Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug fixes for GetSimple 1.71
I did this before with a couple of simple GetSimple 1.7 bugs. Only one of the bugs I addressed there was properly fixed by GetSimple 1.71 so I thought I would do it again.

The archive file attached to this post is a clean download of GetSimple 1.71 with the following files changed:
Quote:
  • /admin/inc/theme_functions.php
  • /admin/lang/en_US.php

Fixing the following problems:

Quote:theme_functions.php
  • Failing get_component() function when PHP shorttags are disabled on the server.
    [Forum: 201]
  • Problem with pubDate only being half implemented in the menu_data() function.
    [Forum: 233]

en_US.php
  • Displaying a faulty accesskey hint for SIDE_EDIT_THEME.
    [Forum: 203]

I hope someone has use for the download.

Keep an eye on this topic! I am currently dissecting some of the code to take away Uploadify (for the time being) which will fix the upload problems while no longer putting your server in danger of faulty files being uploaded by others.

For the record: this is not an official GetSimple built, I simply called is 172 as a reference for myself. It has not yet been bug tested either, so if there are any new problems don’t hesitate to tell me!

---

Update:
Quote:
  • 2009-12-16 10:35 (CET): Re-uploaded, I spotted a typo in one of the fixes.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
People need to realize that fixing the get component function now will SAVE A HEADACHE later. I didn't realize it was a problem until I looked at the source code. Then I fixed it and it threw my stylesheet out of wack.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
This built picks up where the above updated GetSimple version stops. My try to get uploading functioning for everyone again! How exactly? By taking out the non-working and insecure AJAX uploading by Uploadify that was giving us so many problems.

So instead of fancy multi-file uploading and progress bars you will have a plain upload field, the original fall-back form behind all the jQuery goodness. Let’s choose secure and working above failed but pretty!

Of course I hope Chris can get the access permissions straightened out in GetSimple version 2, let’s hope full uploading capacity getting reintroduced there.

On the matter of uploading:
Quote:Removed files:
Quote:
  • /admin/inc/upload-ajax.php
  • /admin/template/js/uploadify/
  • /admin/template/js/uploadify/uploader.swf
  • /admin/template/js/uploadify/jquery.uploadify.js

Changed files:

Quote:
  • /admin/edit.php — removed an element that was there only "for the jquery uploader", no longer contains an ID to invoke Uploadify (probably killed uploading capabilities on this page altogether).
  • /admin/upload.php — removed an element that was there only “for the jquery uploader”.
  • /admin/template/header.php — no longer calls Uploadify Javascript files.
  • /admin/template/sidebar-files.php — no longer contains an ID to invoke Uploadify.
  • /admin/template/js/jquery.getsimple.js — no longer applies Uploadify to certain elements.

Another long standing feature request is a description option. So I added it (screenshot) to this highly untested built.

On the matter of describing:
Quote:Changed files:
Quote:
  • /index.php — now adds support for the extra variable to be used.
  • /admin/edit.php — added field to the editor.
  • /admin/inc/changedata.php — will write the new field into the XML file of the page.
  • /admin/inc/theme_functions.php — added get_page_description() and get_header() supports this new function.

Be cautious! I just worked through the files and cut stuff out. I have no idea whether I squashed every reference to Uploadify neither do I know whether everything still works. I do not have time to test this built right now, will do it once I have time tomorrow. If you have time to test it before me, please do, and report back with your findings.

For the record: this is not an official GetSimple built, I simply called is 172 as a reference for myself. It has not yet been bug tested either, so if there are any new problems don’t hesitate to tell me!

---

Update:
Quote:
  • 2009-12-16 10:42 (CET): Re-uploaded, now with another unstable function: descriptions.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
You're my hero of the week for getting that description bit in there. I tried doing it myself, but I was tripping over code left and right.

Much appreciated!
andymci Wrote:You're my hero of the week for getting that description bit in there. I tried doing it myself, but I was tripping over code left and right.
Let me know how it works out, everything is still pretty untested. (Apart from knowing that it runs.)
Hi, there is no description field, and files still no upload in your version GS172u.zip
no description field in admin page area
Vadimka Wrote:no description field in admin page area
There should be, it’s under the page options button. So it is hidden with the other extra fields when you first load a new page in your admin panel.
@Zegnat thanks for these fixes, I just stumbled across Get Simple the other day and thought i would mess around with it. I am a big fan of Wordpress as a CMS, but Get Simple is just so slim and easy, its great. Thanks!
Thank you for this great release.
Simplify, optimize, minimalize but keep the core.