible to use Getsimple on this website without rebuilding it all?

Thanks for being patient guys lol

RT
Basically there's nothing against using GS.
It all depends on functionality of currently existing system.
Although there are plugins for GS, those might not be enough.
Some things in theme would have to be programmed manually.

You didn't mention what exactly you require from a CMS, so I can't tell you if GS will fulfill all needs.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Thanks for the reply, yojoe!

I'm looking for something simple to install and more over, simple for users to..well...use. Basically, I've created a website for a charity organisation in my area, but now, a month later, they would like to have more control over the content. They've asked for some sort of admin panel that will allow them to modify parts of their site; news links, updates on events or adding/removing links to various events.

Thanks!

RT
roguetide Wrote:Thanks for the reply, yojoe!

I'm looking for something simple to install and more over, simple for users to..well...use. Basically, I've created a website for a charity organisation in my area, but now, a month later, they would like to have more control over the content. They've asked for some sort of admin panel that will allow them to modify parts of their site; news links, updates on events or adding/removing links to various events.

Thanks!

RT
it totally depends on how you thingk GetSimple's backend will work for your site, but from the sounds of it - GS will definitely be able to handle your requirements. have you tested us out yet?
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
roguetide Wrote:Thanks for the reply, yojoe!

Thanks!

RT

Just like CC said. GS is a truly simple content management system, and after you listed requirements it should be able to fulfill the needs.
Plugins you will definitely need:
- news manager
- mvlacek's i18n custom fields - although you might be fine with using contentboxes functionality, but it depends if guys from the charity org will get familiar with copy->pasting some texts
- gallery plugin <- as we love galleries Smile
- freshly created plugin for managing users

Theme will surely need some customizing, as if you want to make the management a bit easier and automatize it as possible, you will have to embed certain page's content in dedicated content container.
To be more specific: if you want to allow editing a small content box with a wysiwyg editor, let's say it's a "did you know that.." you can achieve it in 3 different ways
1. by using contentboxes - but they do not offer wysiwyg editor, so they basically offer only plain text editing
2. creating a page without adding it to menu. You will have to include this page's content in template manually. You can find howto's and even plugins for this solution Smile
3. using above mentioned customfields plugin

uhh, that's quite a long reply.
Just install a test instance of GS, play with it a bit and read GS wiki Wink
Many thanks to you both! I'm always sceptical about trying new plugins for my websites because I'm am all too aware of the time and effort I put into them all, but knowing that I can use GS safely on a site I already have established is good news! Thanks again, I'll keep you updated after the weekend!

RT
Hi guys, thanks again for your help!

I'm currently playing with GS and I love it! However, I'm playing with it from a fresh GS install and I'm wondering how I could now incorporate this install into my existing website?

Is it a case of dropping all files and folders into my current website and tweaking some files? Can anyone help with this?

Cheers again!

RT
roguetide Wrote:(...) I'm playing with it from a fresh GS install and I'm wondering how I could now incorporate this install into my existing website? Is it a case of dropping all files and folders into my current website and tweaking some files? Can anyone help with this?
Not 100% sure I'm getting you, but there probably is work ahead of you if you want to make the transition to GS. GS won't be able to pick up your old files and convert them to the needed XML pages. I actually don't know any CMS which will do that unless you're upgrading from an earlier version of the same CMS and structure or data has changed.

It sounds like you will have to rebuild the site in GS like adding pages, filling them with (the old files') content, tweaking the theme, CSS, ... Throwing in GS and tweaking a file here and there won't do, sorry. The wiki gives info on how to create themes and stuff, you should check it out.

You can always ask questions if you run into problems! Smile
Thanks for your reply!

That's pretty much what I thought. I'll have to ask my client if they'd be willing to accept a site design change, because I really do like GS. Is anyone aware of a solution for an existing site though? Very simple, I only need specific pages to be user editable, and even then it'd only be a simple text/img switch.

RT
Try this solution http://www.brandonchecketts.com/archives...simple-cms
It was meant for GS 2.03 but it should work with 3.0 as well.

Otherwise you will have to create xml files manually (create a test page as a pattern, and paste there page's content in html from old site), or create pages manually, and then copy->paste html source code between both CMS-es.
yojoe Wrote:Try this solution http://www.brandonchecketts.com/archives...simple-cms
It was meant for GS 2.03 but it should work with 3.0 as well.

Otherwise you will have to create xml files manually (create a test page as a pattern, and paste there page's content in html from old site), or create pages manually, and then copy->paste html source code between both CMS-es.

This is probably what I'll be doing then. I'll push on and try to get an admin panel on my existing site, but if this fails I'll just get on cushycms for now.

On another note, I've started working with a new client using GS from the off and whoa is it a great bit of kit!