Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Custom Title - Support
There's an issue with News Manager (updated) 3.0 and up, see here:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...1#pid52121
(This happens because get_custom_title_tag() uses global $data_index instead of global $title.)
(2011-10-23, 20:33:37)ePirat Wrote: Hello,
Due to a request I've created a custom title plugin.

FYI - I just tried to use this plugin with 3.3.7 and it deletes backslashes "\" from text.
To duplicate this problem...

Open a new page and type \\\\\\\\\  then save it twice.
Each time you save, 1/2 of the slashes will be deleted!
Eventually all the slashes will be deleted.
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
What would you ever use a backslash in the title for? Smile
I'm not defending the fact it doesn't work properly but I think that no one really cares, it's been years and no one had noticed until now.
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
(2016-01-17, 09:07:28)TeeJay Wrote: What would you ever use a backslash in the title for? Smile
I'm not defending the fact it doesn't work properly but I think that no one really cares, it's been years and no one had noticed until now.

It removes backslashes from ANY TEXT - not the title. Smile

The instructions given in my previous message was just a quick way to confirm the issue...

My site is for micro-controller programs and the "C" language (Unix uses lots of back slashes in scripts) uses \r\n as a escape sequence to hard code line ends, newline, and other special characters. In addition technical programs often use text pictures in the program to denote wave forms etc. A programmer would run into this. This glitch ruins the program listing.

This is an example of a UNIX regex expression that separates text at word boundaries:
Code:
(?<=\W)(?=\w)|(?<=\w)

example wave form
        ________
       /               \ | end of data
___/                 \|_____  
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Looks like this plugin doesn't work well on servers with magic quotes enabled.

Until there's a fix, a workaround would be disabling them in your site, by adding this to the beginning of your root .htaccess file:

Code:
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

I suggest you make a backup of your site first, just in case. And then check if everything works ok by editing and saving some pages.
(2016-01-17, 22:38:03)Carlos Wrote: Looks like this plugin doesn't work well on servers with magic quotes enabled.

Until there's a fix, a workaround would be disabling them in your site, by adding this to the beginning of your root .htaccess file:

Code:
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

I suggest you make a backup of your site first, just in case. And then check if everything works ok by editing and saving some pages.

Thanks for the help!
I decided I can live without the plugin but wanted to document it for someone else that may have the problem. It took me two days to figure out what the problem was - I kept thinking that Ckedit was doing something Sad
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Hello,
Custom Title seems to be a good feature but because i am not a pro there are problems to understand the short existing installation procedure. Can you give me a little assistance + step by step instruction where 1st: to put the variable and 2nd : where to place the new modified title. I will modify the name/title of the website only to be the same on all pages.
Thanks for help.

Hello,
Due to a request I've created a custom title plugin.
This plugin allows you to change the default title tag, you can use the following variables: %sitename% Name of the website (as defined in GetSimple setup) %pagetitle% Title of the current page (as defined in the editor - the one display in the page body) %parenttitle% Title of the parent's page %menutitle% Title of the current page's menu item (if it has one)
You can also define custom title tags for a specific page (overriding the site default) in the editor options -> Custom title tag (empty for default)

Usage:
Go to the Plugins page, then click on the Custom Title Settings Link. Here you can set a sitewide title (default) which is used when no specific title is set for a page.
To define a title tag for a specific page, go to the Page overview, then open the More Options menu and change the Custom title tag (empty for default).

You can use the following variables:
%sitename% Name of the website (as defined in GetSimple setup)
%pagetitle% Title of the current page (as defined in the editor - the one display in the page body)
%parenttitle% Title of the parent's page
%menutitle% Title of the current page's menu item (if it has one)

Changelog:
Version 1.3
  • Fixed bud which allowed html code in title tag, which could cause unexpected behavior
  • Fixed issue which escaped quotes with a lot of backslashes on systems where magic_quotes are enabled
  • Added support for special characters
Version 1.2
  • Fixed styling issue with the custom title input form in page settings
  • Fixed issue in the options page of the plugin
Version 1.1
  • Fixed that you couldn't set custom title for any page
Version 1.0
  • First Version

Detailed installation instructions you can find on the plugin page:
Plugin Link – Download
The plugin doesn't set the website name. It allows you to write an html title ( eg between the <title> tags in the html <head> section ) for each page of your site.

When the plugin is working you will see a Custom Title box in Page Options and you just write in what you want. You don't need to use the %things% .
I've just released a new version (1.4) that hopefully fixes some of the slash removal issues when magic quotes are enabled that some users were experiencing.
Nice to see you're still maintaining this plugin.

I found a small issue: the custom title input is not displayed as expected because of a typo: <lable> instead of <label>
(2019-05-11, 05:49:35)Carlos Wrote: Nice to see you're still maintaining this plugin.

I found a small issue: the custom title input is not displayed as expected because of a typo: <lable> instead of <label>

Thanks a lot for reporting that, I've updated the plugin to fix that. Let me know if you find other issues, especially related to using it together with the News Manager plugin.
Yeah, I have to check that. As soon as I do I'll tell you if I find any issues.

Check the plugin description in Extend - you have not enclosed some code between `...` and is not being displayed.
(2019-05-11, 06:52:55)Carlos Wrote: Yeah, I have to check that. As soon as I do I'll tell you if I find any issues.

Check the plugin description in Extend - you have not enclosed some code between `...` and is not being displayed.

Thanks! Fixed that.
I've just done some quick tests and it seems it works fine with latest News Manager versions.

Another small issue: with debug mode enabled you get this:
Code:
<title><br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: parent_title in <b>[...]\plugins\custom_title.php</b> on line <b>111</b>

Do you have a github repo?

I see you corrected the description in Extend, but you should remove <code> and </code> tags, or else use Markdown's ``` (instead of ` as I suggested)
I have tested your plugin V 1.5.
Apparently the Multilanguage Plugin I18N (3.3.1) is not supported.
The custom-title does not switch to the selected language.
The old version 1.3 worked perfectly.
(2019-05-12, 19:31:41)gs-gary Wrote: I have tested your plugin V 1.5.
Apparently  the Multilanguage Plugin I18N (3.3.1) is not supported.
The custom-title does not switch to the selected language.
The old version 1.3 worked perfectly.

Would also be really happy if this would work. I get the same scenario as above. V1.3 works but not V1.5. Great plugin otherwise.
(2019-05-11, 18:33:23)Carlos Wrote: Do you have a github repo?

https://github.com/ePirat/CustomTitlePlugin