Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
installation woes
I've uploaded Get Simple 1.7 to two different hosts. The first one worked perfectly. The second gives me this when I get to the installation: Unable to continue: Unable to write config file. CHMOD 777 on the folders /data/ and /backups/ and retry

I've checked and the folders are set to chmod 755. Is there something I can request of the host? So far the only thing they've said is that setting the chmod to 777 is dangerous as it leaves "a HUGE security hole "

I've checked this forum but have not seen any fixes for this problem. Is there one?

thanks - this is a learning curve for me as it is my first cms system I'm trying to customize
There is no real fix for this I think. You could skip the installation process and copy files from an already installed instance but this too will probably give file writing problems with the administration interface when you want to change something.

I thought CHMOD 777 was no security risk if a server is properly set up, just bad rumours about it? Anyone that can back that up with some links?

I haven’t seen many host nowadays that won’t give you as a customer full control over the CHMOD through FTP.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Here's how it went.
The host changed the data and back up files to chmod 777 because somehow when I did it the other night it didn't make any difference.
I was then able to complete the registration process and get the site online. Then I went back into the files and changed the chmod to 755 as recommended and I was still able to use the site after that.
There's nothing like a little perseverance to get the job done.
thanks for the input
@debl - what host are you using? This might help others that experience the same problem.

Thanks for your help on troubleshooting this Zegnat. You really understand GS well and as I intended.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
to answer your question Chris - the troublesome installation was onto a site hosted by blacksun.ca
and the easy installation was with bluehost

thanks again