Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Component names all mixed up after editing one entry
A few days ago I wanted to correct a typo that had crept into a component name. I double-clicked, entered the correct name and hit RETURN.

Afterwards, names of existing components had changed. It looked as if they (the names, not the component calls!) got shuffled somewhat. Trying to edit the changed names lead to even more shuffling. I had a look into components.xml and was able to verify the shuffling around. I'm currently trying to remedy the damage done by directly editing the file and seeing what comes of it. Edit: Seems to have worked.

Has anybody else experienced this before? GetSimple 3.0
I've never had to use more than 3 components.
From the other hand in most cases I use small snippets within templates or create my own functions instead of using plugins allowing to inject php code (dynpages, execphp...).
Maybe that was the reason along with many components ?

I still wonder why all components have to stay in 1 xml file, when havin e.g. 10 components at most 2 may be used per page.

Now when I think of it, I've noticed that a small website created by me had a broken menu.
In page management everything was ok at first glance, but page order was messed up, and it couldn't be changed in page's options (no additional menu plugins, pure GS functionality). I found out that a testpage created by the one who was managing this page wasn't physically deleted from /data/pages and screwed some things.
I didn't investigate further, but it may have something in common with error you experienced.

edit: I can't even remind myself if GS is creating backups of components during save.
If not, it should get into v3.1 to prevent a complete mess up of the website.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:Maybe that was the reason along with many components ?
No idea, it's possible. Got like 5 components only though and I don't know enough of GS' inner workings to relate it to any plugin.
I have heard about this before but was never able to get it to happen on my own local copy. Are you able to get the problem to come up when you want it to, polyfragmented? Any tips on how to reproduce this?

I believe it had something to do with the JavaScript messing up and/or the server not being sure what name goes with what component form when the data arrives from the browser.

yojoe Wrote:I can’t even remind myself if GS is creating backups of components during save.
It does, and after you save it will offer you to undo. Just like it does on other site-changing actions.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Zegnåt Wrote:I have heard about this before but was never able to get it to happen on my own local copy. Are you able to get the problem to come up when you want it to, polyfragmented? Any tips on how to reproduce this?
I can say that it seems to be the editing which screws things over here. Adding or deleting doesn't do any damage. I edited components.xml which rectified the names and just tried renaming a component in the backend again. That shuffled names around again. So it's back to editing the file now, heh.
Can't replicate it here.

Could you pm a copy of your components.xml file

and I'll try it again.

Mike.
My Github Repos: Github
PM sent. Thanks for looking into this.
Hey what ever happened with this? Last night I loaded about a hundred components into a theme (the site is muy complicado). Today I edited a couple and all of the existing component name to template tag relationships are askew, and all of the information stored in these components belong to components with other names and tags. The components that are above those edited are fine and still have the correct relationships. Those below it - and unfortunately, I was editing a component whose name began with 'b' - are all jumbled.

No amount of renaming is solving the issue.. the problem just compounds itself. Oddly enough, the site still appears as though this isn't the case - that is, even though the template tags are now calling information that differs from what it should call given the mix-up, the output is as it was before. However, this is a total editing nightmare and the client is not going to have any more fun dealing with this issue than I am. I was THIS close to having the site to the client... Any help would be much appreciated.
you have to manually fix the xml file, my guess is there is a duplicate slug or there was 2 renames at once or something.
maybe we can help if that is beyond your expertise
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
What version of GS are you using?
Editing the xml raw to get it back in order is the best option.
You could try using one of those show hidden input bookmarklet and do it that way
The way components are submitted is wrong and is to much work to fix, it is already fixed in 3.4 sooo
(2015-07-18, 23:35:01)shawn_a Wrote: you have to manually fix the xml file, my guess is there is a duplicate slug or there was 2 renames at once or something.
maybe we can help if that is beyond your expertise

No duplicate slugs afaik, but it's quite likely that I renamed two components at once before saving.  I'll refrain from doing so in future.  and thanks, I'll be fine to edit the .xml doc and I'll check out the bookmarklet of which you speak
(2015-07-19, 10:30:09)datiswous Wrote: What version of GS are you using?