Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty URLs with multiple domains
Ok so just really getting into building some website and came across Get Simple the other day and love it. I have a bit of a question that I am sure is newbie enough for this section.

I am setting up multiple domains on the same hosting server. So my structure is like as follows:

/www
/domain1
/domain2
/domain3...blah blah

The GS install is being installed under the domain folder. That means all the files are in the domain1 folder not domain1/GS3.0 or what ever the container folder name was.

I modified the www/.htaccess file to point to domain1 and the pretty urls work. However I don't know what needs to be done for get the others working. I am sorry for such a basic question but this is the first time that I have had to touch a .htaccess.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.
The principle of GS is: Keep it simple! It is a program for one installation, it is not intended as a multi-domain-program.

However there are some postings here in the forum.

Do a search for "multi-domain"

But I do suggest to install one GS for each. Why not. It takes only 5 minutes to install and each installation can have it's separate administration

that will make your life easier and save a lot of energy to get some things done, which will be overwritten with the next update.

Do an install in each directory for each site and it will be ok

you cannot expect to get support and solutions for every problem that you create by trying to tweak GS to work in an un-intended way even that the community here is helpful.

Just stick on the easy way. that is my suggestion.
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
A better way to set that up would be to go into your web host's control panel and assign each domain to the appropriate subfolder on the server. The subfolder would then be the root directory of that particular site, and you shouldn't need to mess with .htaccess files at all. Each site will then need its own install of GS, but I can't think of a good reason not to do that.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to do, though.
Thanks for the responses. I think this is where my newness comes into the picture.

I have done just as you both have suggested which is to have a sub-folder under the root. Each sub-folder did have it's own install of GS. However upon messing around some more I found my main domain (first domain) had installed wordpress into the root. Well the .htaccess file was messing me up. So I uninstalled the first domain wordpress and dropped the GS .htaccess to replace what was there. That then allowed all my new domains to show pretty URLs.

I think I am good for now. Have spent the past few days playing with PHP for the first time ever and slowly I am starting to find myself falling in love with it.

Thank all again.
Great to hear that!

Keep on!
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18