Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your GetSimple installation hackable?
This is a big question these days. Version 1.71 fixed parts of the problem, but disabled uploading. So many of us have been setting out to edit different core files and try to fix the problems ourselves.

Today I was a little bored and search out some different vulnerabilities. I made a file able to run everything automatically by just giving it the address to a GetSimple based website.

Check out this video to see me run the hack on a 1.71 and a 1.7 installation.

This script uses 2 different vulnerabilities, of which only 1 has been fixed by version 1.71. Therefore I’m not going to share the source (yet). Please be patient while we try to get everything sorted in version 2.

If you want to be sure about your installation, just give me the link to your website and I’ll hit the button. All results will be shared through the forums private messages function so others won’t know whether you are vulnerable. I might be turning this script into a small website so you can do the check yourself, but no promises.

Edit:
Someone noted the text I was writing wasn’t too readable;

“This is my website.
Zegnåt.
Running on an editted [sic] version of GetSimple 1.71”

“This is Hacking GetSimple.
A clean installation of GetSimple version 1.7.”
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see a difference.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
The first time the hack tells me the installation is safe. The second time it states the page is hackable. That’s all this script does, as I’m not evil.

In the cases it tells you GetSimple is hackable I could, in theory, do anything I want on your hosting. In the most simple case I would change the admin account used by GetSimple and gain access to your page content… I’m actually working on a hack that will do exactly that.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
What.. so your saying that GetSimple is vulnerable, just a matter of time for someone to find the vuln and get in? Many hackers know who i am as i used to be in the scene. I moved out and tried to escape from it yet they still know my website.

So... we can make it more secure though? As you did with yours, right?
Visit my portfolio website: http://graphixant.com
Well, yes.

GetSimple has a bug in all versions prior to and including 1.7 that allows anyone to get files on your server. Version 1.71 fixes this, but breaks uploading functionality all together.

Another (still undocumented) bug I found yesterday gives people the ability to cripple your site. I’m not going to say too much about this ’til we got it patched though. But to be completely clear, this should be patched soon.

The hack I wrote just checks whether you are running a secure version of GetSimple. If you’re not, it tells me the site is hackable.