Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comments on Page (jibberbock integration)
Hi, if somebody knows http://www.jibberbook.com/ is a PHP APP that allows comments on page, like guestboock, without a Database.

What do you think on integrate it with GS ?
perhaps a template page with a component add-on ?
I have tried moving thhe jibberbook files, but i've give up because path problems... if somebody is interesed to... Smile
I've used Fcp.Commentator on a few test sites using GetSimple.
http://felix.plesoianu.ro/index.php/page...ommentator

I also like FlatFileGuestbook.
http://www.printedexistence.com/designhe...stbook.php

Both are flatfile based.

Peace.

homershines
I don’t think comments should be part of the GetSimple back-end, I believe that would stray to far from the path GetSimple has chosen to follow.

Of course you should be completely free to use whatever system in your theme you want, and if you run into troubles with that I bet you could find someone here that wouldn’t mind to help you out.

Jibberbook doesn’t sound that hard to implement, what kind of path problems did you experience? The only problem I can see with it is if you would like to have different comment sections on every page. Jibberbook is built much like a guest book and although I haven’t tested it I have the feeling it won’t be able to manage different storages for different pages.

This might also be a problem with the system homershines tells us about, Fcp.Commentator. It says on the website that it is really easy to use and only specifies usage for 1 page.

Comment systems that do work per page and are the most easy to plug into any theme are external services. These are often used on Tumblr sites where you can’t upload anything. Some examples would be DISQUS, IntenseDebate and cmmnt. However, outsourcing comments might not be smart.

In the end I guess it all comes down to where GetSimple is made for, “small 1 to 15 page brochure sites”. Do you even need comments on those?
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Hi Zegnåt, thanks for your comments..
I agree with you: we are talking about a small site, not a blog or forum features, but I think It will be great allowing guestbooks/comments in 1 page.
The idea of giving visitors interaction is very persuasive =)

as I told you, I have tryed jibberbook, and it is really easy to make it work "as-is"
What I don't like is the structure of the giving app.

.. ((webfolder))
index.php (implemented file for guestbook)
[jibberbook-admin]
[jibberbook-theme]
[jibberbook-inc]
jiberbook-file1
jiberbook-file2
jiberbook-file3
jiberbook-files..n
contact.php
whatever.php

I was trying to change it to
.. ((webfolder))
[jibberbook]
index.php (jibberbook implemented file)
contact.php
template.php

i mean, having the jibberbook-file (the one that adds and show the comments) one level up of the jibberbook-app-folder

i have tried, but not 100% results..

actually, if implemented on a GS Theme... how to acces to jiberbook admin?

thanks again, regards from costa del sol, andaluzia
focoves Wrote:guestbooks/comments in 1 page.
Aah, OK. When I read comments I thought more of havin a comment section on every page rather then a guestbook like page.

focoves Wrote:i mean, having the jibberbook-file (the one that adds and show the comments) one level up of the jibberbook-app-folder
I don’t have the time right now to walk through all of Jibberbook, but normally it’s not a good idea to change anything about the folder structure the app uses. It might make your theme folder look more messy, but none should be able to notice this when browsing your website anyway.

focoves Wrote:actually, if implemented on a GS Theme... how to acces to jiberbook admin?
By pointing your browser to the URL. The admin will now be positioned in your theme folder so that is where you’ll have to go. If you want the admin to be somewhere else you will be forced to rewrite big parts of it as you’d be spreading the Jibberbook files all over your server. If you can’t access the folder inside your theme folder you will have to change access rights in the .htaccess file, but I believe you will have access.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Hmmm?

The scale limitations of GetSimple are issues that I haven't really thought about much.
Maybe I should. I am an unorthodox newbie muddling my way through. But I really like this program.

Anyway, I have used those comments scripts as parts of various templates.
To create for instance, gallery page comments or media page comments.
I haven't used them for every page on a site. never considered that.

Using them this way, I'm able to use separate scripts and separate comments folders.

If the file storage presents a problem, I've thought about one of the comments scripts like....

Comments Ram:
http://www.dscripts.net/scripts/php/comments-ram/

or

Comments Manager:
http://www.dscripts.net/scripts/php/comments-manager/

which can stop storage of old posts at a certain number, so all posts are recent entries.

I've even messed around using a Shout Box for comments.

I like YShout:
http://yurivish.com/yshout/

Just my thoughts.

Peace.

homershines
homershines Wrote:I haven't used them for every page on a site. never considered that.
And there is what put me off before. I assumed that when focoves brought up comments we were talking about supporting comments on every page. Apparently we were talking about just 1 page for user interaction all the time. But I think comments everywhere would make an interesting case to see how extensible we can make GetSimple themes.

homershines Wrote:I've even messed around using a Shout Box for comments.
That is completely fine, too, as long as you’re sticking to only one page…

Maybe I should try to set up a GetSimple installation with comments on every page and see how it works out. I bet one of the two scripts you mentioned could do it with the right settings. This will be the first thing I do once my hosting is back online.

So to all of you: What do you think are the best flat-file comment systems?
I like those that I mentioned already, but I also was impressed with jibberbook.
Beat there are quite a few of them out there.

Peace.

homershines