Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
MLD email newsletter plugin
tobo Wrote:I had the same issue but once the SMTP settings are in it started working fine.

Which SMTP settings did you fill in? The ones belonging to the domain in question?
leenm Wrote:A SMTP server and port are required. Usually something like "localhost" and "25". The system doesn't use the PHP mail function.

I think we hit the submit button at roundabout the same Wink

After filling in those 2 settings it works like a charm. Maybe a good idea to include the suggestion of those settings in the instructions?
Draxeiro Wrote:Maybe a good idea to include the suggestion of those settings in the instructions?
That's a good idea. I've also added a "required setting" message to the settings page in v0.7.
Hi everyone! Please help me! I have successfully installed the plugin, but when I try to send a test message I get

"Connection could not be established with host smtp.mentaltoy.com [Connection refused #111]"

Any ideas? I've just configured the newsletter but nothing happen!!

Thank you!
mentaltoy Wrote:Hi everyone! Please help me! I have successfully installed the plugin, but when I try to send a test message I get

"Connection could not be established with host smtp.mentaltoy.com [Connection refused #111]"

Any ideas? I've just configured the newsletter but nothing happen!!

Thank you!
I think you are trying to set the newsletter from an external account.
Set up an e-mail account on your hosting account within the domain you want to sent newsletter from.
Rest thing stays in the settings of your provider like smtp port, smtp address and so on.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Was playing around some with the newsletter settings and noticed that while a picture can be added to the template header, this doesn't seem possible in the template footer. If I try to add a picture there it will not add the path to the picture after selecting this via the 'browse server' button.

Very strange! Is this a bug or a deliberate measure?

I am using the latest version by the way (v0.7).

Second question: For a client I have exported the email addresses from his old joomla mysql db. What's the easiest way of adding these to the subscriber list of this plugin? Manually via the admin would be very cumbersome.

I would imagine that copy + pasting them to one of the XML files would be the way. But which one and how to best do this?
Draxeiro Wrote:Very strange! Is this a bug or a deliberate measure?
If it isn't working, it's a bug. You should be able to insert an image in the footer.
Draxeiro Wrote:I would imagine that copy + pasting them to one of the XML files would be the way. But which one and how to best do this?
I'm currently working on csv-import, so this will be easy in the next version. I think it will be ready by the end of this week.
Hi Leen,

Great plugin. Few questions though ...

- when I register user in front, user gets negative status but when I register same user in back user status is good?
- when I register an allready registered user in back again (twice!) the following happened: I get a message with a user with good status, but an empty screen with a user with a bad status?

See attachement
Hello I'm new to Get Simple. I've installed this great plugin and all works good. Only one question that I'm hot able to answer looking source code: is there a "technical" limit on subscribers number. For example 1500 subscribers will generate the protection of email server for spam?

Many thanks

Regards

A.Cescon

www.kaox.it
acescon Wrote:is there a "technical" limit on subscribers number. For example 1500 subscribers will generate the protection of email server for spam?
Usually there is some sort of limit. Currently there are no measurements taken to prevent errors with large numbers of email. However, there are plugins available for the mailer class. In the next version these will be implemented. I haven't heard of people experiencing these problems yet.
Rene Wrote:- when I register user in front, user gets negative status but when I register same user in back user status is good?
This issue should be fixed with version 0.7 of the plugin. Do you use the last version?
Rene Wrote:- when I register an allready registered user in back again (twice!) the following happened: I get a message with a user with good status, but an empty screen with a user with a bad status?
I can't reproduce this, because I don't exactly understand what you do, but I found a bug in the subscribe function so that must be it. It will be fixed in the next version.
leenm Wrote:
Draxeiro Wrote:Very strange! Is this a bug or a deliberate measure?
If it isn't working, it's a bug. You should be able to insert an image in the footer.
Draxeiro Wrote:I would imagine that copy + pasting them to one of the XML files would be the way. But which one and how to best do this?
I'm currently working on csv-import, so this will be easy in the next version. I think it will be ready by the end of this week.

Hi Leen,

Will that footer bug also be squashed also in the new release? I recently installed v0.7 and it is at least still in there.

When do you expect the version containing the csv import to be ready? Could use that very well for a client project.
Draxeiro Wrote:Will that footer bug also be squashed also in the new release?
Yes, I'm planning on it.
Draxeiro Wrote:When do you expect the version containing the csv import to be ready?
asap, can't give you a date, but it's almost finished.
Update available! Before you use the csv import for real, be sure to test it first to see how it works. I've tested the import with a csv-file exported from gmail and that worked fine.

Draxeiro Wrote:Will that footer bug also be squashed also in the new release? I recently installed v0.7 and it is at least still in there.
Not fixed yet, but I know what the problem is. There are two CKEditor instances on the same page. The filebrowser will only work for one instance. I'm working on a solution right now. I've released v0.8 so you can use the csv import already.
Draxeiro Wrote:Will that footer bug also be squashed also in the new release?
The bug is in the filebrowser script, which is part of GetSimple. To fix it:
1. Open /admin/filebrowser.php
2. Find line 45
Code:
if ($funcNum=="2"){
3. Replace with
Code:
if ($funcNum!=""){

That should do the trick. This fix will be included in the next GetSimple update.
Hi Leen,

Just downloaded the new version and implemented your suggested fix. Works like an absolute charm! The csv import is totally logical.

By the way, the plugin section in the admin lists this version as still v0.7, guess you forgot to update the version number in the code somewhere Smile

Great job!
Draxeiro Wrote:By the way, the plugin section in the admin lists this version as still v0.7, guess you forgot to update the version number in the code somewhere Smile
Forgot that indeed. I'm glad everything works now.

To all the users of the plugin: do you have feature requests?
leenm Wrote:To all the users of the plugin: do you have feature requests?

Actually I do, what I would welcome very much is a feature which will enable phased sending of the emails. Instead of all at once, to have the emails be sent out in batches.

In the past I used an offline newsletter sender called SmartSerialMail that works this way, enables you to set the size of the batch (number of emails) and the time it should wait between batches. A customer of mine sends thousands of emails that way (up to 8000) to its customer base without never any problems with the provider. So could be a good addition.
Draxeiro Wrote:Instead of all at once, to have the emails be sent out in batches.
Something like that is included in v0.8. The Swift Mailer class has a AntiFlood plugin, which allows batch sending is parts with a waiting period. Standard setting now is 100 emails each batch with a 30 seconds waiting period between batches. I could make these settings configurable.
leenm Wrote:Something like that is included in v0.8. The Swift Mailer class has a AntiFlood plugin, which allows batch sending is parts with a waiting period. Standard setting now is 100 emails each batch with a 30 seconds waiting period between batches. I could make these settings configurable.

Would be a great addition in my opinion!
Hey leenm, I have a request.

Could you toggle between wysiwyg and codemirror (the theme editor page uses codemirror for code syntax highlighting) depending on that user's wysiwyg preference checkbox under user settings?

I've attached my changes, but it doesn't check for user preferences, it just uses codemirror. It changes for header/footer textarea and email body textarea. From line 380-460 and line 635-757. The old wysiwyg code is commented out so I guess just a big if/else from the commented wysiwyg code to else my codemirror code would work on both sections.

Also note that this may not be the latest plugin version as I downloaded a few weeks ago.

Thanks!
Hey, also a request.
Liking the plugin in general and how it works.
But would want to be able to group contacts. In my case i would want to send a newsletter but in different languages. So would be nice to group them so i could send an english to one group and swe to another.
Thanks for a good plugin
A bug i found that prevents it from working correctly in version 0.8:

If i press View & Send Newsletter before pressing the Save button i get the following error:

Notice: Undefined variable: lettercontent in /plugins/mld-newsletter.php on line 212
Notice: Undefined variable: lettertitle in/plugins/mld-newsletter.php on line 262
Notice: Undefined variable: alreadysend in /plugins/mld-newsletter.php on line 265

So, if i save it first and then press the button, it works like a charm. However a fix for it would be very needed.

Thanks for the work on the plugin!
Hi,
tried every combination for the SMTP settings and nothing works :-(

I know the smtp server settings are correct, but I constantly get the [Connection refused #111] error.

I've tried a different email account to the url I'm working on; tried a Gmail account and even created an email address from the subdomain/test domain I'm working on and still no joy.

I'm assuming that the server settings don't have to be " localhost " as this would cause a massive problem for loads of people!!

Could someone please create a dummy email account they know works for me to test..........please.

I know it's an ask, but if someone else tests an smtp account that definitely works and can supply me those details for testing I would be MASSIVELY appreciative. :-)
Having looked a bit more at this plugin it uses the Swift Mailer, and it would make more sense to use sendmail rather than SMTP or maybe give people the option to use either or.
Thay way if someone has a problem with SMTP they could use sendmail or vice versa.
Just a thought as have exhausted all SMTP combo settings now :-(