Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
link to local page does not update when Slug/URL is changed
mistakenly added to the google code area where I know can close it but here's a description of the issue.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. create page one.
2. create page two and link (via text in the content) to page one using the link to local page drop-down option
3. change the URL of one to won.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
I would have expected the link on page two to be updated to won. But it stays as one.

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
Using v3.0 on a Unix server

Please provide any additional information below.
I have a few customers on the system who periodically realise they need to change an URL.
As much as we can agree that changing URLs on a website isn't the best thing to be doing it can occur.
They all assumed (as I did) that using the 'link to local page' option would create an internal link to that page which would update should the pages URL change.

As it stands they have to go to each page containing links and check/change the links. - Or I have to download the XML files and do a search and replace.

Has anyone got a better solution, is this working as designed or is this a bug?
nitsuj Wrote:mistakenly added to the google code area where I know can close it but here's a description of the issue.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. create page one.
2. create page two and link (via text in the content) to page one using the link to local page drop-down option
3. change the URL of one to won.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
I would have expected the link on page two to be updated to won. But it stays as one.

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
Using v3.0 on a Unix server

Please provide any additional information below.
I have a few customers on the system who periodically realise they need to change an URL.
As much as we can agree that changing URLs on a website isn't the best thing to be doing it can occur.
They all assumed (as I did) that using the 'link to local page' option would create an internal link to that page which would update should the pages URL change.

As it stands they have to go to each page containing links and check/change the links. - Or I have to download the XML files and do a search and replace.

Has anyone got a better solution, is this working as designed or is this a bug?

Works as designed.

Solution could be a plugin checking the pages for links and displaying links to edit these pages, when a slug changes on save.

Other solution would be plugin automatically updating the links - potentially more dangerous.

P.S.: Same problem occurs if you switch from/to fancy urls or change the custom url pattern.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.