Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOLVED Reading time
I will show the reading time on a blog post.
The first step is strip all the unnecessary characters from the content in the xml-file.
Try it with this code:

Code:
strip_tags(html_entity_decode(get_page_content()));

But it doesn't work.
Someone knows how the content text convert to raw text, so i can put it in a variable.
(2023-02-22, 06:43:55)tuxy Wrote: I will show the reading time on a blog post.
The first step is strip all the unnecessary characters from the content in the xml-file.
Try it with this code:

Code:

But it doesn't work.
Someone knows how the content text convert to raw text, so i can put it in a variable.

In getSimple the get-Functions mostly (and misleadingly) echo something, while the return-Functions return a value that you can store in a variable. E.g. see http://get-simple.info/wiki/themes:template_tags: you should be able to use returnPageContent(return_page_slug()).
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
(2023-02-23, 02:35:59)mvlcek Wrote:
(2023-02-22, 06:43:55)tuxy Wrote: I will show the reading time on a blog post.
Try it with this code:

Code:

But it doesn't work.

In getSimple the get-Functions mostly (and misleadingly) echo something, while the return-Functions return a value that you can store in a variable. E.g. see http://get-simple.info/wiki/themes:template_tags: you should be able to use returnPageContent(return_page_slug()).

Hi mvlcek,

This works perfect, thanks for help me thinking the right direction (omg my english ? )

Here the complete snippet, maybe useful for other GS-users...

Code:
<?php
// ------ READING TIME ------

$rawText = strip_tags( returnPageContent(return_page_slug()) );// convert content to raw text

$wordCount = str_word_count($rawText);// getting the number of words
$minutesToRead = round($wordCount / 200);// getting the number of minutes

if($minutesToRead < 1){// if the time is less than a minute
 $minutes = 'less than a minute reading time';
}else{
  $minutes = $minutesToRead . ' minutes reading time';// saving the time in the variable
}
echo $minutes;
?>