Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum login changes?
ccagle8 Wrote:... hopefully we dont see much more spam because of it....
But there isn't a lot of spambot action here anyway and they're very easy to spot with the naked eye.
hameau Wrote:... 3.771 [registed users] here ...
Less than 24 hours later, there are 3.793.

So, what are the benefits, as a spammer, of registering here ? That's the key to the problem, imo. Remove the spammer benefits and – over time – the number of spammer registrations will fall.

It seems to me that the main thing is that there are no restrictions at all on editing posts. I'd suggest starting with locking that down, with a time limit (say, 15 minutes) for quick corrections only. At least that would mean that spam posts, if they're not immediately identified as such, can't mutate later.

Perhaps also removing the ability to include active external links in posts and signatures, though I can imagine that might be less popular. (Still allow links to be written, of course, but nothing to provide backlinks.) Someone else also mentioned adding a 'nofollow' tag to links, which seems worth a try.

I'm sure that there is no instant, guaranteed cure, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it, but that doesn't mean it's not controllable.
--
Nick.
hameau Wrote:a time limit (say, 15 minutes) for quick corrections only.
I whole-heartedly agree with Nick on that. I'd even, as an addition, remove signatures from posts alltogether.

hameau Wrote:Someone else also mentioned adding a 'nofollow' tag to links, which seems worth a try.
Yeah, that should remove any Page Rank gifts from this site.
all links on the forum are now no-follow. im working thru other problems now...
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ok, i also am requiring all registrations to be approved by a moderator first. I guess we will have to profile people coming in, but at this point, we are getting more spammers than real registrations, so maybe this is just a stop gap for the time being.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
There will probably be no quick fix, just a gradual decline of spammer registrations as it becomes less attractive to them.

One other point, have a look at the Statcounter '(Recent) Came From' data. Is there any particular Google search term that's being used ? Any obvious source of links ? If so, it may be possible to make minor changes to something that marks this site as a good target.

Other than that, crack the moderating whip and wait for things to settle down.
--
Nick.