Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extended News Manager version 2.0
I test it on mine local server - working without problems. Check if data/news directory exists. Plugin will try to create it but if not you must do it manually. I upload screenshots. Be more specific about server, OS. I will try to help.
i have several problems with the plugin and have no clue why.

- every time i change the title of the post - it creates new one with the this new title, while the old one remains.
- settings don't want to save the changes I made although there is an information that it has saved succesfully. I just can't change anything...

help? Smile
Quote:- every time i change the title of the post - it creates new one with the this new title, while the old one remains.

will be fixed in version 3.0

Quote:- settings don't want to save the changes I made although there is an information that it has saved succesfully. I just can't change anything...

check

Quote:plugins\extended_news_manager\settings.xml

make it writable chmod 775
Polish news doesn't work either. The file is created but filename is a mess Smile

the problem seems to be with:
Code:
$file_name = urlencode($id);
used for filenames

I just replaced it with
Code:
$file_name = clean_url(to7bit($id, "UTF-8"));
and everything works fine
(it will create clean filenames but without national characters
this is also used when creating directories for upload by the CMS itself)

also the permalink looks like mess with national characters and the above
solution isn't too good because it strips characters from post names

in the future maybe you should use some number ID for permalinks
(and maybe for filenames too)

Smile

EDIT:

i have also replaced this:
Code:
$xml = @new SimpleXMLElement('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><item></item>');
$xml->addChild('title', empty($title) ? '(no title)' : $title);
$xml->addChild('date', $date);
$xml->addChild('content', $content);
$xml->addChild('excerpt', $excerpt);

with this:

Code:
$xml = @new SimpleXMLExtended('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><item></item>');
    $xml->addChild('title')-> addCData($title);
    $xml->addChild('date')-> addCData($date);
    $xml->addChild('content')-> addCData($content);
    $xml->addChild('excerpt')-> addCData($excerpt);

otherwise i get this

Code:
Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 2: parser error : Entity 'oacute' not defined in \admin\inc\basic.php on line 219

because "ó" is converted to &oacute;

and finaly Big Grin
you declare:
Code:
define('RSS_SETTINGS', GSPLUGINPATH . 'extended_news_manager/settings.xml');

and then load the settings with:

Code:
$settings = getXML(RSS_SETTINGS);

but you save it this way:
Code:
XMLsave($xml, RSS_SETTINGS . 'settings.xml');

so the plugin reads each time settings.xml but writes to settings.xmlsettings.xml
thats why settings don't change

i'm no expert on this just reporting Wink
Two problems when placing the plugin directory and launching it:
Code:
Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: File exists in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager.php on line 100

Code:
Warning: opendir(/home/***/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/data/news/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /home/****/domains/prco.****.net/public_html/mc/admin/inc/basic.php on line 198
Unable to open /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/data/news/

EDIT:
The above were fixed by removing the plugin and resetting all the CHMOD's of my site.
But now I get these:

Code:
Warning: file_get_contents(/home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager/settings.xmlsettings.xml) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/admin/inc/basic.php on line 218

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager.php on line 716

And when I try to change the News Settings:

Code:
Notice: Undefined index: external_comments in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager.php on line 620

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::asXML(/home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager/settings.xmlsettings.xml) [simplexmlelement.asxml]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/admin/inc/basic.php on line 234
Unable to update Settings to file.

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager/settings.xmlsettings.xml) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/admin/inc/basic.php on line 218

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager.php on line 716

Notice: Undefined variable: selected_image_link in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/plugins/extended_news_manager.php on line 522
Extended News Manager Settings

And when I try to post a new article:

Code:
Warning: SimpleXMLElement::asXML(/home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/data/news/Marrowin+City.xml) [simplexmlelement.asxml]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/****/domains/****.vpsq.net/public_html/mc/admin/inc/basic.php on line 234
Unable to write news data to file.

And:

Code:

Thanks in advance!
http://Blog.TDT-Alpha.com/
(Website will be replaced soon, with an image database made with GS)
Thank you! very nice plugin.

I prepared myself; Turkish language
When is the version Extended News Manager version 2.5 coming out? I need all the features of 2.5 as mentioned in your first post.
I just tried it for a site I am developing. In view of no tags and no categories I'll give it a miss and move on to Dominion blog or the News and Comments plugin. Extended News Manager doesn't seem to be moving forward.
It's a very nice plugin, but the posts are sorted by title. How can I sort the posts by date? Newest on top/first.

thx!
kitchenlight Wrote:It's a very nice plugin, but the posts are sorted by title. How can I sort the posts by date? Newest on top/first.

thx!

please do not doublepost, I deleted the other post
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Sorry for the doublepost!
I've sorted it out myself by including a timestamp at the beginning of the .xml filename. Not very professional, but it works anyway.
installation problem:
after having installed the extended news manager i tried to create my first news, but i did not succeed. all directories and files relevant for this plugin are set to chmod 775, but still i get this message:

Quote:Unable to write news data to file.

any help would be appreciated.
pigsound Wrote:any help would be appreciated.

Give us the info from the server health check please, you find that in the admin area / support
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie Wrote:
pigsound Wrote:any help would be appreciated.

Give us the info from the server health check please, you find that in the admin area / support

hi connie,

i deleted the plugin for now. i will test the news plugin before i try the extended news manager a 2nd time. many thanks for your reply!
kitchenlight Wrote:Sorry for the doublepost!
I've sorted it out myself by including a timestamp at the beginning of the .xml filename. Not very professional, but it works anyway.

I'm having the same issue! Would you please share your solution?
Or could anyone help me out please?
Thanks in advance!
This solution resolved my issue also. Thanks a lot!!! I'm using characters in portuguese.
v3par Wrote:Polish news doesn't work either. The file is created but filename is a mess Smile

the problem seems to be with:
Code:
$file_name = urlencode($id);
used for filenames

I just replaced it with
Code:
$file_name = clean_url(to7bit($id, "UTF-8"));
and everything works fine
(it will create clean filenames but without national characters
this is also used when creating directories for upload by the CMS itself)

also the permalink looks like mess with national characters and the above
solution isn't too good because it strips characters from post names

in the future maybe you should use some number ID for permalinks
(and maybe for filenames too)

Smile

EDIT:

i have also replaced this:
Code:
$xml = @new SimpleXMLElement('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><item></item>');
$xml->addChild('title', empty($title) ? '(no title)' : $title);
$xml->addChild('date', $date);
$xml->addChild('content', $content);
$xml->addChild('excerpt', $excerpt);

with this:

Code:
$xml = @new SimpleXMLExtended('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><item></item>');
    $xml->addChild('title')-> addCData($title);
    $xml->addChild('date')-> addCData($date);
    $xml->addChild('content')-> addCData($content);
    $xml->addChild('excerpt')-> addCData($excerpt);

otherwise i get this

Code:
Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 2: parser error : Entity 'oacute' not defined in \admin\inc\basic.php on line 219

because "ó" is converted to &oacute;

and finaly Big Grin
you declare:
Code:
define('RSS_SETTINGS', GSPLUGINPATH . 'extended_news_manager/settings.xml');

and then load the settings with:

Code:
$settings = getXML(RSS_SETTINGS);

but you save it this way:
Code:
XMLsave($xml, RSS_SETTINGS . 'settings.xml');

so the plugin reads each time settings.xml but writes to settings.xmlsettings.xml
thats why settings don't change

i'm no expert on this just reporting Wink
Does this plugin still work , is it still supported.

I installed it and I get a ton of errors. It wont save settings, it always complains about external comments.
Its saving data as
settings.xmlsettings.xml

Just wierd stuff.

Not sure if this works well with 3.1
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Hi,
It was bugged, from the posts I read and the problems encountered too...

I modified it, with suggestions and solutions from the posts here,
and added an option to add/delete a timestamp to filename.
If checked, it order the news by date of creation before the display.
If unchecked, it delete the timestamps and don't order from latest to oldest.

Important part :
the usual behaviour was to create a new file if the title was modified.
Now, it rename the file, and add the content.
No more doublons.
You can download it here New Extended-News-Manager (link Download > Download as zip)

I hope bogyvet won't mind I put his code on Gihub, but it seem easier to get the latest files from everywhere.
Thanks for code fixing. I was offline almost for a year (I'm seaman). But I will release soon new version. As soon as I see what I do in last version.
Wos Wrote:Hi,
It was bugged, from the posts I read and the problems encountered too...
I modified it, ...
You can download it here New Extended-News-Manager (link Download > Download as zip)

Uhh, I encoutered same problems as decribed by shawn_a
Copied and installed your version and ... now I have a blank screen, also on /admin/ even with DEBUG on!

~EDIT

There is no closing PHP tag ( ?> ) on the end of 'extended_news_manager.php' but still blank screen
This plugin is not supported anymore try new TIDEngine Blog/News Manager.
(2011-05-11, 04:15:11)bogyvet Wrote: It is possible but you need:
1. some plugin modifications or
2. easy way is to rewrite plugin with other name and change articles path and function names. Create two template files and include two different functions eg.
news_en.php <?php show_articles(2); ?>
news_jp.php <?php show_other_articles(2); ?>

Sorry, could exactly say what I should do with all News_Manager folder:
which functions I should rename, maybe only one or all?