Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertical menus
I'm partial to vertical menus for the obvious reason that you can an unlimited number of link in the menu, while horizontal menus are quite limited.

Am I wrong or do I see only one them that has a vertical menu, and that's the original Simpletheme?

If there's another theme with a vertical menu let me know. Thanks.

Don
dondemaio Wrote:I'm partial to vertical menus for the obvious reason that you can an unlimited number of link in the menu, while horizontal menus are quite limited.

Am I wrong or do I see only one them that has a vertical menu, and that's the original Simpletheme?

Don

Don,

you are right that there are only few templates with vertical menues
but it is up to you to move the menu from the horizontal region to a sidebar
it's easy with I18n-menu tags
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Hi, Connie. Thanks for helping. Can you give me any further information on how to convert a horizontal menu to a vertical? I'm sure lots of other users would benefit from your help.

-Don

(2011-04-23, 15:56:39)Connie Wrote:
dondemaio Wrote:I'm partial to vertical menus for the obvious reason that you can an unlimited number of link in the menu, while horizontal menus are quite limited.

Don

Don,

you are right that there are only few templates with vertical menues
but it is up to you to move the menu from the horizontal region to a sidebar
it's easy with I18n-menu tags
I think any theme with a sidebar can be used for a side menu.

Not sure what you mean a vertical menu ?
Where ?

A menu is just a list, you can output it anywhere and it will be styled where its at.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Don't know why designers prefer horizontal.

Looking through extend, themes with vertical sidebar type menus are below:

Unbound (has both, delete one).
SimpleMin640
Lamp Theme
Citywide
Beach Theme
andreas00
Flower
Brown Stone
Single-page-portfolio
Doc Template
Snail
StrangeGreen

[edit]
woops , just seen I am replying to a very old post. No wonder he couldn't find the themes. doh! [/edit]
But back on topic, yes Shawn is right the menu/nav bar is just a list but normally styled differently to other lists. So if you want to move a horizontal nav bar into the sidebar you would go to the template (template.php), find something like
<ul id="nav">
<?php get_navigation(return_page_slug()); ?>
</ul>
and just move it into the sidebar, but you will then have to edit the css with a little care to get it to display correctly. Start by deleting the 'float' declaration which makes the list horizontal to get a vertical list. It will be something like
#nav li {float:left;}