Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
site_rss - A crude, simple RSS feed for Get-Simple
I'd like feedback on this plugin I'm working on. You drop it in /plugins (of course), and it creates a file named "feed" in your site root. It is based on the existing code that creates the sitemap.xml files.

Right now, it only runs when you change a page. There might be more places that should update it, but I don't know what those are. Ideas?

I've not actively coded PHP in a while, so this is very basic code. caveat emptor

The RSS file now validates.

If anyone has other bits they want in there, I'm open to suggestions, just include link to a page that describes the option and how to implement it.

Using the meta description of the home page as the description for the feed.

There is some silliness in picking the home page. Will probably rewrite it later.
Connie's avatar scares me
Tobarja Wrote:I'd like feedback on this plugin I'm working on. You drop it in /plugins (of course), and it creates a file named "feed" in your site root. It is based on the existing code that creates the sitemap.xml files.

Right now, it only runs when you change a page. There might be more places that should update it, but I don't know what those are. Ideas?

I've not actively coded PHP in a while, so this is very basic code. caveat emptor

The RSS file itself doesn't quite validate yet. I need to figure out where a few bits of site data are located.
Before I test it out, what is (or will be) the benefit of using this rather then GS's default sitemap.
sitemap is just to help search engines find pages on your site.

RSS is to allow people to subscribe to your site and have new posts/content appear in their feed/rss reader.
Tobarja Wrote:sitemap is just to help search engines find pages on your site.

RSS is to allow people to subscribe to your site and have new posts/content appear in their feed/rss reader.
I miss-read your post.. Too much coding today!
No problem.

Just uploaded new version.
The plugins works and would validate if the rss title,description,link were set and the plugin filename was rss.rss
mikeh Wrote:The plugins works and would validate if the rss title,description,link were set and the plugin filename was rss.rss
The original was missing a few fields. I found a few of them, but didn't update the version number in the file.

I'm hacking on description now.

I didn't think the filename of the feed was important.
An alternative, if you want RSS feed for specific content, ist the I18N Search plugin, see here.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.