Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page title and page slug and menu title = confusing
One of the most confusing things in a lot of cms's including GS is that there is a menu title which can be different from the page title. Then there's also the page slug/url.

If you create a page these titles are all auto generated and there is also not asked for, hidden away in the page options (I think hiding stuff from the eye is generally not a good idea, especially important ones). Then if you change the Page title, it's like the page title has nothing to do with the other 2 titles, so these don't change. Very confusing for (especially) new users.

I think the slug/url and menu title should be changed (auto generated from page title) by default when you change the page title. It would be nice to be able set this in the settings (but I think it should be defaulted).

you = the user
datiswous Wrote:I think the slug/url and menu title should be changed (auto generated from page title) by default when you change the page title. It would be nice to be able set this in the settings (but I think it should be defaulted).

Definitely not, if the menu text or slug was changed by the user!
But if the old menu text equals the old title and the new menu text equals the old menu text than it probably should be changed, if the title changes.
I wouldn't change the slug, as there could be links to the page or configurations in plugins that would be broken.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
in my opinion, a separate menu text is a good option because by that you have the chance to create long titels which will be shown in the page, but as menues mostly have only restricted place a shorter menu text is a good option

I agree that this option is hidden, but to have the page appear in the menue, you must open the options, so you are at the right place at least when you create a page and want to show it in the menu

I agree that this part of the publishing process is often forgotten when pages are re-edited
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
mvlcek Wrote:
datiswous Wrote:I think the slug/url and menu title should be changed (auto generated from page title) by default when you change the page title. It would be nice to be able set this in the settings (but I think it should be defaulted).

Definitely not, if the menu text or slug was changed by the user!

I cannot agree more!
datiswous Wrote:I think hiding stuff from the eye is generally not a good idea, especially important ones
Things are hidden when they are not required. I think this is a good idea because a lot of people will either use the defaults set for these "hidden" fields or not change them very often. THese fields will stay hidden because giving the user 12 input boxes to change/set right off the bat is more confusing than having them hidden in the first place
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:Things are hidden when they are not required. I think this is a good idea because a lot of people will either use the defaults set for these "hidden" fields or not change them very often. THese fields will stay hidden because giving the user 12 input boxes to change/set right off the bat is more confusing than having them hidden in the first place

For this reason I would also rather see only the delete and edit links (unobtrusive like now instead of icons) and not a lot of (confusing) icons on the pages view (Edit: comment for this topic).
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:For this reason I would also rather see only the delete and edit links (unobtrusive like now instead of icons) and not a lot of (confusing) icons on the pages view.

I'm taking my reply to the other thread in order not to hijack this discussion.
Ok sorry, maybe I was thinking about this in a simplistic way, at least only one direction.

datiswous Wrote:I think hiding stuff from the eye is generally not a good idea, especially important ones
Chris Wrote:Things are hidden when they are not required. I think this is a good idea because a lot of people will either use the defaults set for these "hidden" fields or not change them very often. THese fields will stay hidden because giving the user 12 input boxes to change/set right off the bat is more confusing than having them hidden in the first place

Maybe, but I think these two (slug/url text and menu text) should be more prominent in the edit window...
Chris Wrote:...a lot of people will either use the defaults set for these "hidden" fields or not change them very often...

I was editing a page on my WordPress page and then I found out Wordpress has the ability to configure what options are shown in the edit window. I think this is great becouse then you can choose yourself what is important to have in the main window and don't purely have to rely on what the developer thinks is best.
datiswous Wrote:
Chris Wrote:...a lot of people will either use the defaults set for these "hidden" fields or not change them very often...

I was editing a page on my WordPress page and then I found out Wordpress has the ability to configure what options are shown in the edit window. I think this is great becouse then you can choose yourself what is important to have in the main window and don't purely have to rely on what the developer thinks is best.

Agreed, but i think this may add complexity that isn't really necessary. I think our edit screen is pretty sparse as-is, and WP's edit screen has 20+ items on it.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
I think this is a UX design issue, not a technical one.

One solution to avoid confusion would be to auto fill the default fields when you fill in the title with some javascript. Also fill them when empty, with a greyed out hint to indicate inheritance.

Then you can see what the defaults are before you save the page and reload.
It should be obvious whats happening and that you can optionally change them to override it.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
ccagle8 Wrote:
datiswous Wrote:

Agreed, but i think this may add complexity that isn't really necessary. I think our edit screen is pretty sparse as-is, and WP's edit screen has 20+ items on it.

Did you notice this last post of me is around 9 months old? It doesn't bother me so much anymore. I do agree with you on this answer.