Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROBLEM changedata fails with http500 after php update to 8.x
Hi,

I am experiencing http error 500 for all admin changedata calls after provider host europe updated pgp from 7.4 to 8.0 (8.1)

There is no message in the error log, only the 500 in access.

Last change in DATA was in October, nobody touched anything.

file permissions look good.

I diff'ed the last backup from Oct with the current production:

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/de.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/de.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/en.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/en.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/es.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/es.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/fr.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/fr.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/it.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/it.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/nl.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/nl.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pl.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pl.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pt.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pt.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/ru.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/ru.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/sv.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/sv.js differ
Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor.css differ
Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_gecko.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_gecko.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie7.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie7.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie8.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie8.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_iequirks.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_iequirks.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/jquery-ui.min.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/jquery-ui.min.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/jquery.min.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/jquery.min.js differ

When I check these files, UTF errors occur.

I have no idea what's up. Ghosts don't exist. Only daemons.

br
(2022-12-01, 22:39:10)bonaventure Wrote: Hi,

I am experiencing http error 500 for all admin changedata calls after provider host europe updated pgp from 7.4 to 8.0 (8.1)

There is no message in the error log, only the 500 in access.

Last change in DATA was in October, nobody touched anything.

file permissions look good.

I diff'ed the last backup from Oct with the current production:

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/de.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/de.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/en.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/en.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/es.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/es.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/fr.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/fr.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/it.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/it.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/nl.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/nl.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pl.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pl.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pt.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/pt.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/ru.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/ru.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/sv.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/lang/sv.js differ
Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor.css differ
Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_gecko.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_gecko.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie7.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie7.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie8.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_ie8.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_iequirks.css and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/ckeditor/skins/getsimple/editor_iequirks.css differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/jquery-ui.min.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/jquery-ui.min.js differ

Files 20221012/admin/template/js/jquery.min.js and 20221201 Error/admin/template/js/jquery.min.js differ

When I check these files, UTF errors occur.

I have no idea what's up. Ghosts don't exist. Only daemons.

br

Thats definitely a bummer!

And those are odd files to get a diff from. Did you see what the diffs are?

Regardless, past versions of GS will not work past php7.4.
So my recommendation would be to overwrite changed files with good ones.
Look at uploads folder for any strange files.

Then upgrade to the new "Community Edition" which supports 8.x
If you are on 8.1, you may want to opt for v2

Hope this helps

GS Community Edition with php8.x compatibility, new features and much more!  Support Me

(2022-12-02, 09:14:54)islander Wrote: Thats definitely a bummer!

And those are odd files to get a diff from. Did you see what the diffs are?

Regardless, past versions of GS will not work past php7.4.
So my recommendation would be to overwrite changed files with good ones.
Look at uploads folder for any strange files.

Then upgrade to the new "Community Edition" which supports 8.x
If you are on 8.1, you may want to opt for v2

Hope this helps

what you are saying is that I should upgrade to 3.3.16CE2

CE and CE2 seem to be nonfunc changes only on php 8 syntax,
both containing some functional enhancements and bug fixes, as I see from diff :-p

could you pls elaborate on what you plan to be the dev roadmap? Will it diverge like MODX into 2 projects?

Whats the motivation not to make an official 3.4?
normal way would be to name the "CE" 3.4.0, cause it contains bugfixes and new functions
and CE2  3.5 or maybe 3.4.1 cause it adapts "arrays" to new syntax.
BTW the main contributors shouldnt fork ... this makes feel me bad about the future of this thingie.

regarding the diffs: I dont have time to investigate this in detail - as the files are minified it's PIT* to read that code,
I suspect this might have nothing to do with the error, but is a reliq of the student who "maintained" this before.
I'll just upgrade with CE2 now and we'll see what happens.

thx + br
(2022-12-02, 19:55:04)bonaventure Wrote: CE and CE2 seem to be nonfunc changes only on php 8 syntax,
both containing some functional enhancements and bug fixes, as I see from diff :-p

could you pls elaborate on what you plan to be the dev roadmap? Will it diverge like MODX into 2 projects?

Whats the motivation not to make an official 3.4?
normal way would be to name the "CE" 3.4.0, cause it contains bugfixes and new functions
and CE2  3.5 or maybe 3.4.1 cause it adapts "arrays" to new syntax.
BTW the main contributors shouldnt fork ... this makes feel me bad about the future of this thingie.

At the moment, it is not possible to make this CE branch official because of how the site is managed.
I do not know if it is due to the admins lack of time, access to hosting, or other.
With many people being forced to upgrade to 8.x and no official fix, this was put into place just to keep peoples sites alive and hopefully the project going.
Weather it goes the ModX way or not is still up in the air, but there is a good possibility.
There has are already been a 3.3.17 & 3.4 in the pipeline for a very long time, but it has been left untouched, as far as I can see. A few years I think.
So until the site devs start making official updates, this is the only fix for the time being.
And none of this is being done to create waves in the community, on the contrary, attempting to keep it alive.

GS Community Edition with php8.x compatibility, new features and much more!  Support Me

Quote:With many people being forced to upgrade to 8.x ........

I am reading this statement in different posts in the forum. I don't know where this statement
is coming from but it has no relationship with reality.
There are millions of apps and websites out there on the internet that simply were not made for php8
and still need to stay functional. Hosting Companies do know this very well and therefore
let you choose the php version as a service that is needed for an app or website to work.
Just go into your hostings cpanel and have a look for your self. And please don't come with the story
that it is needed for security reasons because any Hosting Company is running an app or website
in a virtual environment that is protecting the environment and network from the Hosting Company.
And please don't come with the story that your Hosting Company does not let you choose the php
version as a service. That does not exist and if it does ... you are simply not paying for that service.
Sorry if this aggravates you Felix. This was not my intention.

My server is using cPanel and allows me to go as far back as 5.6, I think. But by default it is set to 7.4.
I do know that not everyone is using cPanel. And I cant really assume everyone's personal financial situation, technical experience or abilities.

But, as there has been a request for compatibility with newer versions of PHP, some community members have graciously offered their time and know how to provide a solution for this. Just like with plugin.

Nobody is being forced or even requested to move to 8.x or the CE version. It is just a solution for those who need it.

I am sure there are some people that are still using Windows XP. If it works for them, great. But this is supposed to be a community to help each other, not get made if someone wants to use a different version. That would be like arguing that I dont find a plugin useful so it shouldnt exist. If it works for them, great. If they dont want to use it, great.

I dont comment to start problems or make assumptions. Just trying to help and give positive feedback. I want to see the community prosper, not scare users away with bickering or taking a thread off topic.

@bonaventure stated his server was changed to 8.1 and I was only trying to provide a possible solution. Please dont get angry.

(2022-12-02, 21:03:34)Felix Wrote:

I am reading this statement in different posts in the forum. I don't know where this statement
There are millions of apps and websites out there on the internet that simply were not made for php8
and still need to stay functional. Hosting Companies do know this very well and therefore
let you choose the php version as a service that is needed for an app or website to work.
Just go into your hostings cpanel and have a look for your self. And please don't come with the story
that it is needed for security reasons because any Hosting Company is running an app or website
in a virtual environment that is protecting the environment and network from the Hosting Company.
And please don't come with the story that your Hosting Company does not let you choose the php
version as a service. That does not exist and if it does ... you are simply not paying for that service.

Host Europe takes php versions off when these reach EOL. This took place yesterday.
HE's hotline is experiencing pain now :-D, but it's up to them to decide their policies, so I have to love it or leave it.
all-inkl and Hetzner still offer 5.6, 7.0-7.4 in addition to 8.*.

So I have 3 Options
- Switch to WP, MODX etc (this means use a week for the theme and another for the content IF I AM QUICK, which is 5K,-)
- Move the site to the other provider (this means use only a little money, cause it's no MY domain I am working on)
- Get an 8.* compatible update of gs (costs me an hour and some sweat :-p)

That's MY reality.
What are you talking about? Php 8 was created for a reason, it gets the job done faster and is better for site security.

I do not want to compete with the original creators, I do everything so that get simple can continue to exist in a form worthy of 2022. As Islander says, it's a free choice. If someone wants to continue using the official 3.3.16, it's not a problem. Shawn added support for php 8 in version 3.4 beta and translated some plugins to the new requirements.

We In the second version, we plan to add a default bootrap theme, additional options already included in MassiveAdmin and a responsive theme from the beginning of the installation. Please stop pretending that what this scene looks like now suits you, because we need new users, unfortunately I still think that in this form it is not so obvious.

If one of the creators of the original get simple tells me that we have to stop developing CE, I will do it as soon as possible - ofc i never told CE version is my, always i say original is getsimple cms and link to website.

I released many plugins that you use every day with joy for free. So don't I deserve at least a little trust in my work?

P.S. nazwa.pl in my country is a leading hosting provider, for support of older applications < php 8 requires additional costs. Shall I say that I made you a site on an old app and you have to pay extra money to this hosting?

Best regards
Multicolor
(2022-12-02, 21:03:34)Felix Wrote:

let you choose the php version as a service ...

My hosting provider (one.com), gave a few weeks advance notice that 8.x was coming and would supersede 7.4.2.
2 months ago, they switched to 8.x, making many people's site inoperational, but they left the option to switch back to 7.4.2 from their control panel. Then, on Dec 1st, they *removed 7.4.2*.
There was a similar scenario not so long ago, when they switched from 5.x to 7.4.2.
Next year, support for 8.0 will terminate, if I am correct and my hosting provider is now at 8.0.6, with no further php version options.

So please don't you come (your words) claiming that everybody has the option to stay with an old php version.
Unless of course, they change hosting providers. But that's a hassle (fortunately, not so serious for GetSimple users, as GS sites are rather simple to move, but still).
Thanks to the work of MultiColor, Islander, you, and probably many others, it will be possible to adapt and stay php compatible. GSCE seems to run flawlessly indeed under 8.0, but if one makes use of many plugins (and components), that's a different matter. The components I have control over. Not being a power php developer, though, I still managed to get my site mostly working without warnings, even the ones that aren't fatal *yet*, hoping to remain safe for a while from further code-breaking changes in the php "language".

This is not to say it is not good riddance for php to leave behind the old versions. It is just that we are kicked awake and *forced* to deal with it. Just so sad that GS 3.4 hasn't been released yet. I am sure there would be a lot of non-issues if GS3.4 came out.
(2022-12-03, 00:23:50)multicolor Wrote: What are you talking about? Php 8 was created for a reason, it gets the job done faster and is better for site security.

I do not want to compete with the original creators, I do everything so that get simple can continue to exist in a form worthy of 2022. As Islander says, it's a free choice. If someone wants to continue using the official 3.3.16, it's not a problem. Shawn added support for php 8 in version 3.4 beta and translated some plugins to the new requirements.

We In the second version, we plan to add a default bootrap theme, additional options already included in MassiveAdmin and a responsive theme from the beginning of the installation. Please stop pretending that what this scene looks like now suits you, because we need new users, unfortunately I still think that in this form it is not so obvious.

If one of the creators of the original get simple tells me that we have to stop developing CE, I will do it as soon as possible - ofc i never told CE version is my, always i say original is getsimple cms and link to website.

I released many plugins that you use every day with joy for free. So don't I deserve at least a little trust in my work?

P.S. nazwa.pl in my country is a leading hosting provider, for support of older applications < php 8 requires additional costs. Shall I say that I made you a site on an old app and you have to pay extra money to this hosting?

Best regards
Multicolor

I updated with CE2 and your recent admin updates.
Now it works fine again - with php 8.1 . To be honest I dont know why LOL

But, thanks for your effort!

I also installed  the site it at my hoster (all-inkl), and am running in some problem, but I will open another post for this.
br
No problem, if you want find plugins support php 8 -
https://getsimplecms-ce.github.io/
https://getsimplecms-ce-plugins.github.io/