Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead?
Has development stepped in Getsimple?
There have been no updates for a long time.
There is still a lot going on behind the scenes. I am porting get-simple plugins to php7 and php8
I am doing penetration tests for those who have questions about security
For one week i created 3 plugins. Nice dead
This is the reason I am asking is the last release is in 2019.

I am asking if it will be update if new security updates will be made if there are exploits discovered.
(2022-09-18, 07:01:15)johneh Wrote: This is the reason I am asking is the last release is in 2019.

I am asking if it will be update if new security updates will be made if there are exploits discovered.

Hello Johneh,
Yes, updates are few and far between, as seen by the release history, but plugins are still actively being developed and if there are any security issues reported, they are addressed, as far as I know. As of the latest stable release, there have been no real exploits or security issues. The community isnt as active as it once was, but there are still quite a few that depend on GS as their CMS site solution, so, although it may take more time to get an answer, there is usually one in the works, eventually.
I hope this helps.

GS Community Edition with php8.x compatibility, new features and much more!  Support Me

Thank you islander.
if something specific is needed make an issue on github, so people can fork and patch or maybe its fixed in 3.4 , at least i will see it
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
One thing that is needed is PHP8 support.
Hello @sremick, although GS itself has not been updated to support this, you can find a small patch here:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=16548

Two people have been kind enough to provide this solution. If you find anything else that needs updating, post it and I am sure someone can help out.

GS Community Edition with php8.x compatibility, new features and much more!  Support Me

(2022-09-26, 06:58:59)islander Wrote: Hello @sremick, although GS itself has not been updated to support this, you can find a small patch here:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=16548

Two people have been kind enough to provide this solution. If you find anything else that needs updating, post it and I am sure someone can help out.

Looking at that thread as a "solution" makes me uneasy... it's an organic discussion, with multiple people posting multiple files throughout the thread, with updates and later edits and then the first post updated but then subsequent posts with files from other people past that point. I don't come away with a solid set of files I'd confidently consider "a solution".

It's also unclear whether, even if one could safely untangle all the content of that thread into a final "solution", whether any of my add-ons would also need updates.

The biggest take-away from that thread is that PHP 7.4 reaches EOL this November. For godsakes, that reason alone emphasizes the need for an official PHP8-compatible update ASAP.
(2022-09-27, 06:11:22)sremick Wrote: Looking at that thread as a "solution" makes me uneasy... it's an organic discussion, with multiple people posting multiple files throughout the thread, with updates and later edits and then the first post updated but then subsequent posts with files from other people past that point. I don't come away with a solid set of files I'd confidently consider "a solution".

It's also unclear whether, even if one could safely untangle all the content of that thread into a final "solution", whether any of my add-ons would also need updates.

The biggest take-away from that thread is that PHP 7.4 reaches EOL this November. For godsakes, that reason alone emphasizes the need for an official PHP8-compatible update ASAP.

Yes, this should be addressed. But, for the moment this is what is available. In that post, yes, there is a discussion, and some back and forth, but it is a few programmers asking why, thats all. There are two .zip packages in the post. I have done a file compare to see what was different between them.

This post contains all fixes from the earlier one, plus a few GS bug fixes that have been overlooked. And it explains fairly clearly.

I am no longer much of a programmer these days, so I can only try to help with pointing you in that direction.

I dont believe that servers are going to start deleting  7.x anytime soon, so there is some wiggle room.

As far as plugins go, these are provided by many authors, unlike GS, so I would test and report to their thread if any problems are found.

Hope this helps.