Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I18N Gallery - Thumb making
Hello.
I'm gonna ask this again and be more specific, cause last topic was unanswered.
I'm making gallery type for I18N Gallery plugin. I know how to customize my gallery, add js etc but what about making thumbnails? I want to achieve simple output from my gallery type:
<inserted thumb><image link>

Can any1 help me or point me to right direction?
smogg Wrote:Hello.
I'm gonna ask this again and be more specific, cause last topic was unanswered.
I'm making gallery type for I18N Gallery plugin. I know how to customize my gallery, add js etc but what about making thumbnails? I want to achieve simple output from my gallery type:
<inserted thumb><image link>

Can any1 help me or point me to right direction?

Do you want to have a link to the image itself or to a page displaying the image (along with menu, etc.)?
Do you want to have the link itself show or rather the title?
Don't you want the thumbnail to be the link?

To get a custom output, you can call return_i18n_gallery('my-gallery-name') and then build your HTML using the values from the array returned from the function call.

Or you can create a gallery plugin: see plugins/i18n_gallery/plugin_supersized.php for an example.

But using one of the available gallery types is easiest ;-)
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:Do you want to have a link to the image itself or to a page displaying the image (along with menu, etc.)?

Hi mvlcek,
I've been searching all over the forums for an answer to this exact problem and I haven't had my "ah-ha" moment yet with all the php, functions, and plugins, but it is pretty obvious you are the man with the answers so I will ask you since you have been so helpful with my menu issues.

I guess what I'm trying to build is a very simple photo blog, but I just haven't been able to wrap my head around the blog, news, and item manager plug ins. They all seem too complicated when all i want is a simple way to call thumbnails of child pages, and put a previous and next button on the child pages themselves. I want the links to go to actual pages, not just the image itself.

So here are basically I am trying to find the simplest way to...

1: I want to set up several stand-alone galleries for different categories of my artwork. On each master category page I just want to have the links to the artwork sub pages be rows of custom thumbnails that I set up on that category's child pages using your i18N custom fileds plugin.

2: I want to put "previous & next" buttons on each individual art page as well. The pages will be self contained in their own categories, (i don't need the previous and next button to jump to the next category in line.)

3: When it goes to the page displaying the individual image and information, is there a way to make the image enlarge, like a gallery pop up effect? (The photo enlargement isn't a high priority because i could just link it to open full size in a new window, but a pop up effect would look more professional.)

Once again, I appreciate your help and expertise.
Dominic Wrote:I guess what I'm trying to build is a very simple photo blog, but I just haven't been able to wrap my head around the blog, news, and item manager plug ins. They all seem too complicated when all i want is a simple way to call thumbnails of child pages, and put a previous and next button on the child pages themselves. I want the links to go to actual pages, not just the image itself.

1: I want to set up several stand-alone galleries for different categories of my artwork. On each master category page I just want to have the links to the artwork sub pages be rows of custom thumbnails that I set up on that category's child pages using your i18N custom fileds plugin.

2: I want to put "previous & next" buttons on each individual art page as well. The pages will be self contained in their own categories, (i don't need the previous and next button to jump to the next category in line.)

3: When it goes to the page displaying the individual image and information, is there a way to make the image enlarge, like a gallery pop up effect? (The photo enlargement isn't a high priority because i could just link it to open full size in a new window, but a pop up effect would look more professional.)

Sorry for answering late, but I just saw this post.

OK, what about this:
  • install I18N Special Pages
  • create a special page type gallery with special fields thumbnail (image field). Set a custom view HTML/PHP, where you use return_i18n_search_results(...) to search for all pages of this category (from tags), compare them with the current page and display links to the previous and next gallery.
  • create the galleries
  • for each gallery create a special page - use the tags to specify a category and include the gallery on it
  • for each category create a page which includes a (% searchresults addtags=_special_gallery tags=the_category component=gallery-index %)
  • create a component gallery-index which specifies how to display a thumbnail/link to a gallery page.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Dominic Wrote:
mvlcek Wrote:Do you want to have a link to the image itself or to a page displaying the image (along with menu, etc.)?

Hi mvlcek,
I've been searching all over the forums for an answer to this exact problem and I haven't had my "ah-ha" moment yet with all the php, functions, and plugins, but it is pretty obvious you are the man with the answers so I will ask you since you have been so helpful with my menu issues.

I guess what I'm trying to build is a very simple photo blog, but I just haven't been able to wrap my head around the blog, news, and item manager plug ins. They all seem too complicated when all i want is a simple way to call thumbnails of child pages, and put a previous and next button on the child pages themselves. I want the links to go to actual pages, not just the image itself.

Hi Dominic,

http://elemisdesign.com/demos/delphic/portfolio-1.html

this is the plain html version of this; I have converted this template to GS, and I have the portfolio page using i18n Special Pages; the only thing i haven't finished yet is the previous and next buttons for the special pages view; in the end, the simplest way to do that might be to specify those links in the actual page, using 2 different 'link' fields; it depends on how automated it needs to be and how many images will be managed.

as far as pop up functionality, that's just basic prettyphoto and jquery; you're best off finding a template you like that already has that and then converting it to GS;

the way i have the portfolio special page configured, if you add any content to the special page, the grid thumbnail links to a detail page; if you leave the content empty, the image pops up into a lightbox gallery; there are many ways it can be configured based on preference;

-marc
You can also use the i18n gallery thumb script for your own nefarious purposes.

http://localhost/gs/plugins/i18n_gallery/browser/pic.php?p=folder/image.jpg&w=16&h=16
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
shawn_a Wrote:You can also use the i18n gallery thumb script for your own nefarious purposes.

http://localhost/gs/plugins/i18n_gallery/browser/pic.php?p=folder/image.jpg&w=16&h=16

that's pretty cool; i'm typically including timthumb within my template folder, and using that... but this is good info to know about...! anyone know if the parameters for that similar to timthumb?

-marc
alienee2 Wrote:
shawn_a Wrote:You can also use the i18n gallery thumb script for your own nefarious purposes.

that's pretty cool; i'm typically including timthumb within my template folder, and using that... but this is good info to know about...! anyone know if the parameters for that similar to timthumb?

-marc

Very similar, but I am hesitant to use it, cause of the major security issues it had recently, and its widespread use.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix