Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GS 3.0 for multi subdomains
Hi there.

Dont really know where to put this.

Basically I played today to make a GS version that can handle mutli subdomains. This is just a quick thing and needs more work have currently worked on it from localhost just. But what I did is made that the domain name
is the key to all upload/pages/user files etc. Thus a user logs in under

peter.mydomain.com

then he will only see his pages and upload etc and the themes will be controlled seperatly for him all from 1 instance of GS installed. the subdomain must just point to the normal index.php file of GS and it will make the split internally.

this is just a proof of concept. I have also added some defines to be used in plugins to be able to work in the multi subdomain enviroment

GSSITEURLUPLOADPATH
GSSITEURLOTHERPATH
GSSITEURLPAGESPATH
GSSITEURLTHUMBNAILPATH
GSSITEURLTHEMESPATH

It works on mine seperating everything uploading editing etc with no problem and plugins also work (those provided).

This does not allow for a site admin yet, stuff that can be added if it is decided to take this forward. Idea was just to see how easy it can be done and how fast.

I have not tested it with a clean install yet. Worked from my box.

Hope it can help somebody

thanks

Johannes
Stopped developing on GS Plugins. Anybody welcome to take the projects over. Thanks for all the support all.
Note this version is like I said for localhost, still have to add creating entries for new domains.
You will notice under backup / uploads/ data pages/ data other/ data users / data upload/ data thumbs / themes the domain name exists that the site is configured for. this means I still have to add that for a new site it creates the appropriate directories as you need them.

Just proof of concept, keeping all config appart via the domain name.

Can be use for mutli domain also, but that means parking domains on your server and pointing to this dir. have not tested that, will test later.

hope I make sense, (english bad again today)
Stopped developing on GS Plugins. Anybody welcome to take the projects over. Thanks for all the support all.
O yes, I tried to comment all places where I changed code with

//johannes

might have missed a few spots.

all just to see if this is a direction to follow ?

tx
Johannes
Johannes,

I think this is more like a feature request, extending GS core capabilities
I do not know if GS stays "simple" that way ;=)

well about the techniques I can't say anything, I am not a programmer, but it looks promising for those who will care for a full bunch of sites
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie Wrote:Johannes,

well about the techniques I can't say anything, I am not a programmer, but it looks promising for those who will care for a full bunch of sites

hi there. The way I did it was to actually change nothing of the working of GS. All work and look as normal you dont even know it is doing it seperatly but in the background you actually share 1 install of GS. this makes for easy updates to gs and sharing of plugins.

Idea is to have a admin per domain name and then later have a site admin that can view all the domains registered on the GS install and edit there pages and uploads etc.

main thing is to make the core automatically switch the setup per domain.

if I have time I will see what it takes to make it configurable to be per domain or as single install, not that hard I believe, like I said proof of concept to get a direction on how multi site domains can be handled.

thanks for input

Johannes
O yes
username : admin
password : enter
Connie Wrote:Johannes,

hi there. setup a example site to explain what it doesn. Here is 2 urls

http://gs1.dominion-it.co.za/
http://sandra.dominion-it.co.za/index.php (note sandra requires the index.php need to fix on my server this not related to GS)

Both are seperate, seperate login, sepereate pages, seperate themes etc. share the same plugin and GS install thought.

can play, login for gs1 is
admin
enter

login for sandra is

admin
sandra

add pages etc and see the effect. both are from same GS install.
Last note on this, this is more meant for a reseller type solution where one can have a hosting space
and park your clients on your domain and point them to your route, the GS will then simple adapt to there
config etc as needed. you just have to create all the subdirs in gs in the folders as describe for there domain name to let it work.

But this is a concept run.

Thanks