Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing Terra Firma theme
Greetings,

I am attempting to edit the Terra Firma theme. I want to remove the right hand sidebar and use the entire space for content.

I have accessed the theme editor and removed the sidebar div / component.

<div id="sidebar">
<?php get_component('sidebar'); ?>
</div>

This removes the sidebar - but there is still a blank spot where the sidebar used to be.

I tried looking for a width variable to adjust- so that I can remove the blank spot - but no such bird exists.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
It seems to me that you have no idea of CSS, is that right?

one way to find out what to do is:
use Webdeveloper-Addon in Firefox
load the page
identify the elements which must be edited.

I tested:

0) main.css is the the stylesheet for the theme
1) the sidebar is 266 pixel width
2) content is 655 or 950 pixel (there are 3 content-definitions)

so if you want to have the content take the complete width, add the 266 pixel (from sidebar) to content

I edited the css, attached it here as zip
test if that is what you want to acchieve
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
I know of CSS yes, but I failed to realize that CSS also controls the general theme function.

Thank you very much Connie for all your help to every one here Smile
Second Question regarding editing this theme.

I have edited images bg02 and bg04 from 500 pixels to 432 pixels ( I want to eliminate the large open space at the top of the page.

I have tried looking in the main CSS file for specified pixel heights for the gap / open space height at the top of the page. However, all I find is references for specific sections below that.

This information is not listed in the template.php file either.
if you mean the brown shadow strip above the white space with the logo, this is done by the background image bg04.jpg

Code:
#header {
    height: 211px;
    background: url(bg/bg04.jpg);
}

it is strange that the background-image has a height of 500 or 432 pixel (as you cut now) but the height of the header is defined to be 211px by the css

I cut the bg04.jp even more, I cut off from the top, so it is now 388px and the brown space on (visually) top of the header is minimized
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie,

I tried using the modified back ground image file you did - but the length attributes need to be modified.
I am adding a screen shot I took.
There must be something you configure in the css file.
sorry, maybe somebody else can assist you, I have no time today to look into that and to clear that
|--

saint,

the live website seems to be in order now, how did you resolve the gap problem? It's always good to post the solution to the problem so others can benefit from it. Smile
The gap solution is not fixed ?
Connie could not help me solveit.
The screen capture shows that I still have a gap at the top - just a different colour.
I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to some one - to provide instructions on how to remove the gap shown on the screen shot.
I have pay pal.
thats a wierd one, no idea where that padding is coming from.

but you could edit main.css , line:61 and add

Code:
width: 1000px;
margin: 0 auto;
position: relative;
top: -60px;

That should do it for you... 8)
My Github Repos: Github
saint Wrote:I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to some one - to provide instructions on how to remove the gap shown on the screen shot.
I have pay pal.

See the attached CSS: the necessary changes are marked with /* CHANGED ... */
(don't use it directly because I changed it to have absolute links)

Donations to http://mvlcek.bplaced.net ;-)
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Thank you both for your quick answer !

mvlcek - donation was made Smile