Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAQ Plugin
This plugin allows you to define Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), where answers are only shown after you click on the question.

For an example see here.

Installation

Download from http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/faq/159/ and unzip to your plugins directory.
You have to include jQuery 1.4+ in the head of your template and call <?php get_header(); ?> (after the jQuery include).

Version 1.0: _faq autoclose

Usage

Create a page, enter your questions as headers (h1, h2, ...) and your answers as anything else and give the page a tag _faq. Use _faq autoclose to automatically close questions.
You can structure your questions by using different levels of headers.

Customization

Add custom styles to your style sheet (FAQ page are wrapped in a div.faq-wrapper) and/or upload two images faq_open.jpg and faq_closed.jpg to your data/uploads directory.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I am really sucks!
I cannot run this plugin, yet here I seem to be simple to use.
Do you have a tutorial step by step "for dummies like me?
thanks, great plugin, it works
http://www.chaga-mushroom.com/faq/
jlm Wrote:I am really sucks!

I just saw that I forgot to add that you need jQuery 1.4+ included in your template. Otherwise it's just as described.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
jlm Wrote:I am really sucks!

Another possible pitfall: make sure you call get_headers() in your template and that the call is positioned AFTER the include of jQuery, best at the end of the HTML header.
jlm Wrote:I can not run the plugin (even on a basic install) - I'm really bad or something I'm missing!
Can you install it?
I put the Pugin at this address http://getsimple.net63.net

for I see how to proceed.
thank you

Jim, you should never never publish any data
if you need so bitterly assistance, send personal message to a forum member etc.
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie Wrote:
jlm Wrote:I can not run the plugin (even on a basic install) - I'm really bad or something I'm missing!
Can you install it?
I put the Pugin at this address http://getsimple.net63.net

for I see how to proceed.
thank you

Jim, you should never never publish any data
if you need so bitterly assistance, send personal message to a forum member etc.

I apologize for this error. I am a French and my English is a small level. I gave the username and password for this installation because it is not a production site. This is a test site. Too bad ....
I just did a complete reinstallation and the plugin works perfectly. Thank you for this plugin that will be very useful.
I did some tests with different uses (integrated image, iframe googlemap)
good day
Just a couple of observations:

- Degrades nicely to showing all if JavaScript is disabled – thanks!

- Would it be possible to have an expanded section/question collapse when another one is opened? At the moment, the page length can grow considerably and newly expanded parts are more likely to be off the current view.
--
Nick.
hameau Wrote:- Would it be possible to have an expanded section/question collapse when another one is opened? At the moment, the page length can grow considerably and newly expanded parts are more likely to be off the current view.

See version 1.0 - use tag _faq autoclose.
Thanks, mvlcek. It is a good plug-in. For me works http://gsimple.ru/faq/
The faq Plugin doesn´t work with me, what am I doing wrong?

I created a new Page and typed the following:

Quote:Question 1 (formatted as header 1)
answer1
Question 2 (formatted as header 1)
answer2

(% _faq %)

it didnt work , then I tried

Quote:(% _faq %)
Question 1 (formatted as header 1)
answer1
Question 2 (formatted as header 1)
answer2

I also made sure that jquery was included well in the template
(I tried the newest, and 1.4.3) and I made sure that
<?php get_header(); ?> was called in the template and
I made sure that <?php get_header(); ?> was called after the inclusion of jquery.

I tried with 2 different Installations on Windows and Linux and I tried
with 1.0 and 0.9 Version of the plugin.

Did I use the tags right?
Niedes Wrote:The faq Plugin doesn´t work with me, what am I doing wrong?

You need to enter _faq in the Tags & Keywords field, not in the content.
mvlcek Wrote:You need to enter _faq in the Tags & Keywords field, not in the content.

lol now its working fine, thank you for the quick reply! :-)
thanks very much for plugin.

but what to do with search?i use your search plugin.

when i search site, and search result in the faq page.

it will be good if i click on search result and all faq chapters are opening automatically, where search result is been.
i also use faqautoclose tag.
mus.aqeel Wrote:thanks very much for plugin.

but what to do with search?i use your search plugin.

when i search site, and search result in the faq page.

it will be good if i click on search result and all faq chapters are opening automatically, where search result is been.
i also use faqautoclose tag.

That's a great idea!
I'll try to implement a solution...
FAQ version 1.1:
  • automatically opens all relevant questions/answers, when called from I18N Search results, Google or Bing (@mus.aqeel). You need to have I18N Search version 2.9 or later installed and "mark search terms" must be switched on in the search settings.
mvlcek Wrote:FAQ version 1.1:
  • automatically opens all relevant questions/answers, when called from I18N Search results, Google or Bing (@mus.aqeel). You need to have I18N Search version 2.9 or later installed and "mark search terms" must be switched on in the search settings.
thank you very much for your efforts.
i updated faq and search plugins. mark search terms is switched on by default. but not works.
what can be the problem? is it work for pages with faqautoclose tag?

I have one more question. Can we add text after/between faq items? If not, it will be good to write something which says that it is not faq items to display it normally. for example by adding opening and closing tags.
+faq1
+faq2
(start text)text....(finish text)
+faq3
mus.aqeel Wrote:i updated faq and search plugins. mark search terms is switched on by default. but not works.
what can be the problem? is it work for pages with faqautoclose tag?
If it is switched on by default, it's an error.
Save the settings then it should be ok.

mus.aqeel Wrote:I have one more question. Can we add text after/between faq items? If not, it will be good to write something which says that it is not faq items to display it normally. for example by adding opening and closing tags.
+faq1
+faq2
(start text)text....(finish text)
+faq3

As the FAQ page should look nice, too, without Javascript, I don't like this approach.
Adding a class nofaq to the non-faq paragraphs might be a solution, but this would require either HTML code editing or a customized CKEditor setup.

I don't really see a need for this feature, as you can add a few paragraphs above the questions and you can have multiple FAQ pages.
the link in the admin-> plugins for faq plugin configured to another faq manager
Quote:Save the settings then it should be ok.

i did the following:
added to css span.mark { background-color: yellow; }

replaced <?php get_page_title(); ?> with: <?php echo i18n_search_mark(return_page_title()); ?>

saved satting for search plugin with Mark search terms on pages swtched on.

but terms are not marked, FAQ plugin (version 1.1+) do not automatically open all questions/answers containing the search terms.

Why?
mus.aqeel Wrote:but terms are not marked, FAQ plugin (version 1.1+) do not automatically open all questions/answers containing the search terms.

Why?

Do you get Javascript errors? Do you have a link to your site?
Quote:Do you get Javascript errors? Do you have a link to your site?
no, i do not have errors.
i will send link by PM.
mus.aqeel Wrote:
Quote:Do you get Javascript errors? Do you have a link to your site?
no, i do not have errors.
i will send link by PM.

It's an interesting problem:
You are not using fancy URLs, so there is a parameter id=search in the URL.
Because of this the search form uses a POST instead of GET.
Thus the referer of the found page is just ...?id=search and does not contain the search words.
Thus the FAQ page does not know which words where searched for.

Currently the only solution is to switch on fancy URLs.
mvlcek Wrote:Currently the only solution is to switch on fancy URLs.

Thank you very much, now everything works.
This upgrade of plugin is excellent.